KISS' Lick it Up CD - Best Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshallrocks

Marshallrocks Forum Resident

Hey, a little up for this old topic! I read somewhere (here or on Kissfaq) that LIU, Animalize, Asylum and CN weren't the remastered versions on the SHM. Difficult to have a definitive answer on this. Precisely, Animalize was reported to have the same exact waveform as the West German pressing!

So, which master is used on the SHM-CD LIU from 2008? Original US? P33C? West german? 1997 remaster?

Besides, Discogs is really referencing the 1st LIU US CD pressing as a 1983 release, is it an error? Are you sure the first US CD release of LIU was released along all the discography in 1987?

Interestingly, I read this statement by a poster on Kissfaq: "Lick it Up to Crazy Nights - these were all issued on CD at the time of their release and were properly mastered. You don't want to bother with the 1997 Remasters, they are excessively bright and compressed compared to the originals."

LIU to CN were precisely the 4 SHM-CD reported to be the un-remastered versions. Could it be the Japanese made the same statement and so, as a "premium product" approach, chose to use the original US or P33C instead of the 1997 remasters?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

If you aren't apposed to digital downloads the new hi res version available at HDtracks and Prostudiomasters is the best digital version I have ever heard hands down.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I would get the Japanese P33C or PPD. First and second pressings and same mastering.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The remaster is fantastic...

andy75 likes this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Crazy Nights is better on the remaster...hell, every remaster was better!
    The original Crazy Nights CD is very, very thin...the remaster adds some much needed low end. It's not excessive, it just sounds correct!

6. Marshallrocks

Marshallrocks Forum Resident

I think I found the answer: the matrix barcode of the SHM-CD reads PHCR-6114. This was the 1993 release matrix code. The 1993 CD was the 4th Japanese pressing, it was From the 20th anniversary collection. I don't know which master it is. Same as P33C or US/WG?

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'd like to know as well as I'm looking to pick up the Creatures of The Night and Animalize SHM. On CD Japan they have two versions, one from 2012 that they claim is a repress of the 2008 and then another 2013 pressing that they claim is the 1997 US mastering. Pretty confusing if you ask me.

Also, I'm trying to find a definite opinion on the Destroyer SACD, it seems the reviews on that one if very conflicting with those loving it or hating it.

8. Mij Retrac

Buy the hi res downloads of Animalize and Destroyer and the 97 mastering of Creatures. The Creatures hi res sounds better IMO but has the 85 mix of the title track.

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'm not set up for downloads at all, wouldn't even know where to begin to get it playing through my system. MP3 is as far as I've gone.

10. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Until Mobile Fidelity puts out an SACD I'll say the 90s remaster sounds really good with power in the rhythm section and guitars cutting through like a KISS album should sound.

11. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Have you heard Carmival of Souls or Revenge on Hi Res? I didn't even know that the whole Kiss catalog was available on HD Tracks.

12. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

And how about Hotter Than Hell? I love that album but never liked the sound quality, not even on the 97 remasters. Seems like it was recorded under water.

13. Mij Retrac

You need to get into the 21st century. ;)

Some of the best versions of albums are hi res downloads. I feel most of the KISS catalog is that way.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  14. Mij Retrac

I have all of these and all of them sound good. Hotter than Hell is definitely better sounding than any other version I have heard but it still doesn't sound good. There is only so much you can do with the sound of that one.

Ivand and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.