KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Random thought- I would have been cool to have Peter sing ‘Rockin in the USA’ on Alive II. It would have been a good fit for his vocal style and point of view. Add to that, each member would have a lead vocal on Side 4 plus the cover song.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree. It's a super dumb song so might as well give it to Peter.

3. I usually skip it, but I played side 4 today and just let it go. I think I like it more now than I did as a kid , but a ‘demon’ song it is not!

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

If anyone cares. Hopefully Ace, Peter and Vinnie will be a part somehow of the 2019 tour. I know Pauls vocals aren't what they used to be but I'm happy to see a kiss tour with possible all members. Eric Carr R.I.P.

D.B. and GodShifter like this.
  5. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I had a bizarre dream last night that my brother and I ran into Gene at a bar and he told us the next/last tour would feature him, Paul, and Peter but that it didn’t work out with Ace....:shrug: I guess that would literally be where it all started...

Marble Index likes this.
  6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Next stop a Wicked Lester tour!

ejluther likes this.
  7. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Just found this of Gene interviewing Peter in 2002. Gene asks some good questions and Peter's very open.

This is taken from Gene's Tongue magazine, an interview he did with Peter in the fall of 2002.

Over the course of nearly 30 years Gene Simmons and original drummer Peter Criss-who was voted out of the band in 1980, but rejoined the founding lineup for the 1996 reunion tour-have been friends, enemies, and everything in between. Now, older and a lot wiser, the cat sat down with the demon to discuss the frisky feline’s budding acting career, the autobiography he’s writing, his memories of the band’s early days and what he really thinks of Gene, Paul and Ace after all these years.

The Cat Has Nine Lives:

Gene: Remember how we met?

Peter: It was in New York around 1973. I put an ad out in Rolling Stone: “Willing to do anything to make it.” I was like 25 and I thought I was washed up. I did a great album with a band called Chelsea, and we thought we were going to make it, but it didn’t go anywhere. So I was freaking out, and I said, “There goes my big chance out the window.” I was desperate, and I sat with myself and said, “How far are you willing to go to make it? What would you really do? Would you really wear a dress? Would you go in drag?” I had no problem with any of these thoughts, and then I said, “I’m so desperate, I’ve got to put an ad.”

Gene: Where were you when I called?

Peter: I was at a party at my place in Brooklyn, back when I was
    married to my first wife Lydia. Everybody was drinking wine, dancing. The phone rang, and it was you, and you were so serious. But you sounded very sincere, and all the phone calls I got from the ad weren’t like that, and I had a feeling in my gut. You just went to it, like I was going to join the army. “Are you thin?” And to the people at the party, I yelled, “Hey, am I skinny?” So you would obviously hear this in the background. You must have figured you called a maniac or something. And then you asked, “Do you have long hair? You’ve got to have long hair.” I said, “I have long hair.” And every time you would ask me a question, I would ask the people at the party, so you could hear this roar of like, “Am I really good?” “Yeah he’s great!” I thought, this guy has got to be freaking out. But I had a good feeling about it, because I felt in your voice that you wanted it as bad as I really wanted it.

Gene: The thing that struck us about your ad was the language. Not “drummer, 11 years experience”, but “willing to do anything to make it.” That was the line.

Peter: You wanted what I wanted. We had both played the clubs forever, and had enough of that ****.

Gene: Were you working at the time?

Peter: Lydia was great. She worked a 9-5 job from the day we got married, because I told her, “I’ll never work a job. I want to be a rock star. That’s all I want to be. Don’t get on my case because there’s not enough money coming in. We’re either going to get married under these circumstances, or we can’t get married, because I’ve got to be who I am.” She had no problem with that. We got married, she paid for all of it and she worked for a good 6 years before I made it, and supported me in everything I did. She had full faith that I was going to be a star. You’ve got to have a woman like that next to you.

Gene: Or two. People think of rock tours as jets and hotel suites. What was it like touring in the early days with KISS?

Peter: Our first vehicle was a milk truck. Paul drove it standing up, because it had no seat. The drivers used to stand in those old trucks. That’s how we got to the shows. We would load up this truck-actually 3 of us would load up the truck. Ace was lazy. He would never do anything. He would always have something wrong with him-a cold, a hurt finger, the dog ate my face. But all that is what made it work. And maybe it took that guy to be that way and this guy to be this way, because you can’t all be the same. There has to be a mixture, like Italian food. You’ve got to make the sauce. You’ve got to let it cook. And the next day it always tastes better.

Gene: What about the girls on the road?

Peter: You were always the animal. You would have girls, girls, girls.

Gene: That’s not what I mean.

Peter: Did I have girls? Sure. Ace and I had twin sisters once. They were identical, and they played tricks on us when we came to town. I got his and he got mine. I knew there was something different in bed, because it just wasn’t the same. And finally they told us, “I’m really Amy and this is really Jane.” That’s how the road was, you just did things like that.

Gene: Would you and the rest of the guys ever sneak into anybody else’s room?

Peter: One time, in Canada, you had something in your room-and I say something because I never knew what was going to come out of that room. This one chick was so big, sweaty, and nasty, she was wearing coveralls, because that’s probably the only thing the poor girl could get into. Anyway we got to Canada, and you were in the room with a girl, and the 3 of us decided this **** had to stop. We were going to go in and **** you up. So we decided to get naked-we were always getting naked-and to sneak into your room, and get under the bed and sneak around with no clothes on. You used to hate to see us naked: “Get that thing away from me.” Because we used to like to put our things on your shoulder.

Gene: What things?

Peter: The thing between my legs, that big thing. Ace and I would love to lay our big things on your shoulders. You would be putting makeup on, and all of a sudden, you would go, “Oh no!” Anyway back to your room. We sneaked in, and it was pitch black, and you were going at it, and we were trying not to laugh. There were all these primal sounds going on, and we were really trying to hold it in, and finally, I think Ace broke out, or probably me, and you put the light on and there were these 3 naked men on the floor. You had to be there to see it because the chick flipped out.

Gene: Looking back on your experience with the band, if you had to do it all over again, is there anything you would do different?

Peter: A lot of things, and I know what they are. I didn’t always see with the clarity that I see with today. I see so clear it frightens me at times. Success, for me, was a drug. I couldn’t kick it. It was like it had to stay with me from the stage, back to the hotel, to the next morning. I just loved it, and I wallowed in it, and I wouldn’t do it this time around. I would have slowed down and kicked back more and paid more attention and shut the **** up and listened a lot more, and I would have really watched my temper.

Gene: What do you think the temper was about?

Peter: I was frustrated about a lot of things. Some of it’s personal, and since I’m writing a book, I want to save it for the book. It’s an autobiography. KISS is part of it, but it’s about my childhood and my growing up in poverty and working my way out of it.

Gene: What else is on the horizon for you?

Peter: Acting. I’ve really got the bug. I met Noel Behn, a brilliant New York writer who the book The Brinks Job and also wrote the TV series Homicide. My wife Gigi became really good friends with him, and he wanted her near his bedside when he passed on a few years ago of cancer. Through Noel, my wife met Tom Fontana, who does Oz on HBO, and has done a million other things. So after Noel passed on, we had dinner with Tom, and I said, “I want to act. I want to be on your show.” And he said, “Go to school, and I’ll put you on.” I would do anything in the world for Tom Fontana because he kept his word. I went to school, and he cast me as a guy who just beat 2 people to death with a baseball bat in the 2 opening episodes of Oz last season. And I haven’t stopped going to school. It’s the most wonderful therapy I’ve ever had in my whole life.
    I also just opened up my own company, called Catapult. It’s going to be the Cat Man’s label. I want to release my records, and maybe some other people’s records, and I want to produce a few things if I can. I’m still working on it. And I just wrote 4 songs, and I got some jazz arrangements. I’d like to get parts in a couple of movies too.

Gene: Okay, unedited, I want you to go right down through the band. Start with Paul, then go to Ace, then to Gene and end with Peter. Who are the guys without makeup? All of it-the good, the bad, the ugly.

