KISS: The Songs 1974-2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

Too loud? You are too old. That is what I tell them. Of course I have around two "friends". :o:D

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  2. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Poll:

"She" or "Watching you"?

"Parasite" or "Rock Bottom"?

"Strutter" or "Deuce"?

William Smart likes this.
  3. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Mine: "She", "Parasite" and "Deuce"

(I didn't say this would be easy...)

I love the bridge in "She" and the intro too much. I love the solo turnaround in "Parasite" uber alles. And I love the frenetic pace of "Deuce" and it's gene-y Mc gene-y-ness.

4. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

This makes me think how little they used these stairs...in fact, I can’t think of another live concert photo that shows it...must be too risky in them boots....
    KISS 1977 @ MSG - 08

dadonred, npgchris and William Smart like this.
  5. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton Forum Resident

She over Watching You. She was one of the first KISS songs I really loved and I didn't 'get' Watching You for a long time.

Rock Bottom over Parasite. Love the RB intro and how short the actual song part is.

Strutter over Deuce and this one isn't close. Always loved Strutter and only recently have I come around to Deuce and even then I think it's a bit overrated.

6. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

If it's too loud you're too old right?
    Or you're never too old to Rock & Roll if you're too young to die?or is it If you can't hear us, don't worry about it, you're probably dead?
    I confuse myself too easily, but one of those usually works. At least you got two friends, they're probably good friends too I warrant.
    all's I got is this pet rock for a friend and I think he's deaf!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. William Smart

William Smart Forum Resident

I agree, no doubts at all!

dadonred likes this.
  8. D.B.

D.B. Well-Known Member

I have to say thay Gene did crack a couple of good jokes during the show as well... "We're four happy go lucky guys who like to wear a bit of make-up"...And had a good laugh or two. He was obviously just confused about what to project, as a few of you have noted. Definitely not relaxed...

William Smart, 24voltsdc and npgchris like this.
  9. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

Watchin You
    Parasite
    Ooh the last one is tough, those are the two that converted me, but I think I'll go with Strutter

William Smart, dadonred and npgchris like this.
  10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Forum Resident

HAHA, WTF?? There are more KISS songs?? :help:

I hope nobody takes this personally because I've loved every bit of the 8 months or so I have spent coming here and the discussions we've had but I am soooooooooooooooo burnt on KISS right now and being away has only reinforced the idea that I'm spent on discussing Gene and Paul.

If it is any consolation this is the longest, by far, I've ever participated in a single thread on this forum and that's mainly because of the company (you guys).

The Stones are my favorite band and you'll barely ever see me in those threads either because I just get burnt on discussing them also because by now I've heard/read it all... and KISS doesn't rank anywhere near my top ten.

If you're starting a VH thread I'll check in but my time is going to become more and more limited as the holidays approach. Perhaps we could postpone that until January if and when this thread ever wraps itself up? My fear is that by the time it does there will be a new KISS album out and we'll need to discuss it...LOL :yikes:

This was a huge undertaking and one of the greatest threads on here, no doubt, and I'm proud to have been a part of it, but it's been over for me for awhile now. I haven't been passionate about musical discussions for a long time (this thread was the exception) as I much prefer to just listen and make new musical discoveries which is why I spend most of my time in the "What Are You Listening To Now" threads, lots of variety and stuff I haven't heard before.

Discussing how Honky Tonk Women should have replaced Country Honk on Let It Bleed lulls me to sleep. The album is nearly 50 years old...leave it alone already...LOL..

Eh, hope you get what I'm saying...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Post the link in this thread when you start it. Not sure how much I'll participate but I'm interested since I've now heard the Roth albums because of this thread. I have noticed an increase in album-by-album threads since this one has been going. I looked at a Beatles album by album thread that just started and the feeling did not compare to the crowd here. Nor did the quality of the discussion. I don't think I could be a part of a Beatles thread. There are too many opinions there to enjoy it the way it was done here. Anyone ever listen to the podcast Fabcast? While I enjoy the depth of the discussion, the hosts are wayyyy too effusive in their feelings particularly about John and Paul. I think these guys are in love with them. It should've been called Fabwank because it sounds like guys trying to reach orgasm by talking about The Beatles. And they achieve it.

12. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

She
    Parasite
    Strutter

3 of the greatest songs from their early years.

13. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You're welcome.

14. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

Strutter v. Deuce was hard

15. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

She
    Parasite
    Strutter ( On another day it could be Duece. They're both great. )

16. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

"Get up and get your grandma out of here!" Is one of the best lyrics in rock history.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Starless and Bible Black Sabbath® Thread Starter

I do get what you're saying and I feel kind of bad for cajoling you into participating in something that you've made clear before that you're just kind of done with. No big deal. Enjoyed interacting with you in this thread and I'm sure we'll do so in other threads in future. Take care my friend.

18. GodShifter

Very hard. I'd probably pick "Strutter" but it wouldn't be by much.

19. dadonred

dadonred Forum Resident

It' a well executed song. What about the other pairs?

William Smart likes this.
  20. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Watchin' You

Parasite

Deuce

21. GodShifter

GOD OF THUNDER (Demo) 1975 (Stanley) (2:53)

This was the original version of “God of Thunder” before it was altered to become Gene’s theme/showcase tune on Destroyer.

Gene has stated that “God of Thunder” was Paul’s attempt to write a “Gene Simmons song”, but Stanley has refuted that. He says the song is, in fact, about himself and the lyric changes to the song were not that drastic to what the song became on 1976’s Destroyer. It’s pretty obvious, though, that either Gene or Bob Ezrin or both did some re-writing to make it more suitable for “The Demon” character that Gene plays.

The tempo for the demo is almost disco like and much more upbeat than the claustrophobic, doom laden number from Destroyer. Gone, too, of course, are the sound effects and other production elements that Ezrin added for the finished studio version.

The drummer on this is JR Smalling (who also played on “Doncha Hesitate”). Smalling lays down a fairly funky beat with lots of high hat and cowbell while the bass, played by Paul, is pulsing throughout the entire tune. Both the drums and the bass give the song its danceable vibe. The guitars have a nice crunch to them and the solo (I’m guessing played by Paul) is short and direct. Nice touch with the falsetto background vocals, too. Paul’s version of “God of Thunder” is pretty good and quite an interesting oddity as the curtain is pulled back a bit here for this one.

22. GodShifter

I'm going to go with "She" over "Watching You" and "Rock Bottom" over "Parasite". That wasn't easy, either.

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

That was a big revelation when this was mentioned as part of the box set. I'm not sure people in the tape trading scene even knew that demo existed, much less heard it.

And I still wonder - were there any other demos with J.R. Smalling on drums? When you've got a road manager who is willing to lock another band's road manager inside a road case, these things are important!

24. GodShifter

What's this about the road managers? I'm going to admit I don't even know who J.R. Smalling is (besides he's, obviously, a session drummer). I've never heard of him before.

As far as the Paul "God of Thunder" version, it is interesting to hear and, as you noted, was a highly anticipated inclusion to The Box Set. I'm certain I posted this demo before when we discussed Destroyer at length, but I don't think much as said about the demo hence why I'm bringing it up again.

npgchris and William Smart like this.
  25. Musicman1998

Musicman1998 Forum Resident

God of Thunder Demo:
    I actually enjoy it, it's a neat little artifact. But Ezrin made the right call