KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

NOWHERE TO RUN

When I first got Killers…I liked this one but was so not into Paul’s new vocal abilities. He obviously got some lessons between The Elder and Creatures, and this was his real intro of his newfound power.

That said, after years of listening to it, I think it’s great. Especially just before the lead. Then he gets to the falsetto part…which could have been done better. Not sure why he would throw that little bridge in after what he just went through on The Elder.

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Nowhere To Run has the best chorus. Classic Paul descending line - been done before but, since it's a nice run and he nails it, I'm cool with it.

Without a doubt, this is the best of the 3 Killers songs so far - I've never heard any of these prior to this thread, btw.

This ain't bad all - that's a hell of high not he pierces the sky with right before the solo.

3. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Nowhere to Run:
    Yeah, it does sound like something on Paul's solo album. Then again I didn't love that record, I merely liked it. Sure it was better than Peter and Gene's albums, but it was missing something for me, and this song doesn't quite feel that way to me, although granted most of the 78 songs are better. I like the acoustics at the beginning, they kind of remind me of Bargain by The Who, and it's nice to hear Gene finally show up. Solid guitar from Kulick, an admittedly pretty damn good solo. Overall, I enjoy this song, the best new song on here, as low a bar as that is. On a scale of one to ten, I give it Revenge being the best after Lick It Up

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Bob on Nowhere To Run:

Bob: Well, “Nowhere To Run” for me was Paul Stanley. I mean, he just put down this kicka** vocal on that track which made that, to me, this really standout track on that album. Even on the 89 tour, he just never did it, we rehearsed it but we never did it. It’s a great song but it’s just a hard song to sing.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He sounds great on this version:

6. bartels76

The remixed version found on the box set and First Kiss, Last Licks. It is claimed it is on one of the CD single versions of Forever but I haven't found it. I purchased two different despite the claims of it being it being on there but it is not. Needless to say the drums a bit boomy and bass is a bit more prominent but if I never pointed that out you would never notice a difference. Partners in Crime remix is very noticeable.

William Smart, npgchris and Curveboy like this.
  7. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton Forum Resident

The first few guitar notes of Nowhere To Run sound a lot like Hard As A Rock by AC/DC, or I guess vice versa. While one is electric and one is acoustic, both have that For Those About To Rock kinda picked intro. Maybe not very surprising given it's 1982.

Nowhere To Run is hardly a gem but on this set of four songs it's practically C'mon and Love Me. There is a sense of this is where Paul really started shredding his voice and not singing for the song but singing to prove he could. Which is so bizarre because anybody that was ever going to dig Paul Stanley already knew he was a tremendous vocalist.

This is a fairly nothing song to me. I think it's the vocal that grabs my attention and feels worth commenting on. Solo is okay, starts off a bit Ace-ish to my ears.

My mind might be playing tricks on me because of the lyrical content and that the titles are phonetically similar but does anyone else get a real A Million To One vibe from this song? I feel like they sound very similar.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The remix is supposed to be on the Canadian Forever CD single...but I've never owned it.

9. bartels76

NOWHERE TO RUN
    As I said earlier this my favorite song from Killer and just one of my favorites from Kiss. Probably not a Top 20 favorite but maybe Top 50. I agree Paul pushes a bit too much on this. We get it Paul you can sing and maybe even took some singing lessons at this point. That's the only fault I find with this song. It's a great breakup song and can't find any cheese factor in this. It's a well-crafted Paul song I think. Love Bob's lead breaks and Eric's double bass drumming. This has been performed live electrically and less than a handful of times acoustically. As it was stated, it may have been too hard for Paul to sing but based on how the rest of the 80's went it seems it would be in his wheelhouse as there are bunch of other songs like this with some Paul histrionics.

10. bartels76

I had it and it wasn't on there.

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

The chorus reminds me of this one from The Warriors movie soundtrack, 1979.

12. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

You Warriors are good. Real good.

The best.

:D

13. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Nowhere to Run

Intro sounds like AC/DC, For Those About to Rock. Paul's voice is a bit more screechy than I like. Like the previous two, it still sounds like his rock songs are stuck in Unmasked mode. Not awful, but not amazing. Production is good enough and the song's fine, but it's pretty forgettable. It's just plain. Certainly better than the last two from Killers, but that's not saying much.

14. The Zodiac

The Zodiac God's Lonely Man

None of the new tracks on "Killers" really do much for me, but I think they might have if they were in a different context. Surround these tracks with a few new cuts from Ace and Gene and maybe I'd be to be more appreciative of them. They aren't bad, exactly, but they are kinda lost at sea for me. They need something to compliment them.

15. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

Nowhere To Run

As other's have said, this one is all about Paul's singing. I like it, so I like this one as well. I do think that whenever KISS blends acoustics into a song it is almost automatically a "better" song because acoustic guitars are generally outside the norm for KISS.

Unrelated, but wow, you people are just crushing me lately--First someone disparages "Odyssey" and "Let's Put The In Sex," and now "Rockin' In The USA" and "Tomorrow And Tonight," another pair of songs I love.

I may need therapy when I read the comments for "Read My Body." :D

16. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

You and I can still be "brothers in KISS" and disagree on "Odyssey" and "X In Sex"! :cheers:

I'm quite sure there will be more than a few songs that I will champion, that you will dislike. There probably have already been at least a handful, but I can't remember. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe you were down on a bunch of Ace tunes that I liked quite a bit on the last few albums.

17. yarbles

yarbles Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't post much about MFTE as I've been depressed/apathetic...been reading, but not really taking much in. Thanks to everyone for the entertainment!

