KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Forum Resident

2. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Member

Yep I remember That on What's New Scooby Doo. UNDERRATED Scooby Doo Show IMO

3. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

i didn't realize they had earlier appearance. the KISS/Scooby-Doo movie was fantastic- and they just taped dialog for the next one!

4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Has anyone ever compared the Japanese LP pressings to the US? So many KISS collectors covet those pressings, but I wonder how they sound. I've found Japanese pressings, albeit the best vinyl quality, can be bright. Any thoughts?

5. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Wow, I forgot that we just past the anniversary of Eric's death. Though Peter will always be my favorite, I love Eric and am sad he isn't with us anymore

6. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

Strange Ways : Love the beat, sludgy, grinding. Peter sounds Sooo good. Love Gene in this, vocals and bass. The stand out though is Ace's solo. I think it's probably the best one so far out of the first two albums. For me anyways. This Parasite and Goin' Blind are my three favorites on this album. Probably goes against the general consensus, but what's gnu with that? I know a lot of people complain about the production of this album, but I like it. Against the grain like I said but gnu. So I dislike Kissn'Time and Theme immensely off the debut after that I basically love everything else. Thank the Gods they never played those two live, at least when I was getting into them. Would have ran for the door. The Doors. So at the end of the 2nd album my very favorites are Parasite, Goin'Blind and Strange Ways. The rest I only love.

Dressed To Kill is up next. This is where I became a fan. I was aware of the band from the first, but being a prog-snob I wrote them off. It was the tour for DTK that I basically became a fan. Lol and never looked back or regretted it.

Sorry it took so long to get to that last song. The Crim Fairy bestowed a blessing upon me and I've been lost in The Court ever sense. I told brother @npgchris I would finish and I try to be a lunatic of my word.:D

I hope everyone had a great time this holiday weekend. Blessed be, Peace

Paulo Alm, npgchris and GodShifter like this.
  7. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

So was the DTK tour the first time you saw them live?

"Love Theme From KISS" was a section of one of their early live tunes ("Acrobat") removed from the rest of the song. I like "Love Theme...", but on its own it's no great shakes. As part of "Acrobat" it's way cooler, IMO.

I was going to ask you if you ever remember them doing "Acrobat", but by DTK I'm pretty sure it was long gone from their repertoire. I think by the time the Hotter Than Hell tracks were added to their set list, that it was never played again. But I would think "Acrobat" would be a song that you would like.

Thanks for continuing the reviews. I look forward to reading your thoughts on DTK. One of KISS' "under the radar" gems of their catalog.

Besides needing to give us some more "song workshop" breakdowns, perhaps @Terrapin Station can let us know if he recalls them doing "Acrobat" live in the early days. It really stands out from the rest of their repertoire due to its length and somewhat complex arrangement (at least by KISS standards).

8. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

Yes DTK was when I first seen them. I don't recall them ever doing Acrobat. Like you said by that time it was not part of the live show anymore.

npgchris likes this.
  9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

The great @ejluther and I are finalizing the "Certificate Of Completion" for the KISS Songs thread that has been discussed a few times in the past. For those who don't know (or don't remember), I thought it would be cool to have a little token of remembrance for this epic thread once we wrapped things up. Initially, the idea was that the only way you could "earn" one would be to participate in the entire (or at least, most of the) thread, but I suppose there's no reason to be elitist about it!

Originally, I was simply going to print them out and mail them to those who earned one. I'm still going to make the offer to send one to certain folks who contributed throughout the thread. What I'm going to do is, once it's finished (we'll be there in a day or two), I'll post a link here so that anyone who wants one can download it, and print it out on their own. "Card stock" paper works a lot better than traditional paper. 50 lb. paper works nice, and a minimum of 32 lb. is recommended.

If your name is on the list below, and you don't have a nice-quality printer (or would just prefer to not have to deal with it), send me a PM with your address, and I will get one out to you. If you would like it personalized, then indicate what name you would want to appear on the "name" line (be it your username here, or your real name). The certificates that we make available for download will just have a blank line where the name goes, so you can fill it out as you wish. If your name is on the list below, and you'd like, I can arrange to have a personalized one available to you for download, so you can have a nicer certificate, but still save me from having to mail one to you. It would be a download just for you, and the link would be PM'd to you.

I just chose random pages throughout the thread to spur my memory of who the regular contributors were, which is how I came up with my list. If I inadvertently left you off, just PM me. To keep costs reasonable, I'm only willing to mail these to those of you who were with us for the majority of the ride, and who chimed in regularly. Those of you who only spoke up now and then can just print out your own. I think that's fair.