Peter: Well Paul likes to buy things. I don’t think he knows why, but he’s got to shop. I never met a man like that, because I hate shopping. I’ll go in and buy what I want, and I’m out of the store. But he can stay there for hours just like women like to stay there for hours and look at stuff.

Gene: Any nicknames for Paul?

Peter: Lydia nicknamed him Phyllis, and I don’t know why. Our old road manager, Frankie Scinlaro, once called him Box Man, because he was built like one when we first met. Paul was a very built type of guy. I actually think we had to get a corset or something to tighten him up, because he felt he was too heavy for the stage. But I will give him credit. The guy works his ass off on stage. He’s dedicated. And what he wants, he usually gets. He’ll stick with it till he gets it. I admire him for that. I still feel there’s a wall up with Paul, and he will not bring it down. I just wish he would crack it, and break it, because there’s no reason for it anymore. We’ve grown up now.

Gene: Is the wall with everybody or just between you two?

Peter: Everybody. That wall just surrounds him. I think he’d like the damn thing to get out of his way. And I think that’s what he’s been fighting with all his life. To get rid of that ****ing wall.

Gene: Did Frankie Scinlaro have any other nicknames for Paul?

Peter: He’ll never talk to me again, but Frank called him the He-She.

Gene: Okay, now Ace.

Peter: I always pitied Ace in a way, because Ace is an unhappy guy. Ace has no reason to be unhappy, because he could have the world by the balls if he wanted, because he’s really smart. But he chooses to live in the 70’s. He doesn’t know any other world. And I think his playing is still the same. As a musician, I haven’t seen any growth in his playing. I also feel he locks himself away too much. I think he also fears people, so he gets into, let’s call it the zone, where he goes, and he feels safe there. It will wind up killing him, but he feels safe in the zone. And he seems to choose women that drag him even lower than he wants to be dragged, and I feel bad for him when I see that. I think he just doesn’t want to be alone. I think he needs that girl to run his errands because he’s got to be one of the laziest asses I’ve ever known in my life. He wants you to do it all for him. He’s late for rehearsals. He doesn’t show up. Won’t come to sound checks.
    It hurts, because if you’re with somebody for so long, as much as you hate him at times, and you want to take a gun a shoot him, there’s the other side-we’ve been together for 3 decades, man. That’s a long time. I have drum sticks older than my wife. But Ace is also one of the most giving guys I know. He would give you the shirt off his back if you wanted it. And he’s one of the funniest guys to go out with. He great at jokes, and he has a wonderful sense of humor when he’s using it. And his laugh makes me laugh.

Gene: Tell us some nicknames for Ace.

Peter: Well, Scraps, because he ate whatever was left over on everybody's plate. We also called him High Octane. And Baby Elvis, because he got a little heavy at one point. I am going to get killed for this interview. Look, there’s good and bad in all of us. But like I said, I don’t live in the past. Ace today, wherever he is, I wish him the best. I’d like to see him live a long life. I think he walks the rope too close. Too much walking the rope is dangerous. Got to get on solid ground.

Gene: Ok, my turn.

Peter: You’re a workaholic. And you’re really a pain in the ass at times. You’re such a control freak, I want to choke you to death at times. If it ain’t your way, it’s nobody’s way. I respect you for that, but at times you knock people out of your way that shouldn’t get knocked out of the way. At times I hear you say one thing, then you say another thing. I don’t know where you’re going. I go, “Oh, that was nice.” Then I read something else and go, “That’s not nice.” So I sometimes don’t know if you’re dealing from the bottom of the deck.

Gene: Have I changed?

Peter: Yeah I worry about you. I think sometimes that kerosene that you’ve been spitting out has really gotten to your brain. I think it’s worked it’s way up there, and caused problems. I say this because my own psychologist saw you on TV and thinks he should see you in his office.

Gene: How much does he charge?

Peter: He’s cheap 75 bucks.

Gene: Do you think I can work him down?

