KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I hope so too. I sent a DM around 4 am. Weird how he popped into my head like that. I like Chris too,very nice guy.

2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Is that a high bar?:D

William Smart likes this.
  3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

in our current celeb/plastic surgery/ gender fluid culture: yes. :rolleyes:

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Okay, but accepting that premise, building the mystique to what end? This guy is 65 years of age (66 in three months), he was never an enormous star away from KISS (even in KISS they were at a low point) and even his peak was 30 years ago in an era long gone. He said at one of his appearances that he practices seven hours a day but when he briefly got an acoustic guitar in his hands at these events that didn't seem to be the case.

The only point in building mystique is for a payoff. Does anyone believe that in 10 years there will have been 5 new Vinnie Vincent albums? But even if there is they are going to sell to a very small core of fans who still remember and love him from the 80's. Which is great, he can and should sustain himself on being fortunate enough to have a hard core group of fans despite everything that's happened.

He's already said the last 20 years were a living hell where he retreated into a private prison. There's a story to tell there, but no mystique to be fanned into a flame. And if he doesn't want to tell the whole story he should probably stop saying he's going to do so. He's a guy who has burned his fans before, why feed them a line of BS at this late stage? Not everybody is Axl Rose where you treat your audience like garbage almost from day one and 30 years later you're able to sell out arenas and stadiums. Vinnie should tread lightly on finding the breaking point of his fans.

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Honestly the guy can't win...go away for 20 years and you do 3 podcasts and they are going "it's too much!"
    Personally I'm ecstatic and really hope he gets Guitarmageddon out there ASAP.

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Maybe because he has more attention right now than he's had in a long while?

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

That was a really good, honest, and informative interview. I feel like Peter was really trying to be as honest and real as he could and Gene, being an ego machine, tried to make it as much about himself as he could.

I think Peter was being real in that interview. Gene was just being “I’m Evil Incarnate” from the The Mike Douglas Show. Gene likes to hear himself speak and relishes in the fact that he has a leg up on his interview subject matter. I feel like that Peter interview is as close as you’re going to get to a truly ‘real’ perspective into the band despite the fact that it’s (the interview) some 16 years old. Truth is truth.

8. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

That’s so interesting...I thought Gene came off as uncharacteristically restrained and less self-involved than usual in this case...:shrug:

Marble Index and William Smart like this.
  9. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I felt Gene was asking very real honest questions and when the answer was about him, he took it easily. It felt like the interview was important, not what Peter said about Gene. Their history in the book Behind The Mask feels much more real because they were all in their 20's and still somewhat together.

William Smart and GodShifter like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

You’re right. For the most part, he is, but when he says “I am [evil]” to enforce Peter’s perception, that was very weak. He also saves himself for last in terms of asking Peter’s perceptions of the three other members of the original band. That’s being a biased interviewer. He wanted the last reaction to be about himself. That said, he did do a good job as an interviewer but he kind of had to. It was for his magazine so being confrontational or overly combative (which isn’t his style anyway) wouldn’t have served the interview. I do, however, believe that much of what Peter says in regards to the other members (Gene included) is probably pretty accurate.

11. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

I totally agree about having faith in Peter’s assessments - including that of himself...

I especially liked his take on the “KISS family” - it seems very level headed to me...
    The “family” thing has always bothered me. We’re not a family. I’m a founding member of the band, just like you and Paul and Ace. We started out as kids, we took it to the top of the limit. You couldn’t take it any higher. We were superstars. But my family is my wife and my mother, rest her soul. You’re a man I make money with. You’re my friend. You’re my enemy. You’re many things to me, and you’ve been a big part of my life for 30 years. That’s not easy to shake off your back. So I go home and I look at my lovely home, and I look at my car, and my records, and my health. And I think, Thanks, man. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for KISS. I’m proud to say that. As screwed up as we are. We were four guys that struggled, and really went through ****ing hell to get to the top of the world. I understand you call it family, I understand Paul did, but it’s not family to me. To me, it was 3 guys that made me very rich and famous today, and very happy today, and really proud to be on this planet.

12. William Smart

When you're in your 20s you tend to be a bit more open. No walls to speak of, and so without necessarily intending to , honest to a fault. Guys especially are out there, they don't know enough to bite their tongue. With the results of putting a bit too much info out there. And I'm sorry if I had a point to make I lost it somewhere . If those thoughts should happen to recycle anytime soon, said point, or lack there of , will be made with all dispatch. Until such time......How y'all been? Missed me? ( Oh I heard that. ” who the Fook are you?) @npgchris you better get back soon, or risk being "the unknown nice guy what his name.” Brothers great to be back. PaxAmoLux

13. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

KISS needs to make another album solely so we can get the old gang back together and criticize it!

14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Ace doing Parasite with Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer and Todd Kerns

15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Longer clip. This one has Deuce, Strange Ways, Cold Gin...and Bob Kulick

16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Who wants a free copy of the book Nothin' To Lose? I've finished it and don't see wanting to re-read it. First one to leave a post here gets it. PM me your address.

Zoot Marimba and William Smart like this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Yo, I'd love it!

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You got it Cheevyjames. PM me your address.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nice pitch Gene, that WIG is something else though.

20. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The word 'sales' is missing from the above video.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

22. William Smart

See now that's one of the reasons I absolutely love this thread! The people here are just so cool. Malny would just throw the book in a pile somewhere and leave it till the pages were yellow brittle and falling apart. I was given a set of Crimson CDs by someone here because he had doubles! I don't want to mention his name it might embarrass him, but the generosity left me speechless. ( I heard that! ”Smart you ain't never speechless. Hell we can't shut you up once you get started, Especially when it's Crimson". ) Yeah You guys fooking rock!

23. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Word! Speaking of generous, shout out to @npgchris and I hope all is OK in his world...

24. William Smart

Yeah I miss the man. He's been AWOL quite a while. I DM'd him a week or so ago. I haven't heard anything. Keep him in our prayers. That Certificate is a treasure, just like the all the guys that worked on it. People in this thread are really special. Never seen the like anywhere. So the next 4 shots of Don Julio I raise to you gentlemen. Cheers! The fifth I raise to you @npgchris where ever you be. Cheers bro.

25. William Smart

umm didn't mean the fifth shot, no. The rest of the bottle......

Zoot Marimba likes this.