KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Brother if I could I'd sit here punching the like button all night. (that's what she said) sorry. Excellent fooking post! I agree with you 100% on everything! And I'll gladly talk Monkees anytime! I still watch them every Saturday morning! Love them. I found my way here looking for info on that unmentionable band with the initials KC! Just in case you're wondering. LMAO

D.B., MagneticNorthpaw and npgchris like this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I can't say The Monkees have stayed with me the way The Beatles have, but they were a huge deal for me when I was a kid. I was super-obsessed with them the year before I got bitten by the KISS bug. I was never into sports when I was a kid and would do just about anything to avoid having to play any, and I can remember kids coming over and being like let's play football or whatever, and I'd say no let's pretend to be The Monkees. Didn't really get a lot of takers on that one. I was a weird kid. :laugh:

3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I will say this one thing about the Monkees.

They were a joke to me for the longest time and I thought the forum people here were CRAZY in the devotion/obsession (I actually still kind of think that) and then one day I did an experiment: I listened and imagined I knew nothing about them, no tv show, no history of how they came to be, blah blah... and I heard a pretty damn good pop group.

And I got most of those Rhino reissues and was pretty surprised at HOW MANY songs they recorded - AND how many very solid pop tunes never really saw the light of day.

Mickey is a hell of a singer. Porpoise song? Whew, great.

4. William Smart

Brother take a few days off. What's the worse that could happen? ( other than being turned into a KC thread lol) We'll just go insane for a while (well the rest of the thread will, not me, I'm already there). Don't burn yourself out you're the main reason this thread is so cool. Not to detract from a cast of groovy partakers of the feast!

5. vamborules

top five Monkees songs just because...

She
    Words
    Valleri
    A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
    The Girl I Knew Somewhere

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Paul - I Stole Your Love
    Gene - Almost Human or She
    Peter - Beth because I like it and he 'wrote' it. Otherwise, not being so anal retentive, probably Strange Ways or Black Diamond
    Ace - Rocket Ride

7. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

OK, I'll play. I'm sorry, @vamborules, I can't limit it to 5. Even cutting it down this far hurts!

Chronologically:

Papa Gene's Blues
    Let's Dance On
    You Just May Be The One
    For Pete's Sake
    Randy Scouse Git
    Love Is Only Sleeping
    Cuddly Toy
    Pleasant Valley Sunday
    Porpoise Song
    Circle Sky
    Long Title: Do I Have To Do This All Over Again?
    Listen To The Band

Mike Nesmith has another 8-10 absolute gems that never got released during the Monkees career, and only surfaced in recent times with their deluxe reissues. This is of the stuff that was released at the time.

8. vamborules

I like to keep it to five because then you have to think which ones you really like. Plus My Monkees knowledge is not too deep, I mostly know the big ones as you can see. But I did almost put Cuddly Toy on mine. That's a great song although I think Nilsson's original is probably the better version.

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  9. William Smart

Great list brother! I would add to that Goin Down and Door Into Summer and Saturday's Child and Auntie Grizelda and and I could easily quadruple your list. I'm listening to them now! Couldn't resist Take A Giant Step is on. I forget how much I love them sometimes. When Davy died it was like losing an old friend. But that's OK.... Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day..... :)

10. vamborules

When I was about 8 or 9, I thought Goin' Down was the wildest thing I had ever heard. I couldn't even understand what it was! Too freaky to comprehend.

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  11. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

So sorry, VarbleV.

yarbles likes this.
  12. William Smart

It's about a guy who gets dumped by his girlfriend and so jumps off a bridge. As soon as he hits the water he regrets it, he can float, but he "can't swim a single note". He floats down the Mississippi regretting his action and not taking her advice. Finally as day dawns he waves to folks on shore and decided to float to New Orleans where he will dig the groovy scene. Great tune but how Dolenz sings it without tying his tongue in knots is amazing! With all the words in front of me I still can't keep up with him. Faster than any rapper ever! Lol peace

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  13. vamborules

I just mean it sounded different than anything I had heard before, just had a kind of hippy, beatnik vibe...not that I knew what those things were. Plus the 'video', for lack of a better word, was so different visually to anything else on the show. So trippy... not that I knew what that was either. The whole thing just sorted of hinted at some other kind of world I didn't understand.

D.B., npgchris and William Smart like this.
  14. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Paul: Love Gun (Tomorrow lost by inches ... ;))
    Gene: Watchin' You
    Peter: Beth
    Ace: Rocket Ride
    Vinnie: Exciter (this is definitely more of a VV track than a Paul track, regardless of the vocalist. Don't hate.)

15. vamborules

Back on topic. Here's an amazing pic of the fearsome foursome.

[​IMG]

16. William Smart

Oh I see said the blind man! It was so different from everything else they did. I think they used it in a couple of episodes. Eddie Hoh is just amazing on drums. Love that song!

npgchris and vamborules like this.
  17. William Smart

You don't like The Beatles? John, Paul, George and Ringo Beatles? :mudscrying:say it ain't so..... I have heard that twice before and found it so hard to believe. To each his own and it's all subjective but:bigeek: wow!

OMG you too @GodShifter ? OK its definitely the end times. I'm going back to my cave and taking all my Beatles, Monkees, Crimson and KISS albums with me!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    D.B., Cheevyjames, yarbles and 4 others like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Great! Peter's make up goes to show that the s/t album cover isn't that different than what it was in the early days. Notice he doesn't have high heels on either.

19. William Smart

Ace's boots are different too! That's a great photo.

20. vamborules

Yeah, I wonder if that means this was before a gig. You can't play drums in giant platforms.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. Great minds!

22. William Smart

I just explained that to my wife! Lol must be the water? Sumptin init!

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Right as I promised, here's little review from Mrs. SammyJoe:

Ok, my wife has now listened to the song and the verdict is that I won't have to sleep on the couch. :D
    I didn't mention anything about the song before she heard it, but she did recognized it as Kiss and Paul's voice.
    She said that the song was indeed forgettable filler, where nothing stands out really and that nobody remembers.

D.B., npgchris, ejluther and 5 others like this.
  24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

That's surprising. I'm sure you've read some of the long thread on the vinyl reissues. They (I guess US) were generally applauded. The few I bought (Unmasked, Dynasty, Unplugged) are excellent. Sorry to hear that. I guess they chose bad pressing plants in Europe.

I'd like to get Hot in the Shade, but I can't imagine that much music on one lp sounding good. Anyone have HITS on vinyl?

William Smart likes this.
  25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I've always felt that Alive! was Kiss' Exile, but better. Their epic statement, live, because Kiss is a live band.