Peter: I mean it, you’re a sex fanatic, you always have been. You can’t get enough of it. You’re addicted to it. I guess that’s ok. But there’s that way about you. There’s a nasty way about you when you walk in a room. You expect everybody to stop what they’re doing and drop, because the master just entered. You were always pompous, and wanted to get over on somebody and intimidate them with your height. And if they have some sort of disability, you go right to it. You will look at a person, and you will listen to them, and the minute they open up a weakness, you got it. You will go for the throat, the minute that person weakens in any form. But you like someone to come back at you. You like when somebody goes right back in your face, and I’m always the guy who likes to go right back in your face. We’ve had that, and that’s one thing I always admired, when we get down to it, there’s no ********. Today, I see people for who they are and what they do. And I respect them for good or bad, because that’s what they’re doing, and they’re doing it because they believe in it. I believe in good and evil. I don’t think you’re evil. I think people think you are. But I’ve been with you too long.

Gene: I am [evil]

Peter: Well, you’re going on the chute, anyway.

Gene: Tell the reader what that means.

Peter: The chute is to hell. You’re going straight to hell when you die. It’s not even a staircase, it’s just straight down. No stops. You’ll get down there and you’ll want to take Diablo’s place. You’ll want to rule hell, because you’re that type of guy. I don’t think you can even help yourself. You just love to control things. But you’re not a violent man. I’ll always give you that. You have never been violent, like with fists and guns and craziness. But mentally different ways. Mentally, you could hurt someone as bad as I could hit someone in the face, with all my might.
    You make enemies, and it’s not good to make enemies. It’s good to tell someone to their face how you feel about them, but there’s a way of saying it. There’s constructive criticism, and there’s destructive stuff, and I think at times you are destructive. You hurt the thing you love the most. And that’s what kills me about you, that you destroy what you love the most.
    The “family” thing has always bothered me. We’re not a family. I’m a founding member of the band, just like you and Paul and Ace. We started out as kids, we took it to the top of the limit. You couldn’t take it any higher. We were superstars. But my family is my wife and my mother, rest her soul. You’re a man I make money with. You’re my friend. You’re my enemy. You’re many things to me, and you’ve been a big part of my life for 30 years. That’s not easy to shake off your back. So I go home and I look at my lovely home, and I look at my car, and my records, and my health. And I think, Thanks, man. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for KISS. I’m proud to say that. As screwed up as we are. We were four guys that struggled, and really went through ****ing hell to get to the top of the world. I understand you call it family, I understand Paul did, but it’s not family to me. To me, it was 3 guys that made me very rich and famous today, and very happy today, and really proud to be on this planet. That’s what I feel you’ve given me through your lunacy. But it’s you and Paul running the band. Me and Ace weren’t running the band. You guys were always up in front, we were always kind of in the back. There was always that tug of war: Gene and Paul against Ace and Peter. That always bothered me. I used to feel, Jesus, I did write “Beth”, which was a hit record. It did launch us into a better place than we were. That album [Destroyer] was going nowhere. And at times I would say, “Thanks Gene, thanks, Paul.” But I did seldom hear it from you guys. As much as you may call me an ******* and say I’m a moaner, and I complain, and I’m never happy, there were reasons for that. I won’t list them here, because I’ll explain in my book.

Gene: Any nicknames for me?

Peter: Well, you’ve become a Baby Ace-you’ve put weight on here and there. And we used to call you Professor Dope because you love to hear your voice. I used to call you Papa, because you always were the daddy of the band. I’m 3 or 4 years older than you, but for some reason you were always like the father of the group. We were always like the kids, and that’s why we liked messing with you, because it was like messing with your dad.

Gene: Can you mess with Paul?

Peter: No. Paul is a great guy, but don't tease him, because he’ll cut your throat and you won’t even know you’re cut until he walks away and you feel the blood coming down. He can’t help himself. But you can take it, and Ace could take it. Although you take it better than Ace.

Gene: Ok, tell us about Peter. Are you the same as you always were?

