KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I've been viewing some DVDs that our beloved KISS brother @npgchris was generous enough to send me and the particular DVD I'm watching at the moment covers the years from 1976-1978, the years when I was first introduced to KISS. While viewing this you simply cannot help but notice what a stark contrast it is between this KISS on the DVD and 'current' KISS, namely Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.

This here is the KISS that had awoken my passion for music at 6-7 years old, the KISS that was fun and didn't take themselves too seriously. This was the KISS that encouraged others to be whatever they wanted to be and not give a **** about what anyone else thinks. I still love this KISS and it will never change for me despite what they have morphed into.

Oh, how the times have changed. I can still relate to KISS from the 70's. They were very different people back then. It probably wouldn't hurt them to view some old clips of themselves when they were still closer to their roots of the streets of New York than their mansions in California.

Check out this clip from :50-1:20 and then think about how the band insulted that interviewer/fan for wearing a ****ing t-shirt. KISS in 1978 would never have done such a thing, IMO.

2. Exile On My Street

Not to beat this into the ground but I stumbled across this clip and felt that some of you may be interested in hearing it. This is Eddie Trunk discussing t-shirtgate 2012 on 1/16/18...:D

William Smart likes this.
  3. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I don’t get why Trunk is so respected...this clip here...my goodness, he does waffle on a bit, doesn’t he?

Another annoying thing is he seems to often put out rumours as fact...the Geddy and Alex continuing but not as rush being the most recent one...

I think too much is being made from the clip. Paul Stanley seems a little humourless and I think this was just an example of his questionable sense of humour...

4. Exile On My Street

I don't listen to Trunk but I used to enjoy That Metal Show on a rare occasion so I can't necessarily speak for how much he is 'respected' but his show topics hold little interest for me.

I was on YT checking out Ace Frehley interviews and naturally this popped up in the sidebar being it's a relatively 'new' clip so I posted it here since it's been discussed and should anyone be interested in hearing it.

I'm not inclined to think this was done in any sort of humorous way if I'm to be honest. Their comments were condescending in nature along with Paul speaking in a fake Spanish accent. Is too much being made of it? Perhaps, but only because those of us who have followed music and KISS for 40+ years have come to expect this from them by now and that's pretty sad on so many levels.

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Starting in the mid 80s, a lot of tunes, and not just KISS tunes, I don't recognize by name, but I know the tunes really well if I hear them. That's due to (a) switching over to CDs, and (b) being far busier than I had been while I tried to juggle gigging, graduate school and relationships/family at the same time. I still listened to a ton of music--I've always done that, but that began a period of me putting on music and not looking at the packaging . . . and that only got worse over time, because by the early 90s I was using mega CD changers at home--my set-up had 1400 CDs loaded at a time by the end (I had two 500-CD changers and a 400-CD changer chained together), and then I started listening via MP3s and then finally streaming.

So I haven't really paid much attention to the packaging of most albums for the past 30+ years, even though I've been listening to the music. I know how the music goes, but for stuff released since the mid 80s, or just anything I first acquired since the mid 80s, I often don't know the titles of the songs, it's often hard for me to remember what album a tune is from (I've been listening a lot via either song shuffle or album shuffle for the past 25 years), I don't know the credit info, etc. In fact for many CDs I owned (I've given most away since I've moved to MP3s then streaming), I didn't even recognize the covers very well. I'd typically buy something, put it in the changers right away, and then not look at again.

Basically my ideal way of listening to music is to create a "radio station"--I want it to be like I'm listening to a station, so that I don't know what it's going to play/it regularly surprises me/etc.--that has a huge, huge number of songs it plays, where it plays music in tons of different genres--as varied as classical, punk, polka, noise, etc.--where every track (from every album) has an equal chance of being played, and where about half of the time it plays entire albums. Technology has enabled me to do that. But it led to me not often knowing song titles, etc.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree. Big deal out of nothing...in regards to Eddie Trunk and the clip.

7. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Your membership here is being revoked. :D

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

114. Take Me Down Below
    113. Beth
    112. While the City Sleeps
    111. Domino
    110. Carr Jam 1981
    109. In the Mirror
    108. Nowhere to Run
    107. Flaming Youth
    106. Fanfare
    105. The Devil Is Me

9. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Fanfare above so many songs. HA! You're just picking songs out of three hats labeled great, good & bad, right? Work closed again today?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Classes delayed til noon and I woke up early. And right now we are in the good songs

11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

HA! I decided not to go into work today because it's all ice. Where is the break between bad and good?

William Smart and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. Zoot Marimba

The bad songs would be #228-#158
    Okay/decent songs #157-#138
    Good but not great at #137- up to now

13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

So Fanfare is good? Why do you insist on giving me another reason to write HA!?

14. Zoot Marimba

Write your own damn list then

15. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Again I say HA! I am enjoying yours too much. Mine wouldn't be as funny.:D

William Smart and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Forgot RnR Party and that J pop thing. Let's see. I don't love either one. But the Jpop thing has kind of a quirky charm to it, and RnR Party is a hidden track, harmless. So....
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to type up the whole list in one post, aren't I?
    RnR is at #158, the Jpop thing at #145

17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I was thinking this general thought the other day too. When I was a kid I used to pour over albums and I'd know every song, every lyric, everything in the liners. Now, I can't even name all of the tracks from my favorite band's last album (Iron Maiden's Book of Souls). I still have all my CDs, but my listening is all digital as well. Bringing it back to KISS, their song titles just got more generic in the 80's and even worse for the post-reunion albums.

D.B. and Terrapin Station like this.
  18. bartels76

Well we used to have time to memorize all that stuff when we were kids. Kiss a little bit easier because they have barely put 3 albums out in the past 20 years so not too hard to memorize. Deep Purple and Tom Petty (RIP) were only 5 in the last 20 years so at that pace I know them fairly well.
    But other artists that I like -Glenn Hughes, Black Country Communion, Iron Maiden, Neil Young, etc and some others that are putting albums rather rapidly in this day and age I can't really keep up with song titles and fully engrossing myself in their albums.

At this point I cut off Neil Young as I don't think he is putting out anything good. Maiden I think I'm done buying their stuff too- live and studio. Glenn and BCC are still putting out really good stuff so I am going to keep up with those 2.

I am 2 albums behind on Priest with this new one coming out. Now with Spotify I may just be content getting most new stuff from mid level bands I like unless something really blows me away.

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Didn't like Book of Souls? Not saying it's Powerslave, but worth it for The Red and the Black.

20. bartels76

I have it and I don't remember any of it!

21. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Groovy list! I gotta go back and find the very beginning. I don't know if I could do that. I can list songs I don't like such as Kiss'n Time, Live Theme, Beth...... but I don't know if I could say She is #1 100,000 Years is # 2 and so on. I can't commit I guess. LMAO good on ya bro!

22. Zoot Marimba

Thanks.
    I'm probably gonna type out the whole thing at some point

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Like most post-Brave New Worlds discs there are maybe 2 good songs.

bartels76 likes this.
  24. William Smart

I admit b4 hand that I am old and behind the times solo yes I am late to the party! I only just recently discovered Black Country Communion! Damn they Rock! Absolutely one of my new favorites. I discovered them Vintage Trouble and Greta Van Fleet at the same time on a different thread. Not entirely sure on GVF yet. They're ok but kind of too much like Zeppelin. But VT & BCC are great! Pax

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. William Smart

Love 'em Leave 'em : I suppose some would say oh boy another chauvinistic entry on Gene's part! Brag brag brag about all his conquests etc etc. Maybe I'm the crazy one ( all together now guys "there's no maybes about it) Ty! but what if this isn't the Demon bragging about it, but being brutally honest with the the little sweet things? "I will love and leave you "! No promises, no tomorrow night unless you travel 200 miles so I can do the same thing to you again "! It's an honest warning take it or leave it cause that's what I'm gonna do.
    Now for the music. Gene & Pete on the down beat. And Yayyyy Ace! Saved again by Ace & his magical Les Paul! K that's not nice and the sum is greater than the parts . I guess that can be said for the album as a whole. So I'm gonna stop rambling. My head hurts. Peace

D.B. likes this.