Fwiw, here's my assessment:

The Oath 8.5/10
    Under The Rose 8/10
    Dark Light 8/10
    Just A Boy 7.5/10
    Only You 7/10
    Mr Blackwell 6/10
    A World Without Heroes 5/10
    I 4/10
    Escape From The Island 2/10
    Fanfare 0/10
    Odyssey -666/10

Moving onto Killers, I didn't buy this album, and although 2/4 of the new songs are on my sole KISS studio CD (the 2cd 'Gold' comp), I think I've only heard them all once before. Well, twice now...and they all suck, IMO. Nowhere To Run is the least offensive of the 3 so far, but OMG what's that falsetto all about? Embarrassing, frankly.

Roll on COTN :goodie:

Tippy, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

NOWHERE TO RUN

I love this song. I don't need to give it the back-handed compliment of "good by KILLERS standards". It's just a good song, period. I guess Paul's vocal delivery is overdone for a lot of people here, but not to me. I hear more passion in Paul's voice on this one than the other new tunes here, by far. This song seems worlds away from the uncomfortable Paul I sensed on THE ELDER. He absolutely nails this one, in my estimation. Proof that we all hear things a little differently! The only way the song could be improved would be for it to have a nice Ace solo on it. Not that Bob's is bad, but it lacks emotion.

So the version included on the 2001 Box Set is the remix that was considered for CREATURES? It's very hard to tell a difference between them. The drum sound does not match the bombastic tone of the CREATURES album. Am I missing something? :confused:

I guess you can put me down as this thread's most unabashed champion of this song. I love it! 9/10

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

Just to clarify, I don't hate the new tunes on Killers . . . they just don't resonate with me and they seem pretty generic and too quirk-free in my opinion.

"See You in Your Dreams" and "Rockin' in the USA" I love. "Tomorrow and Tonight" would be one of my lower-ranked 70s KISS tunes, but I still like it.

Re different eras being a factor, the thing is that for most of the 80s, I only feel indifferent towards the Killers tracks. We're getting into spoiler territory here maybe, but both Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up I rank very highly--I love both. I mentioned that Dynasty starts my favorite five-album run of KISS albums. Well, Creatures and Lick It Up are the fourth and fifth albums in that run. And while I wouldn't rank either Animalize or Asylum as highly, I mostly love both. Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade were always my two least-favorite KISS albums, but I still like plenty on both, and there's very little that I simply feel indifferent two on them. Then once we get to Revenge, everything is right back on track in my opinion.

So really, it's just something about the Killers tunes that doesn't work for me. If "Down on Your Knees" were on Crazy Nights of Hot in the Shade, I'd probably think it's the worst tune on either (well, barring the other two tunes on Killers and a couple tunes on both Crazy Nights and Hot in the Shade that I haven't heard in a long time).

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

"Nowhere to Run"

I hadn't heard any of the Killers tunes in a long time--I don't actually own Killers, and never did. I had friends who owned it--I've had a ton of KISS fanatic friends in my life, and I had the four new tunes on a homemade cassette containing a bunch of rare KISS tracks, demos, etc. It's been years since I heard that cassette though.

Anyway, so the whole point of mentioning that is that this tune is quite a bit better than I remembered.

At that, I wouldn't say that this is a lost gem or anything like that, and it strikes me both as if (a) it would have been a Paul solo album leftover and (b) that "Thrills in the Night" is more or less a rewrite of this one. Presumably this was the one new track on this compilation that Paul regretted getting lost in the shuffle, but they didn't want to simply rerecord it, so "Thrills in the Night" is a transformed version of it.

The important thing is that this one isn't half-assed. It's nicely arranged and performed, with some good vocal work from Paul, too.

21. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

NOWHERE TO RUN

"Nowhere To Run," like someone else said, will probably be considered the best of the four Killers tunes. I like this song because I do think of it as a Paul Stanley solo album leftover. In a certain way, Paul's solo album, like Ace's, has kind of a "timeless" feel to it (where it could have been made anywhere from the late 70s to early 90s, at least), so a lot of Paul's better songs from 79-92 definitely sound in that vein. By contrast, Gene's and Peter's are VERY 1978, for better or worse.

I like the mix of electric and acoustic on "Nowhere," plus the part of the verses that has an almost Motown-ish melody. The falsetto doesn't bother me. God knows I'll take this song over the long (feels like 20 minutes) "I Still Love You."

PS...I prefer "Tomorrow And Tonight" over "Rock and Roll All Nite," but I was just a lurker here until we got to Dynasty.

22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton Forum Resident

We all might need therapy after listening to it!

:D

23. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Unless it's the rendition done by that chick who sometimes appears on Three Sides of The Coin.

24. intv7

intv7 Forum Resident

Thanks. Been floating in and out.

Kinda like my once rabid Kiss fanhood, over the past decade or so. :laugh:

25. intv7

intv7 Forum Resident

NOWHERE TO RUN

I absolutely adore this song. I think it's far and away the best of the four -- a really well-crafted track, top to bottom.

However, I do wonder if Paul was listening to a lot of Motown the week he wrote it -- namely Martha and the Vandellas ("Nowhere to Run to, baby, nowhere to hide") and The Supremes ("Back In My Arms Again"). The melody of the line "I was there with a shoulder to lean on / It's not gonna happen twice" seems awfully similar to "I lost him once through friends' advice / But it's not gonna happen twice". Every single time that line comes up in the song, I hear Diana Ross. Maybe it was by osmosis, as she was hanging around with Gene in those days, but it was probably just an unconscious lift in the vein of George Harrison a la "My Sweet Lord". Am I the only one who hears this similarity?

D.B., Curveboy, SammyJoe and 6 others like this.