KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The convention is at the Hilton Hotel, Parsippany, New Jersey, on 7, 8 & 9 December.

Details here: njkissexpo.com

Hope you get the chance to go! :righton:

William Smart likes this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard. I'm not paying close to $100 for seats from which I can barely see anything, and I'm not paying much more than $100 for seats for anything. There was maybe a time when I would have paid hundreds of dollars for a Led Zeppelin reunion, but that time has probably passed, too--could Page even play reasonably any longer? Could the three of them (plus Jason Bonham or whoever) reasonably play as Led Zeppelin any longer? That would have been the only thing I would have paid insane prices for.

I'm also a huge sports fan, and I won't pay that much for games, either, even when one of my teams is in the World Series, Super Bowl, Finals or Stanley Cup. I go to a lot of games, but I go when I can get a decent seat for $60 or less (and when my teams are stinking that season, which is unfortunately often, I can get a decent seat for much less).

Even the Ace Frehley thing mentioned above looks like decent seats would per $200 per, which I'm not paying. I'd like to see it, and I'd spend the $60 or whatever for the cheap ticket, but if that means a bad seat for the show I'll just be annoyed, and I don't know the set-up, so I'll probably pass.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, so far the timing of the KISS shows is bad for me anyway. But more than $100 when they're doing the same old same old for the setlist and when Paul is going to be lip syncing? No thanks. Especially not when I've seen KISS tens of times already.

William Smart, Deuce66 and carlwm like this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

4. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

TY good sir. I hope all has been well with you also. I want to see Ace more than anything else. The merchandise is to be found online I suppose. Thanks again

5. William Smart

I seen Jimmy Fallon last night. I was going to go one more time, but I have to seriously consider it. Not sure what's worse,and I don't mean to be cruel, paying to see Paul lip sync or paying to hear Paul sound like last night. Lip sync barely wins out. Very sad affair. Peace

Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that's as good as they're going to sound, pre-recorded or not :sigh: - they'll do their best to distract with a massive light/laser/pyro/video show

7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Man, I don't even know what to do with this. Does this seem like a guy who's 5 weeks away from playing two shows where he's advertising that he's going "full shred"? Does this seem like a guy who practices seven hours a day like he claims?

He doesn't even solo on I Love It Loud instead leaving it to the other guitar player. Why? What reason would he have to NOT show that he can still play even the most simple of leads?

And frankly I'm already tired of Vinnie's "you like me you really like me" Sally Field stage persona that he's adopted. Put your damn head down and let's see what you've got. Also it's just an unnecessary and desperate look to be wearing that Ankh makeup onstage where you're a special guest for a couple of songs.

Another thing about the show(s) in December. If you look under 'appearances' on Vinnie's site it says it's one show "December 7 - an acoustic evening of KISS and VV1 songs". Click further and it says it's two shows "December 7 and 8th- singing and performing his songs full shred (and maybe a few acoustically)". Vinnie might want to get on the same page as....himself!

Deuce66 and bartels76 like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There's nothing remotely uplifting about those clips of him in makeup, he doesn't come across very well at all, I have no doubt that he will not be part of any KISS show.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  9. bartels76

Watching the Vinnie clip now. He seems fine playing electric. The songs he is most well known in his era -LIU and ILIL -barely have solos so there wasn't much for him to do. Not much of a showcase for him. I doubt the band knew like Gimmie More or something like that where Vinnie could play a bit more.

The makeup thing is odd. Is he just going to wear that all the time now???

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  10. SizzleVonSizzleton

I agree that he seems perfectly able to play chords, he can still play the guitar. But great guitar players want to be great whenever anyone is watching and given that he knows he's being filmed AND has shows coming up soon it makes no sense for him not to take the I Love It Loud solo. At minimum he should have wanted to do that. And/or the band could have vamped in the middle of either Lick it Up or I Love It Loud so Vinnie could play some leads.

If he still has his skill at lead guitar it makes zero sense to keep it under wraps.

11. bartels76

Vinnie is like Kiss...everything has to be a "surpise" or a "secret" so maybe he is saving himself for a (his) paying audience?

Curveboy likes this.
  12. SizzleVonSizzleton

That makes no sense to me, but maybe it makes sense to Vinnie. :shrug:

13. bartels76

Everything that doesn't make sense to you or me, makes sense to Vinnie. He has been sitting on music for decades so I'm not shocked he's sitting on showcasing his guitar playing abilities.

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Here is what I see:
    Vinnie playing with a band for probably the first time since 1990.
    Vinnie wearing the greasepaint as a deflection from some of the nasty comments about his appearance.
    Vinnie doing a few cool little rhythm things while trying to remember how these songs go, and trying not to step on the toes of the host band.

That said, he should have done the I Love It Loud lead, but we are not privy to what the host band discussed or wanted.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

Don't those things make you awfully nervous about his December shows? He's had all year to be prepping for this.

Marble Index likes this.
  16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

17. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Oh, there probably is. Whether it sees the light of day while Gene and Paul are still around is another question. I feel like they would need someone like Tommy to take the reigns on such projects because under Paul it would end up being extremely lacklustre like most KISS releases have been the last 15 years.

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'll just leave this here:

19. bartels76

I am sitting on my house by my picture window in my living room. It's snowing here so all the windows are closed. All of sudden I hear a metal song blasting out of a car. I look out the window and I can now hear the song. They were blasting "Saint And Sinner" as they drove by. They kind of stopped for a second in front of my house. Now I want to know who in my neighbprhood is a hardcore Kiss fan!!

20. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

Saint and Sinner rules.

21. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

They really need to get Ace back in the band, and then stack the show with Gene and Ace tunes. Perhaps adjust some of the Paul songs so he can sing them in a lower register or something. It's painful to hear him 'sing' these days. Gene still holds up pretty well. Granted his songs are easier to sing, but still, at least his songs go over well nowadays.

22. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Paul and his ego would not allow such a thing.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  23. William Smart

Well aft
    Agreed 100%, but they won't. If they did I would see them in MSG, Mohegan Sun, Hartford,Springfield, Worcester and Providence like I did in my youth,I'd be so ecstatic. Alas to dream sweet dreams Pax

bartels76 likes this.
  24. William Smart

Gee Why?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere