KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I think this is one time I heard the right lyrics. I believe the last words above is 'fame' because it rhymes with name.

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Interesting. I was only 2 years old in 77 so that reference went right over my head.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Another good boogie tune from Gene. Ace does his best Johnny Winter. Some neat sounding textures in the guitars.

npgchris, dadonred, 24voltsdc and 2 others like this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I've been listening to "Love Gun" quite a bit over the past week and I still can't get behind this song. I've never cared for it and, unfortunately, I still can't get into it. To me it sounds forced, like Gene is trying to sound a bit too urgent in his vocals to cover up for a feeling that just isn't there.

Ace's solo is the best part of the song. I tried.

SpaceAce716, D.B., npgchris and 6 others like this.
  5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The band in the video is these guys...Thee Rock N Roll Residency

I have to say when first saw the setlist for Gene's recent solo show I didn't even remember what this song was. I really never listen to this album.

The lyrics are pretty bad but I like the riff and the background vocals and the acoustic. I like the drums too. Not really a great song but it's punchy, good energy, it's got a bit of a different sound for them. Overall I'd say it's a pretty cool sounding track but not that great of a song. But I like it.

D.B., npgchris, dadonred and 3 others like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Yeah I kind of feel the same way, Ace's solo is ok but it's not up to the level of say Love Em and Leave Em (another song I dislike except for the spaceman's contribution).

7. Exile On My Street

For me, outside of "Christine Sixteen", I've always felt that Gene was the weak link here in the songwriting department. However I have warmed up to one of his other songs on LG where now I think it's pretty great, but that's for another day. I still think his songs from this point forward get weaker and weaker although there are a few highlights to come.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed he's easily the most over rated member of the original four in terms of song writing, better than Peter obviously but a weak third rung behind Paul and Ace.

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Gene is my favorite songwriter (and singer) in KISS.

D.B., npgchris, Drewstir and 2 others like this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's pretty clear that you and I are not on the same page when it comes to KISS. I can't wait t'il his 78 solo album comes up and Dynasty.....:laugh::laugh:.

SpaceAce716, D.B., npgchris and 2 others like this.
  11. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

2:00-2:07 is worth the price of admission along.
    I love the acoustic guitar in it, gives it sparkle.
    I agree re Gene's delivery and the bass is surprising in its doinkage (new strings anybuddy?)
    The weird thing to me is the vox in the chorus. Is Ace more forward in it? Doesn't actually sound like KISS (to me) or at least the typical. Sounds like "loose Ace" kind of snarling the chorus.

I like it.

12. dadonred

I never cared for spitting on stage (0:32) myself...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  13. dadonred

I thought the line as "You've got a magazine, in between your legs"

D.B. likes this.
  14. dadonred

I thought it was "you must have heard of my fame"...

15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Haha--yeah. Although one thing that's easy to go by is that I simply don't dislike anything that KISS did.

D.B. and npgchris like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Got Love For Sale: a forgotten song for me. I don't have much memory of this one. I haven't heard it in years. I must of always skipped over it as a kid (and adult). Before clicking the actual link to the song, I wouldn't have been able hum the riff to it.

Now that I listen to it? Wow... I kind of like it! I still don't know if I'd put it on any custom KISS comps I make, but I'd give it a B-.

Wil1972, D.B., npgchris and 3 others like this.
  17. Exile On My Street

Yeah, totally agree. Nobody wants to see that.

18. I think Got Love For Sale has a lot going for it. It a more up tempo feel for a Gene song, so that perks me up right away. I think the Beatles influence comes out in the vocal arrangement and we get a little Dynasty preview with some disco bass way up in the mix.

Peter keeps a great pulse and they throw in those BTO acoustic tracks to support the electric guitars. I wish they would have done more counter melody stuff in the band because they were great at it. It's a B side kind of track, but it's strong and it makes the LP better as a whole. Highly listenable!

D.B., PyroMessiah, npgchris and 6 others like this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Got Love For Sale- Like some others here I can't really get behind this song. It's a throwaway track/B-side to me. The lyrics brings it down as there is some interesting stuff musically here. Not a song I play often. I would say its my least favorite off Love Gun.

D.B., npgchris, 24voltsdc and 5 others like this.
  20. dadonred

21. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

"Got Love For Sale" is a grower for me. I didn't like it or dislike it as a kid, though it had been basically banished to the hinterlands until 2014 when the vinyl reissues arrived, as it never made "the cut" for my big mp3 folder of KISS songs for the car.

Listening to it freshly after all these years, I find I really like it. It's a bit atypical for a KISS song. As others have commented, I like the cleanness of the guitars, Ace solo is top notch, LOVE the tone on Gene's bass and the backing vocals are pretty unique for KISS--I actually think Gene is harmonizing with himself on the chorus.

The drums are the big drawback on this tune; I think they are terrible. Peter at his plodding worst, just pounding quarter notes on whatever he happens to be hitting at the moment. The pre-chorus pattern sounds like a mistake he stuck with, and I hate the quarter note ride on the cymbals in the chorus. This song is screaming for a nice 8th note pattern on the high-hat, something like IWMFLY, IMHO.

D.B., npgchris, 24voltsdc and 3 others like this.
  22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'll admit that Got Love For Sale is a song that is tough to judge because of the nostalgia factor. Because of that I like it, I've always known it as part of Love Gun and the album wouldn't be the same without it. That said there's something really clunky about it and it's at best a middle of the road Gene track. Sonically the parts seem almost bolted together like a demo.

For years and years I knew nothing of the 'have love will travel' lyric and thought he was just singing 'got love for sale' in that part. Though it always sounded really wrong and I never took the time to listen close enough to make the correction.

A really good Ace solo, particularly how he starts it and the first half where there's fewer notes which makes the latter part all the better. Some nice Ace-like patterns at the fadeout too. The Spaceman is the star of this song.

Paul's vocals popping up all over the place are a definite positive, as always.

D.B., npgchris, 24voltsdc and 7 others like this.
  23. vamborules

It's really cool that those guys got Gene to drag out some rare stuff for these shows. They also did Almost Human, Charisma and Radioactive.

Gene seems more engaged and like he's having more fun than he's looked in forever. Of course it would be nice if he actually learned the songs but you can't have everything. But those guys are so good. They had the stuff just nailed, particularly the vocal parts.

And speaking of vocal parts, watching that Got Love For Sale clip made me think about how KISS has a lot of singing. It's really one of the things that sets their sound apart from other hard rock bands of that time. If you think about the other bands around then, most of them didn't have a lot of vocal parts or even choruses a lot of the time.

Wil1972, D.B., Tippy and 6 others like this.
  24. Wow, that live clip @GodShifter posted is awesome!

25. vamborules

here's the setlist from that show...

Radioactive
    Deuce
    Nothin’ to Lose
    Calling Dr. Love
    Almost Human
    Cold Gin
    I Love it Loud
    Got Love for Sale
    Parasite
    Plaster Caster
    Charisma
    See You Tonite
    Christine Sixteen
    Johnny B. Goode
    War Machine
    Let Me Go, Rock and Roll
    Rock and Roll All Nite

D.B., npgchris, Zoot Marimba and 5 others like this.