Peter: When I met you, I was a real Brooklyn street guy, coming out of gangs and a lot of violence. I liked it for some reason, because I used to get off on the adrenaline-being in the gang, and fighting, and the whole thing of being part of something. Being a member of something always meant something to me. That’s how I felt about the band. Only being a member of a band is a lot safer than being a member of a gang. I was a tough Italian kid that grew up in a really tough neighborhood where you had to protect yourself everyday of his life or get the **** kicked out of you. So there was violent streak that evolved, so that's when I met you, it was like, “You look at me the wrong way, I’m going to hit you.” I was crazy. I carried a gun. I was a wild man in my day, because I felt vulnerable. I always felt someone was going to get me, because I grew up always looking over my back. I kept that violence with me in the band; it didn’t go away.

Gene: What about the story you told me about when you were in a religious school.

Peter: I am a Roman Catholic, and I’m proud of it, but my schooling was a lot different than yours, because it was very cruel in those days. If you had to go to the bathroom and the Sister wasn’t in a great mood, you didn’t get to go. So you would say, “Sister I really have to go.” And she would say, “Well, you can go when the bell rings.” So I would pee in my pants at school and the get laughed at and ridiculed. There was a time I even **** in my pants because I had to go and she wouldn’t let me go. And I think that **** sticks with you. Ridicule locked me in a dark closet, closed the door. If I didn’t read something correctly, or do something right, I would be threatened, be thrown in a closet where you keep the coats, and be locked in there for the rest of the morning, two hours maybe. Great for a 10 year old kid, to sit in a dark closet. I used to love to bring my little toys to school. They took the toys, and made you sit in a wastepaper basket next to her desk, or you had to stick your hands out and they beat your knuckles with a ruler. You’ve got to come out a little crazy when you finish a school like that. So when I met you, all this was still in me. I never wanted to talk about it with a doctor. I never went to a psychiatrist. They didn’t exist in the 70’s. That wasn’t the thing: “Let me go see what’s wrong with me.” Nobody thought that way. I just thought it would go away like everything else goes away. It got worse. I seemed like the more famous I got, that I felt like I would be able to get away with more. “Now I’m rich, famous, powerful, a rock star, so if I want to shoot this whole room up, I can afford that. It’s not a big deal. If I want to take your television and throw it out the window I’m going to do it, because I’m just in that type of mood.

Gene: Did you ever shoot up televisions?

Peter: Well, yours. Yours was just one of many. I was staying at your house because I was seeing another woman behind my first wife’s back. I called you and you said I could use it. So I stayed at your place. You were with Cher, and you had one of those big Advent projection TV screens. And I used to carry this .38, and I was watching this movie, and it had Warren Beatty in it. Debra, who I was with, and later became my second wife, slurred out, “Oh I slept with him.” And I said, “Oh really.” Boom, boom, boom! So I shoot the television. Big holes. You tell the story a lot, but you never mention the fact that I replaced it. Ok, I realize that’s bad, but at the time I actually felt that rock stars could do that: TV’s out the window, a lot of girls in the bathtub at once, drinking a lot of beer, get stoned, go back to the hotel. When you’re young, you get up the next day, get right back to it. After a while it caught up to me, and it will to anybody, that mentality of settling something with your hands instead of your brain. I think I had to go through a lot. I think I had to hit, as we say bottom, to know what the top is.

Gene: When did that happen?

Peter: Probably after my second marriage.

Gene: And how do you define bottom?

Peter: I feel that we are all stars in the sky, and I define bottom as when my star fell in the sky, because I went against everything that was given to me. I wasn’t grateful for it. I did the opposite. I was greedy and evil and mean and did everything wrong. That’s how it was, and I felt that God took it away, and took my star and just snuffed it out, and took all that work that I put in to get where I wanted to get, and just took it all away. That was probably about 1990 or ’91. It was a nightmare. I found myself with no wife, no kid. My mother died. My father dies. I was living in a little beach house in Venice. I didn’t have millions anymore. That was the low point to me. I wasn’t a star.

Gene: Were you playing in a band?