Again, apologies if I forgot someone. I wouldn't be surprised if I did!

(Jason, please be on the lookout for a PM from me)

@Curveboy
    @SizzleVonSizzleton
    @bartels76
    @BluesOvertookMe
    @William Smart
    @MagneticNorthpaw
    @vamborules
    @Musicman1998
    @dadonred
    @Haggis Wampovich
    @Terrapin Station
    @Rose River Bear
    @Diamond Star Halo
    @Sandinista
    @Cheevyjames
    @Combination
    @Digital Morphine
    @Deuce66
    @Paulo Alm
    @nodeerforamonth
    @SammyJoe
    @Tree of Life
    @Cooks420
    @The Slug Man
    @dave9199
    @24voltsdc

If you just want to print out your own, there's no reason for you to have to PM me.

Thanks, all! And thanks to @GodShifter for his epic work in guiding this thread. I hope that all of the regulars here expressed their thanks to him!

:cheers:

10. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

BTW, before someone alerts me to the omission, @Exile On My Street was deliberately left off the list, as he and I have already communicated!

If you don't see your name on the list, and you were a frequent contributor, please don't feel bad. I came up with that list in about 10-15 minutes, so just PM me if you were a regular and need one sent to you.

William Smart likes this.
  11. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Forum Resident

What?? I was intentionally omitted from the "the list"? :yikes:

:D

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, basically people (my little Paul impersonation) how does this go on? or this the end for the thread?

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think we can use this to share news items and interviews from Kiss members.

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, that would be the best and most logical continuation here.:righton:

William Smart and bartels76 like this.
  15. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Forum Resident

What an esteemed group of folks to be listed with - you all know your KISS onions and then some! @npgchris, I already PM'ed you - and thanks to @ejluther for helping create our "GED of Thunder."

But a big :wave: and :righton: to all the regulars in the list. Even if we disagreed on some of the material, I heartily enjoyed your contributions, personalities, wit and bonhomie. MUCH RESPECT. Let's keep our "Journey of 1,012 Pages" rolling!

16. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I KNEW I'd make some type of list sooner or later! Figured it would more along the lines of FBI but this is cool too. Thx, npgchris!

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

@npgchris

I certainly don’t need a certificate. I enjoyed doing it. In fact, as I expressed before, I miss it. Yet, I’m not really willing to take on another thread of its magnitude. I’m kind of spent. I think (much to most people’s pleasure) my activity in a lot of threads is going to dissipate. I’m pretty sure every one is sick of me and my opinions at this juncture.

Thanks to everyone that participated here. YOU made this thread the success it was; not me. Few threads can rival this one in terms of participation or good vibes.

Let’s give yourself a round of applause.

LET’S GO!!!

Cooks420, ejluther, Lonesurf and 11 others like this.
  18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I will occasionally be harassing certain people to share thoughts on the songs/albums they missed. So we may still have some occasional contributions to this thread, after all. (At least I hope so).

Speaking of... did you ever get caught up from when you took that vacation a while back? If not, please share the albums you missed. It seemed like you were gone for close to a month, I think?

19. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Well, I hope after you chill, and recharge your batteries, that you do that Van Halen thread you were talking about. I'm looking forward to learning from you, Sizzle, vambo, and dadonred (I assume he's knowledgeable, based on the avatar?) on this subject. I'm only familiar with a few of their albums and look forward to learning more (and hearing tracks I've barely ever listened to).

As for anyone who may be sick of your opinions, they can go take a hike because no one forces them to participate in a thread of yours! :laugh: (Just kidding. Well, not really!) ;)

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

We’ll talk :)

21. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Thanks Chris but I don't need one...unless I can put it on my resume when trying to get a job. Was this thread accredited?

ejluther, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  22. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

We were denied accreditation when we applied. Although in a just world it would, I don't believe the title of "KISSologist Emeritus" will help you in your career path, unfortunately. You will, however, increase your chances of having a round of drinks purchased for you from your friends, who are bound to be impressed with your superior musical knowledge.

:cheers:

23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Imagine if some of us were in a debate class with @Curveboy on the other side and the topic is Asylum is one of the best 80's Kiss albums; pro or con?

Curveboy, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  24. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Con. I mean, I don't hate the album, it's sure as hell better than the next two, but it's average at best

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hey, good that you mentioned as I din't think of it at all, I was on holiday-trip back then and missed most of the Gene Simmons '78 solo-album.
    I definitely have to comment all those missing songs, I think it was "True Confessions" that reviewed and left out for while.
    Maybe I felt that Gene's album was too much to take in such short time, so I jumped back on the thread via Ace's album and then I think I have been here right until these pages..