KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

GOD OF THUNDER (Demo)

The first time I heard this, my reaction was much like @William Smart's. It just didn't feel right at all, obviously based on what we knew the song to be after years of hearing the slowed-down, menacing DESTROYER version.

But you know what? On its own, this is pretty kick-ass! Had we come to know "God Of Thunder" in this format, we would have been denied the definitive "Demon" song that it became, but I think it would still be a fan favorite from this era. Having said that, it's easy to understand Ezrin's thinking, and why he made the changes he did. But I like Paul's version of this song a lot.

2. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Me too. But as a kid I loved the V

3. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Holy smokes! 1000 Pages!

SammyJoe, Curveboy, Lonesurf and 7 others like this.
  4. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Envious. What kind of condition?

William Smart likes this.
  5. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

Still have my vinyls too. I used to put new releases on tape and then save the vinyl. So most of them are in excellent shape. B4 I started taping them though they got beat no matter how hard I tried to keep them clean. I probably have 4 copies of the White Album, Dark Side, Apostrophe. Played the hell out of some of them trying to learn songs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

People (with my little impersonation of Paul) we're on the page 1000!
    Wow, this has been one helluva ride. That's really great and thanks for all the people here contributing.
    One of my absolute favorite threads here and it was great to see Kiss get such epic thread and talk around it surely deserved it.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

Well, obviously, after 40 some years, not terrific, but they’re still playable.

8. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Based on looks alone, it's hard to beat the Ibanez PS1 signature model -

[​IMG]

William Smart and ejluther like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

The Flying V. I don’t like his custom models at all. I think they look terrible. I’ve never liked any bass that Gene has played except the Gibson models. Call me more of a traditionalist (and you’d be right!).

10. Musicman1998

I'm the same way. Give me the Ripper any day over the Axe

11. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

+1

William Smart and Musicman1998 like this.
  12. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

I like the black vs. the Fractured Mirror version. But agree w @GodShifter I don't really care for it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

14. William Smart

Happy 1K

I don't know brother. If it had been released in that version back then the falsetto alone would have sunk it. Sorry sounds like KISS meets The BeeGees. Some unions are unnatural and should never be. A crime against nature. It's so wrong it sends shivers up my spine.

npgchris and Musicman1998 like this.
  15. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

For the KISStorians, when did KISS actually start using DiMarzios? I know Gene knew Mr. DiMarzio, but it's unclear when it contributed to their sound. Are there any old pix of Ace that could help date it? I still don't know how he got some of his tone.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Here's one from the cruise that KISS never played live as far as I know, check out Bruce's comments at the end.

17. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

18. William Smart

@npgchris my wife liked that version of GOT! I'm not sure if it's because of the quality of the song or because it's Paul, but she liked it. "it's not as bad as you claimed it was! I like it why don't you? " see what I have to endure? Lol and now she is singing it. She's going to sing it all day too. I just know it. See there is a god... Cause he just put me in hell:D

npgchris likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Ace used the Ovation Breadwinner for most of the first album.

It says here he put DiMarzios in it sometime in '73 but possibly replaced them before recording.

Ace Frehley | Non-Les Paul Guitars | 1973-1980

Just click where it says 'Breadwinner for detailed info and pics, can't link the page directly for some reason.

And then here it says he got the Les Paul Deluxe in late '73 and put DiMarzios in it before recording Hotter Than Hell.

Ace Frehley Les Paul - History 1973 to 1975

20. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Paul used a double neck on Detroit Rock City and KOTNW. ?!?!

21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The 'God of Thunder' demo is interesting because it really highlights what Bob Ezrin contributed to the song. The tempo change, Gene singing, all the weird noises and effects. In other words most everything that makes it great. I guess he didn't really transform it to the extent he did with Beth but he did a lot.

__
    also...

She

Rock Bottom

Strutter

Mainline

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

You are starting a VH Roth years song by song thread? That is great.
    I am starting to wonder if you are God!:D

23. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Nice. Are there any engineering geeks here who appreciate "reluctance" and pickups in the same sentence:

It is of course perfectly possible that Ace just put some chrome covers on the DiMarzios he had installed. Considering his later reluctance when it comes to the use of pickup covers over his DiMarzios it doesn't seem entirely likely though and a good guess would be that he had something like Gibson PAF's installed for the recording.

24. Musicman1998

And it will be really good cause we aren't doing For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

25. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

That guitar is gorgeous.

npgchris and William Smart like this.