KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I hope he is nice to dogs.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This is another one that I like, sort of a personal theme song....

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Without getting too personal, what is it about this song that moves you? Again, in general terms; you don't have to mention a thing about yourself at all.

4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Really behind . . . I still didn't even work on "Forever" yet. I might just post a couple comments without analyzing the tunes the way I've been doing. Although I'll have to do it later, because I've got to get something done in the next few hours.

I also have about 10 pages of comments to catch up with here already. :help:

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Paul states the song is about "being proud of who we are and embracing where we come from”. In my case small town boy from a blue collar background, moves to the big city, works in a white collar world and learns where all the real judgmental ***holes/snakes are....bottom line we have no control over where we're born or the environment we are raised in however we do have control over what we can do with our lives even if it involves making very tough decisions and navigating/fighting thru a lot of **** to get there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. GodShifter

Got it. Makes sense. You're definitely a dude I'd like to have a beer or two with. Always enjoy your participation & opinions. Cheers.

7. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Shoot To Thrill?

8. GodShifter

No, close but I'm thinking of something else. Thanks for trying though! Frustrating!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  9. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Silver Spoon

I was going to skip reviewing this one because it's another song that simply doesn't do anything for me, it's just........there. I don't think the background singers work and I'm getting annoyed with Paul's preachy 'street tough' manner of singing. Forgettable and generic.

10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I think a lot of people have certainly known the type of woman that Stan describes in the song, so I can relate to it on that level for sure.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

SILVER SPOON

Always liked this one, even if Paul gets a bit screechy at times. But look, it's all about the chick singers at 3:58.
    At that point I am in heaven. This is magical stuff and a complete shock when I first heard it. At 4:25 that "everything" is just perfection.

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well as someone who has had to fight for every scrap most of my life this song strikes a chord with me as well.

13. bartels76

SILVER SPOON

What he said.

14. Combination

That was actually some sassy gals brought down from a baptist church somewhere in L.A.!

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Silver Spoon

This is okay. I like the groove of it and the melody has a decent tough edge to it without being over the top sounding. And I like the overall sentiment of the song - and, to large extent, ANYthing at this stage of the game (and forward) for Paul and Gene that's not about their junk is ok.

My big sticking point is the chorus: I wasn't born with a Silver Spoon. Again and again. To me, it's just not a good phrase or image to keep hammering home. I think it detracts a good deal from the verses.

Being born with a silver spoon - the image is of a baby, at least to me - and I kind of get this air defensiveness to it - the phrase and image - that gets in the way for me.

Probably putting too much thought into it - but KISS really has a HUUUUUGE spectrum in two colums: The Grand Slam titles and The, uh, Not So Much titles.

16. Combination

Wait a second - he only says "I wasn't born with a silver spoon" one single time in the chorus!

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I only think of silver spoon as in the context of the saying "born with a silver spoon," meaning inherited wealth and privilege...something unearned.

18. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Me, too! Those background singers are everything! I remember some anecdote about how they wanted to be sure they weren't singing no "devil stuff"! :)

To me it's one of the KISS songs where the chorus isn't especially repetitive - he only sings "Silver Spoon" twice in each three-line chorus, once at the start and once at the end:
    Google Play Music

19. Combination

Yep, they wanted to be sure that whatever they were singing wouldn't be negatively viewed by their church. :whistle:

William Smart and npgchris like this.
  20. bartels76

It seems like more than that to me too! :D

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

For me the girl in the song is an allegory for "everyone" who's a judgemental/elitist ---hat.

Silver Spoon

I ain't lookin' like nobody's fool, save it for somebody else
    And I ain't makin' any desperate move, 'till I'm satisfied myself
    I ain't waitin' for no invitation, I just want to walk on through
    I never needed anybody, and like my daddy said

I wasn't born with a silver spoon, nowhere to hide in a crowded room
    I see the attitude that's in your eyes, I got no reason to apologize
    Cause what's so special 'bout a girl like you, with a silver spoon

In a city where the buildings rise, I was just another face
    But mama told me when somebody dies, no one else can take your place

Cause I've got something for a girl like you, with a silver spoon

I always knew I'd be somebody, I kept it in my head

Cause what's so special 'bout a girl like you, with a silver spoon

Written by Paul Stanley, Vini Poncia • Copyright © Universal Music Publishing Group

22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Fire Woman?

MagneticNorthpaw likes this.
  23. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

It's always interesting to me that self-made people who become rich and successful and don't respect people born with a 'silver spoon' in their mouth choose to have children. Paul had a daughter in 2009, he had a few bucks in the bank by then, no? I'm not even criticizing, it's just something that I find curious, and anyway 2009 isn't 1989 so there you go.

So Silver Spoon. This song is fine although pretty generic and uninspired. I don't see why it would be considered by Paul to be so superior to his other HITS songs. Maybe he wrote a greater percentage of it than other tunes on the album?

This is the ultimate example of a song being one minute too long. When Paul starts giving his rap about 'everybody is somebody' I want off the ride and I straight up hate the female backing vocals. Silver Spoon is 4.43, I would hard cut end it at 3.40. And at that length it's a perfectly acceptable album track.

I can't help but note that this is song 8 on the album so in normal circumstances we should be wrapping things up but we've barely passed the halfway point. And I'm fading. I'm way less familiar with the tunes from here on out. I know for sure that there's at least three songs to come that are not good at all so this is starting to feel like a marathon that I haven't trained enough for.

I can't even remember the solo from Silver Spoon and I've listened to the song three times this morning. There's some obvious craft applied to this song but I hear very little inspiration.

This is the worst KISS studio album to date and the songs are best heard in a mix on shuffle. There's no way I could sit through this whole album. Note to terrorists everywhere, you would never need to torture me, just play Hot in the Shade and I'll tell you whatever you want to know!

D.B., carlwm, dadonred and 10 others like this.
  24. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

It seemed like a 100.

:laugh:

25. GodShifter

The song is too long and the album is waaay too long. Jesus, 15 songs? C'mon.

I'd say HitS is not the worst so far, but it's just very same-y sans "Hide Your Heart" and "Forever". There's just not much to latch onto here but I've bitched about that for every album since LIU. @yarbles mentioned "Fire Woman" for the beginning of SS, but I have to wonder with HitS if KISS wasn't driving at a The Cult like sound here. Certainly Sonic Temple was released in the same year. I can't help but feel KISS was trying to do something similar to that album.