KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Outstanding that you're enjoying the music!

You're right that it's been an amazing thread. Never thought I'd ever rate COS highly enough to own and suddenly find Psycho Circus in my KISS top ten! It's been a revelation! :righton:

Lonesurf, YardByrd and Cheevyjames like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Excellent now give Revenge, Lick It Up and MTV Unplugged a spin or twenty.

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I too, finally plugged up a couple blank spots with Hot In The Shade and Revenge (HDtracks version, thx to you guys).... only ones left to get are Carnival, Sonic and Monster.

Kinda hoping the latter two will get a sympathetic mastering at some point.

4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I'm even liking Dynasty, the album that made me jump ship in '79... what a sleazy Studio 54 kinda record... not my fave, but Top 10 now...

5. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I doubt Paul will let anyone go and touch the last two albums just because he produced them. Shame because the weakest point on both albums is the production.

Sandinista likes this.
  6. AirJordanFan93

Dynasty has always been an album that has been unfairly ragged on by people because of I Was Made For Lovin You and just the general vibe KISS gave off in 1979. Its a great album and fairly dark in terms of its lyrical content.

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

8. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Omfg I got as far as "let's get together we can" and had to stop. One line in and I was embarrassed for him. Paul you were great,but the time has come. Hang up the 7 inch heels and call it a day. Your legacy is assured don't ruin it. I really feel bad. I seen them 6? Years ago. Not great, but not like that. Still if they come by I'll go. What can I say. I'm addicted and a glutton for punishment. Nothing a bottle of Don Julio won't fix

carlwm likes this.
  9. William Smart

I'm more sad about the passing of another Great than really b*tching. I'll probably see them again. And again. I only missed them twice since 74 why stop now. Still

Todd W. and carlwm like this.
  10. William Smart

Wow! Insightful. A bit scathingly put,but WOW!

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  11. William Smart

A FOOKING Men

Floyd fan 71 and carlwm like this.
  12. AirJordanFan93

There were some really bad performances in 2012. But I saw them in 2013 and 2015 and out of the two he sounded much better in 2015. He doesn't sound terrible on recent studio recordings or when he does acustic sets on the KISS Kruise. But live its a different story.

William Smart likes this.
  13. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I always loved Ace's solo in this.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

The album didn't necessarily lose me.......it was IWMFLY that lost me. I don't know if I'd call Dynasty great, but I respect your opinion. Even in concert, it pretty much was my bathroom break song. I will readily admit that I hated Sure Know Something then but I loved what Paul did with it on the MTV Unplugged. Also.......:hide: though I love Ace, I was never a huge fan of his vocals. 2,000 man is not one of my favorites by him. I will fully admit at the time, the only other song I could really stand was Magic Touch.

Let me admit, I was 18 when this came out. I had seen them in December of 1976. An absolute die-hard KISS fan. The disco song really killed me considering the time. I know, they sold out like most every other artist .........Queen, Stewart, McCartney, Bowie, Stones....etc....who did "disco" type songs. But KISS was my favorite. I didn't get over it for awhile.

Today, songs like Dirty Livin', Hard Times and Charisma aren't so bad at all. Neither really is 2000 man. So, 39 years later, I have a bit of a different take on the album. Absolutely not on the song............:hurl:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Doggiedogma and carlwm like this.
  15. AirJordanFan93

Seeing you were 18 in 1979 you would have been in that demographic they alienated that year when it became full on family friendly. Im sure if was 18/19 in 1979 and had loved them for 4-5 years then all of a sudden they went and did something like that I would have probably felt the same.

Sure Know Something has always been a song that for whatever reason just suited the unplugged format. It was fairly good when they did the Symphany show in 2003 but it isn't as goodd as the MTV Unplugged version. I do wish Paul added it to either of his solo tours in 89 or 2006/07 but alas it wasn't to be.

IWMFLY is a song you either love or hate and I would guess that it goes 50/50 among KISS fans. I think its a song like RARAN that gets overplayed and I tend to get burnt out on it a lot of the time. Maybe because I became a fan 25 years after the song was realsed that I don't have the huge dislike for it that a lot of the OG KISS fans do.

carlwm and Todd W. like this.
  16. William Smart

I'm getting bad dating things. Like I seen them in 74 I know that for sure. So every tour from Dressed to Kill to? I think I seen them in 12 that's the year I injured my knee. And I seen them in Hartford CT at the old Meadows, I had surgery in 14 and I think I seen them just after at Mohegan Sun. And another 3 ? times there, but not sure of dates. Gods my memory is going

Doggiedogma likes this.
  17. William Smart

Any ways the last few times I seen them performances we're not consistent. Anywhere from gawd awful to OK. Not 74 to 77 O FOOKING K but ok

18. AirJordanFan93

I don't think they have been a great live band for a very long time and even before his voice went they weren't all that inspring live. You can argue the last time they were a great live band was between 92-95 but no one cared to see them live but among the fans its a well regarded period. I think once they did the reunion and entered the nostalgia market every successive tour became more and more boring.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vinnie Vincent has filed a trademark application for "Vinnie Vincent's KISS" :p let the fun begin.

21. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Too little too late at this point if you ask me, there's nothing they could do that would make me part with $$$ to see them live again. Expiry date is long passed.

23. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Oh dear God, NOOOOOOOOOO! You can't have Kiss without Gene and Paul, no matter what Paul says!

24. William Smart

Can't argue that.like I said ok but not 74 to 77 O FOOKING K. after that there were some albums that had a few good songs but other than Revenge and COS I never loved an entire album again. I didn't hate the nostalgia,but after a while it was boring,same old tired set. All good things come to an end. Nothing for me compares to the first 6 albums or those tours..

25. William Smart

Geeezus