KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

At one point I thought he was talking about a card game or something and the line was "get up and get your grand right out of here"...cause there was something to do with a deuce.

2. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I also semi-regularly post at the Blu-ray.com forum, and they have a "group hug" emoji that I thought of just now when I read your post. Here is what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

Thought you might get a chuckle out of seeing it here. It seemed apropos given your nice post.

M321115, Marble Index and GodShifter like this.
  3. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Based on the responses I've seen here from just a few folks, it seems you could do an entire "Misheard lyrics from the opening line of 'Deuce'" thread!

They've all made me chuckle, but I think "grime" is my favorite so far! :laugh:

4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Very well articulated there!

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Love Theme - throwaway, simple as that.

6. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I guess I have a darker interpretation of Deuce. I thought the open lyric was "Get up and get your cryin' outta here". (Goes with verse 2). I thought that deuce referred to a 'john' and the singer was a POV of either a pimp or someone who had arranged for the services. I thought I read that somewhere...

Does anyone else think it's hard to play this song and sound like the record? Guitar almost sounds doubled. The room sound on this song is awesome and doesn't sound like anything else at that time. Almost Destroyer-like. The pace of the song is rather forceful. It definitely gets your attention.

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think Love Theme works well as an interlude between Deuce and the two songs coming up. The last two songs pack a wallop.

And I know everyone participating here has heard this, but it's a big forum and people might be reading that haven't...

So for information purposes since we're talking about it...here's Acrobat.

8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I really dig this tune, a cool instrumental. Nice little riffs, cool bassline, just a solid groove.

9. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

Peter's best drumming that never appeared on a KISS album...

10. moops

moops Senior Member

:laugh: Yeah, I was baffled as a kid ..... trying to get my head around fractions during the day and then KISS lyrics at night.

superstar19 and GodShifter like this.
  11. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

There was room on the vinyl to add Kissin' Time at a later date - so originally there would have been room for the full Acrobat song... Hmmmmm...

npgchris and GodShifter like this.
  12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think the grandma line works better in the context of a show opener. It doesn't quite have the same impact on side two.

But on Alive! it's like, we are here and we are going to rock, and it's really loud, and if you brought your grandma that was probably a mistake. So you should probably get her out of here.

Wil1972, William Smart, D.B. and 4 others like this.
  13. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Ha. We should do a thread on "Your interpretation of KISS lyrics' meanings when you were a kid vs. when you were an adult" :)

M321115 and GMcGilli like this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I wonder if anyone actually went to a Kiss show with their grandma? :laugh:

Marble Index likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Throw them in this one. I'm not particular ;). Seriously, I'd be fine with it. Any KISS discussion is good with me :)

Peace N. Love likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I bet it's happen more than once :laugh:

William Smart likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd be interested to hear some examples. I've followed KISS pretty religiously since the beginning. I've actually seen them live around 70 times over the years. I'm a musician--that's what I've done for a living my whole life, and drums are one of my three main instruments. When I started following KISS in 1974 I'd already been playing drums for five-six years. I wouldn't claim that Peter never had time problems in the 70s, but I sure don't recall experiencing that.

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Gene's one of my favorite vocalists, too . . . and one of my favorite songwriters for the genre(s) of music he does. I'm also quite fond of his bass playing.

moops and npgchris like this.
  19. moops

moops Senior Member

That would be cool ...... I reckon just throw it all in here along with your song analysis.
    How you interpret the lyrics all adds to your take on the song.

As for Deuce, as an adult ( still debatable ) my take on it lyrically has ended up being that the "deuce" is a reward and I would think a pretty good one.

20. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Wow, 70 times? I just counted, and I came to 11 times for myself. I would be curious to see a break-down by era for those 70 shows.

How many times did you see the original line-up, between 73 and 79? I'd be interested to know which 1-5 shows stand out from that group of 70.

By all means, as we go through the albums in this thread, I hope you will add some anecdotes from shows you saw on the respective tours.

EDIT: As to your other question, I'll try and give you some dates (and links on Youtube if appropriate) that feature some of Peter's not-so-shining moments.

21. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I think Love Theme is a cool song. A nice break on the album. I agree that it's best that they chopped the rest of Acrobat, it's interesting stuff but not necessary. I wish they would do an updated/modern version of Love Theme at current live shows. Speed up the tempo and make it more "rock".

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  22. moops

moops Senior Member

Love Theme ..... I like it, though I'm not exactly sure what they intended it to be after shortening it.
    I'm glad they shortened it anyway as it doesn't over-stay it's welcome, and I'm sold on anything with a harmony guitar part and Gene's bass-work is anticipating the arrival of Derek Smalls.
    However, I'm not sure it's in the best spot it could have been on side two.
    I'd move it after the one/two punch of Deuce and 100, 000 years and as Love Theme fades out, an extended acoustic intro to Black Diamond fades up to the start of the vocal.

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hm, what to say about "Love Them From Kiss", that is the question?
    I think it's nice little cool piece of instrumental music, groovy with nice bass. It works as little break and interlude between two tracks.
    You might think it's a little filler, but it works nicely betweem the two actual songs, so it has place and meaning. I like it.
    I don't think I even heard Acrobat back in the day, but once I got the boxset and some other recordings, I understand where it came from.

By the way, I really like to read these interpretations of the songs, how you understanded them as kid and now.
    But especially the ones are fun to read where someone has heard the lyrics wrong and made interpretation from them.
    I don't think I have ever read or participated in such cool topic about Kiss songs and lyrics, so definitely lets keep this going here folks.

GodShifter and moops like this.
  24. raginghessian

raginghessian Well-Known Member

I'm probably been to about 45 or so shows and have a similar background as you do. I don't know that Peter had a timing problem from like verse to chorus speeding up or slowing down, I just think he was awfully inconsistent. Live he would just get careless with tempos. Just listen to any live version of "Hooligan" and how ridiculously fast it is. Here is one example I can point to is "Detroit Rock City" from Largo MD 1977. Listen to Gene and Paul playing the riff at the beginning, tap it out and then compare it to when Peter comes in ……Peter just runs away with it.

25. I'm a fan of 'love theme' - especially that rubbery bass playing. It's a bit like Jack Bruce, but less intense.... maybe more like Felix Pappalardi from Mountain.

I think more bands should use it as pre-show 'walk on' (stage) music.

William Smart and Drewstir like this.