KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I have never just blindly accepted songs because they're from my favorite artists. I'm much more critical than that. Even my two favorite bands of all-time (Black Sabbath and Killing Joke) have released their share of stinkers. It happens, and when it does, I call them on it.

/different perspective

2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

GodShifter likes this.
  3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

And Kiss copped Nothing but a good time. 1-1.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  4. GodShifter

:D

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  5. Diamond Star Halo

I completely agree, and I do the same. However, when it comes to my favorite bands I try my darnedest to "get" the material before I write it off as crap. But I never blindly accept anything (although my love for the oft-maligned Tomorrow & Tonight might contradict this approach)

6. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Is that something like "I thought about the back door"?

GodShifter and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  7. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I just think it's badly sung or arranged or something like that. Something is off somewhere, that I know for sure! It just doesn't fit, sounds flat. Nothing at all against female back-up singers!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  8. GodShifter

You know, everybody has different taste, different experiences, and different mindsets when it comes to music. I realize and respect that, but I've always been a "call it like I see/hear it" type person. If I don't like something I'll certainly tell you and why.

This is a big reason why I think I'm unsuited for doing this thread past Dynasty.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Tippy and Paulo Alm like this.
  9. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Well, Tomorrow and Tonight, I'll be your fella but keep your hands off my cellah.....!!!

Love it, always loved it. Can't remember exactly but getting Love Gun and Alive II in the earliest days of my fandom I feel like T&T was possibly the first KISS song I really liked.

I wouldn't suggest it's a classic but honestly KISS doesn't have 50 classic songs anyway. It's a solid song, Ace brings it as usual.

10. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

By the way, I've listened to Love Gun three times this week! Thanks thread! :righton:

11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I never liked T & T too much - I was like 11-12 years old in 1984 listening to the record I received from my friend's aunt who gave me her copy from when she was a teen. I remember at the time I thought it was trying to be another 'Rock And Roll All Night" song. Where Rock And Roll All Night made anthem status this Tomorrow And Tonight did nothing for me.

12. Diamond Star Halo

I get what you're saying, but I think that it in some respects it might actually make you well suited to tackling the 80's. You are very good at articulating the reasons why you don't like some of the songs. It's not like you just say "this is crap" without explanation. I don't find that you come across as negative, even on the songs you don't like. It's still fun to read and informative.

Personally, I don't like 80's Kiss music nearly as much as 70s Kiss either. That being said, I still find that era to be interesting and entertaining. In fact, the ridiculousness of 80's Kiss makes me love the group even more. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck - one misguided decision after another. I am actually looking forward to revisiting the material, and reading others opinions. Who knows, maybe I will revise some of my own opinions.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I very much appreciate the great job that you have done.

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul says he took some elements of this song for T & T. Apologize if someone already mentioned this.

Curveboy, Tippy, SammyJoe and 3 others like this.
  14. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

From Behind The Mask: The background vocalists that sang on "Tomorrow & Tonight" were Tasha Thomas, Raymond Simpson (Valerie Simpson's brother), and a woman named Hilda. They made up the KISSettes. Ray Simpson would later replace the first cop in the Village People.

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I can't keep up with this thread so I'll give a quick overall critique..... Love Gun is my least favourite of the second trilogy, having said that I Stole Your Love is probably my favourite song from these records. Almost Human is a poor God of Thunder, Tomorrow and Tonight bores me. I love the Alive 2 version of Love Gun with Peter hitting the splash? cymbals during the repeating part of Ace's solo. Apart from the title track and I Stole Your Love the album just plods for me. The album cover is awesome though.

16. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Hadn't heard this before! The whole vibe is indeed pretty similar to T & T! Thanks for posting!

17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yes, that's really a pretty blatant rip. Great song. I love Ian Hunter's voice.

Terrapin Station and Paulo Alm like this.
  18. bartels76

Everyone is different and neither side of the fence is right or wrong.
    If you go to Kissfaq you see the most critical fans of everything Kiss has done. I have been thinking about your post the last hour and wondering why is that? Maybe because Kiss themselves disown portions of their catalog and songs. Especially the 80's stuff. a lot of artists stand by their stuff but Kiss will be the first ones to trash it. If you read about Paul talking about Crazy Nights back in 1987 he said it was a cross between Animalize and Destroyer. They have historically championed their stuff when it comes out and then trash it when it is a disappointment. I remember reading a Goldmine issue where they rip apart Psycho Circus a few years after the fact. Totally trashing most of the material, trashing the producer who passed away at that point, trashing Peter and Ace, etc. You have to appreciate their honesty and their 20/20 hindsight but they will say its the best thing since sliced bread when a record gets released and then base their later opinions on it on how successful it was. If the Elder sold 8 million copies they would never say a bad word about it. I guess since Kiss freely talks about its misses then the fans feel they can do the same.
    I don't see other artists trashing their past catalog as much as Kiss does.

19. bartels76

And used the line in a much better song! :)

Rhett likes this.
  20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

And Paul admits it.

21. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Man, I must be losing it! While I hear similarities, it doesn't even feel close to a "blatant rip" to me. I guess I need to clean my ears out!

Maybe it'll be clearer tomorrow, with a good night's sleep. But I've heard so many other tunes in my life that I felt had a much closer relationship to each other than "Tomorrow And Tonight" and "Golden Age Of Rock And Roll".

22. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

KISS copped it for what?

23. So have I. It flies by every time! I might spin it again today.

LongGoneBon, Paulo Alm and GodShifter like this.
  24. What's funny to me is that the above comment was the *only* thing Paul had to say about the song!

npgchris likes this.

25. This post has me thinking about how I evaluate an artist's work. When I get any album in my hands, I always give the artist the benefit of the doubt and I try to understand the artist on his/her own terms. Oddly enough, some of my favorite albums are ones that aren't that popular.

I have to admit that there really isn't a KISS song that I completely despise- even Peter's solo album...but a lot of this comes from my emotional investment in the band. That said, for the purpose of this thread, I feel like I am personally placing all their works on a spectrum, and it's forcing me to honestly break these songs down into hits and misses.

For the most part, a lot of my criticism comes down to 'they could have done this better/differently'.

When an artist I like comes out with an album that doesn't quite hit the mark for me, I always assume that the problem is with me, not them!