KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Don’t know, I posted from a Facebook post from a guy I know that worships VV and all things 1986 despite being in his 20s. He was looking forward to the expo for many months.

William Smart likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

It concluded several months back. We covered every song. You’re welcome to chime in on any song, album, or anything else you wish.

3. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I am curious to know how he lived all these years if he had "no money coming in." I was wondering the same thing when I watched a Jake E. Lee video a while back.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

He must get some money from royalties. Like when they show Summer School or the Nightmare on Elm Street flick with Love Kills...plus John Waites cover of Tears still gets rock radio play. So it adds up.

5. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That must be it.

I have been watching various Kiss Expo videos all day. Gene seems less guarded than Paul.

6. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

One of the experts here must know...

Why was the Kiss Kasket not called "The Kissket"?

7. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Plus royalties from KISS music, right? I’m not totally clear about the conflict he had with KISS about publishing - did they want him to sign all his rights away to them? Or always split them with KISS in some way? And “publishing” is different than “songwriting”, right? So many questions...

Whenever I think about KISS and income at this point and what Vinnie and Eric were getting paid, I always have to remind myself Ace and Peter were still (full?) partners at this point...

GodShifter and William Smart like this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I forget the whole story...but I think they bought Peter out around 1984 and I think Ace was still a partner until 1987.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I thought it was 85 that Ace was bought out, cause I know Ace formed Frehley's Comet shortly after he lost his share

10. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I imagine if Peter and Ace had simply hung on, the reunion tour/years may have gone differently since the money discrepancies would have been less of an issue, if an issue at all...

11. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

if you go back 20-25 pages or so you will see all our heart felt goodbyes to the greatest thread ever. Still as the distinguished @Musicman1998 pointed out now it is a catch all KISS thread. For me however it is a Catch Up KISS thread. In other words I am still reviewing songs since I joined in late and am catching up as I promised @npgchris That I would. Please join me I am currently on RARO and would love to actually discuss songs with someone. At any rate yeah jump in at any point and there's sure to be someone who will join in.

Dear Brother @Curveboy I don't believe any of us meant any disrespect towards Vinnie in anyway. Certainly our questions about his possible chosen life path were not meant as a negative viewpoint. Not were they, I believe and definitely not on my part, meant as a slant against anyone in the LGBT community. We are all curious naturally, after his long seclusion and as he and KISS are and were a big part of our lives. If anything I've said directly or indirectly gave that opinion I sincerely apologize. I have to say though that after watching that interview his dress, speech and mannerisms would lead me to believe he has or is transitioning. If I'm wrong my apologies to him and all concerned. Another thing, after watching that interview I find my self extremely sympathetic to him and all he's gone through at the hands of the ignorant and the so called KISS fans that have either forgotten or failed to recognize his contributions to the band. Brother as always PaxAmoLux, Iam

12. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Yeah, I tried to stay out of speculation, but Vinnie has clearly dealt with some demons over the years. I've seen people complain about him being vague at points, but honestly, we are lucky he was candid as he was

13. William Smart

After watching that I have to say I felt really bad for him. I have a completely different opinion of him and if what he said about Gene & Paul is true then I've lost a lot of respect for them. Also if it's true and Vinnie can talk about them still with such obvious respect and heart felt emotions it speaks volumes about Vinnie's character. I don't know that I could.:agree:. So yeah Kudos and mad respect for VV for his very Christian like attitude. A real eye opener on many levels. Pax brother

14. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Of course, the negative stories about VV come from more sources than just Paul and Gene - he definitely got a less than stellar reputation from more than just his time in KISS...of course, every story has three sides; your side, their side, and the truth....

15. William Smart

I'm reminded of a line from Jesus Christ Superstar. " But What Is Truth? Is Truth Unchanging Law? We Both Have Truths. Are Mine The Same As Yours"? Peace good sir

ejluther likes this.
  16. William Smart

Groovy Avatar! Reminds me of the art work on Steve Hackett's CD : The Night Siren.

17. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I want to be clear about something. I've never followed VV in or out of KISS and haven't seen a photo of him in...at least a decade so his appearance simply caught me off guard.

I have no issue whatsoever how anyone chooses to live their lives, it's not my decision to determine what makes somebody else happy.

I've known people in my personal life who have made the transition and they are beautiful, beautiful people inside and out and that's all I see. When I'm in their presence I also see courageous individuals who pursued their own happiness no matter what and that's not an easy thing to do.

In viewing the video of VV I see the same thing...a courageous individual whose certainly had his share of crap dealt to him in this life and came out on top. His forwardness and honesty was quite refreshing and as someone who, as I've said, never paid much attention to him before I came away with a ton of respect for him. He gets 'it' and he was an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Even as a non-fan I couldn't help but feel nothing but pure happiness for him on a human level in that he has, not only survived, but remains humble and dignified and has true love for his fans, which he didn't realize he still had so many.

Again I've rambled on too long...lol...I think his story is a good one, that's all.

18. I love that album; one of his best, I think. Northern Lights are wonderful, although having seen them once in Iceland, they aren't generally as monumental as what's seen in this photo.

19. William Smart

I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights. They fascinate me for some reason.
    I love that album too. I got to see him a couple of times. Last February he did parts of Siren before it was released along with some other solo material then the 2nd half he did Wind & Withering the year b4 he did most of Wolf Light and then a mix of older Genesis again. I'm hoping he plays in my area again soon. He's played here the last two winters so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Peace

20. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

It was visa versa.

William Smart and Curveboy like this.
  21. William Smart

I forgot to ask : are you familiar with Voyage Of The Acolyte, Please Don't Touch and Spectral Mornings? I believe that's the first 3 in order, anyways I absolutely love them. We covered a few selections off them in a band I was in. One of my dearest friends who was in that band loved them too. He passed away 21 years ago when we were only 42. It's hard to listen to them without getting a bit emotional now, but it's also mixed with joy. I can still see Uncle John Rickenbacker in hand..... He was the best bassist I've ever heard...... Pax

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

It's not enough to live off of. He get's zero money from KISS according to him. So he has had to make income from other sources. Of course none of this is any of my business. Just glad he crawled out from under his rock and was part of the expo.

23. I have every Hackett solo album. Discovered them in 1989 around the dawn of the internet message boards. "Every Day" was one of the first guitar solos I ever learned. Lived in Connecticut during college, and I remember getting a European "newsgroups" member to send me a couple of Hackett CDs that were impossible to find in the USA at the time. Must have been Highly Strung, Bay of Kings, and Momentum, I think.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. William Smart

Mr Speed : One of my favorite Paul songs. Great vocals and backing vocals. I really love Genes bass on this. One of those few times his bass playing really stands for me. Ace plays a sweet solo. As I listened to this I was thinking this reminds me of Sticky Fingers or Exile In Main Street, maybe even Goats Head Soup. So I go back and find @GodShifter s write up and danged if I didn't call it right! peace sirs