Peter: I was playing in my band, Criss. And then eventually Ace’s band and my band teamed up and went out. It was a nightmare. I wanted to shoot myself. I was like, “What are we doing in a bar again? This is where we started. How did we get back here?” But I knew how, I knew why. And I asked God if he would give me one more chance, just one more chance. “If you just put my star, back where it was, I’ll never **** up again.” And here I am, and I won’t, because I know what it feels like to lose. You’ve got to lose to know what it is to win.

Gene: Is the Peter Criss sitting here today, the same Peter Criss as when we started?

Peter: Yeah. I feel I’m back on my feet. I’m the same as far as wanting what you want-wanting the fame, loving it, loving where I am. And working hard, because I worked my ass off to be behind those drums all those years. But I’ve changed a lot as far as my outlook with people. I’m really alert. I know what’s going on around me. I can’t live in a fog. You get to a stage, or an age, where it doesn’t look cool anymore to be drunk. It doesn’t look good anymore to be stoned. It doesn’t look good anymore to wreck places. I respect this room. I’m not going to level this room. It costs too much.

Gene: Did the fog come over you and take you over, or was it a choice?

Peter: The fog took over totally. And I lived it. And I believe that’s the way it should be for a while. You could convince yourself. You can really justify things, if you're crazy enough, that something is right, that’s it’s ok. So what if I just threw your TV out? Here’s $3,000-I can do that. That’s not the way to get a point across, my ways of getting the point across in the old days were, and I’ll wreck something. I’ll get a motorcycle and hit a tree, then you’ll feel something for me. I don’t have to do that anymore to impress you or anybody else.

Gene: What were some nicknames for you?

Peter: My nicknames? Moaner, the Complainer, Ayatollah Crisscola, the Spoiler.

Gene: What’s the Spoiler about?

Peter: You want to go there? Ok. My dick. It’s big. The first time I met you, what did I tell you?

Gene: You said, “Hi, I’m Peter Criss, I’ve got a nine-inch dick.”

Peter: That hasn’t changed, thank God.

Gene: People think we didn’t see each other from the early 80’s until ’95. Did we see each other?

Peter: I bumped into you and Paul at A&M Studios with my daughter. I was going to pick up some tracks I did. It was during that incident when there was a guy in L.A. who was impersonating me. He was running bills up in huge hotels, renting limos, renting studio time under my name. And I didn’t even know it.
    He was a bum from the streets of L.A., but people believed him, and suddenly I got a call from Tom Arnold and Rosanne Barr, who wanted to help me. My mother was dying at the same time, and it got really tough for me, because I didn’t want to deal with this guy who was imitating me, but the tabloids were having a field day: “Rock star Peter Criss hits the skids, goes broke, loses it all. My mother read this before she died, and that drove me to sue them. And I won a lot of money, because they were wrong. I actually went on the Donahue show to have to prove to the world that it really wasn’t me. The imposter was on, too. He freaked out when I walked on stage.

Gene: Ok, one last question. Do you believe in fate? Like things are meant to happen?

Peter: Some things, but not all, because I believe everything is in God’s hands, and he controls all. But I think some things are definitely in the book, and they’re going to happen, and they’re supposed to happen.

Gene: And you have a since of what’s meant to happen, or what’s going to happen?

Peter: Yeah. I think the band will get back together and play. I think it’s inevitable. I don’t believe I’m saying this because a lot happened between us, but I believe it’s destiny for this band to take it’s final bow, because it deserves that in the history books of rock and roll. There are more copycats over us than any other band. I think our fans deserve the last bow of the last show of the last KISS thing. It has to happen. If it doesn’t it will be a shame that the last show was somewhere in North Carolina, where I threw my drums off the stage and wrecked them, and we all went home, and everybody said, “Screw you,” and that was the end of it. That was sure a ****ty way to end something so great, something so big-much bigger than us. We forget our fans are in awe and they love seeing the four of us go crazy. The fans are crying for it. I believe we’ll play again. I think we have to whether we like it or not. I think we owe it to them not to let them see us go out the way we went out. This band should go out in a blaze of glory.

9. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

What a GREAT interview! Thanks for sharing...

10. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Yeah that does look familiar now that you mention it. Just not sure why.

Cheevyjames and carlwm like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The gargoyles adorning the walls of Westminster Abbey?

D.B. and William Smart like this.
  12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

GodShifter and Marble Index like this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ll be honest, I don’t think it’s half bad. It’s not amazing, not his best effort by a long shot, but musically it’s pretty decent.

15. William Smart

I thought I seen the mandalas in Tibetan monastery.

carlwm likes this.
  16. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Vinnie is fooling himself and worse still he's not very good at it. In 2018 there is no mystique to a 65 year old Vinnie Vincent.

But let's just say that there is, and he wants to play that or use it to his advantage. Here's his quote when asked if he is living his life as a woman....

"Not that I know of. I don’t know where they came up with this stuff. … But see, if I address that, then the mystique is gone. See, everybody loves the mystique. I think they love the mystique because they don’t know. So maybe I’ll say, ‘I’ll let you guys decide’ … then everyone is still talking".

If he just says the part that I put in bold then fine, but he answered the question first with 'not that I know of'. Is he just wildly ill-prepared for the question? Is he planning a run for political office and he's just honing the skill of answering a question and then immediately trying to un-answer it?

And you're fooling yourself if you think that Vinnie going to provide 'in depth answers to everything' in his book. And why would he, what with that precious mystique to keep up.

17. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Well from what I could tell he made it through more than one public appearances with no one asking so maybe he was unprepared? However, I do think he’ll be forthcoming in his book as it’s probably his biggest/best chance to actually make a real splash with his story; I imagine any revelations he has are what he sold the book on and he’ll be beholden to deliver. My big question is whether or not he actually gets a book out there or if it’ll just never happen...

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's interesting that he says that, because I noticed that over at kissfaq some of the most ardent Vinnie fans are upset at how many interviews he's doing. For that very reason. They think he's spoiling the mystique. So it sounds weird but maybe he knows his audience.

19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

That's absolutely the big question. Vinnie has a bad track record to begin with and there simply can't be major commercial interest in Vinnie Vincent, even as a recording artist.

I'm indifferent on Vinnie, I love his KISS stuff and wish him the best. But appearance number one was full of "I'm here to tell you guys everything you want to know" and then a bunch of double speak and "that'll be in the book". Stop that nonsense! Stop the "I want to tell you everything, I'm going to tell you everything, but if I leave holes in the story it'll create a mystique around me".

You're 65 and I'm 46, don't talk to me like I'm 15 and back at Red Rooster buying Circus and Hit Parader. Honestly it surprises me to see people who still want to be communicated with at that level.

As for Vinnie being forthcoming in his book, again he spent entire appearances painting a rosy picture of his time in KISS and his relationship with Gene and Paul that seemed to be an enormous fantasy that only he believes. So I support him telling his story but I'll struggle to believe him.

2414Studios, D.B., GodShifter and 3 others like this.
  20. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Perfectly put!

21. William Smart

Hooligan : No surprise, I like it. Peter is my favorite vocalist of the band. Solid Drums all sround and I like their sound. A lot of fun. All in all a pretty decent song. This era has such a nostalgia for me. In other words if the songs not total crap, like KISS Theme is for me, I'm all in.

Sorry it took so long to get back to it. I had very little desire or energy for a long time . I will finish of Love Gun then Paul, Gene & Ace's solos and I will have kept my promise to @npgchris. Where ever he may be. Peace brothers

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ngpchris is a bit of a worry, isn't he? Seemed like a very nice chap & was so enthusiastic and now, for ages, nothing from him. Hope he's alright.

23. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe Vinnie's book is to build the mystique and not necessarily answer questions.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  24. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I'm just finishing reading the book Nothin' To Lose. It's about their early years. The book is ok but because it's endorsed by Stanley & Simmons, it has way too much self congratulations in it and isn't balanced out so much by differing opinions. Everyone's quotes feel like their are towing the party line. It's a decent read but overall, for me, unfulfilling.

25. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

All I know is that VV looks much better in his current incarnation than Caitlyn Jenner, imo.