Klaatu Clarification (Calling Gary?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Minn, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member Thread Starter

I have owned their self-titled first album on CD for many years. Can anyone tell me if this was the first release on CD?

1989 Capitol Records (CDP 7 92076 2)

How does the release I currently have compare to some of the remastered re-releases that are available? I am also looking for the original CD release of Hope. Is this worth considering from a sound quality perspective? Will it even be possible to find it?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Hi, Roland!

Technically speaking, the first album is called 347EST. I know, picky, picky. ;)

I do not have the original CD release. At least I don't THINK it's the first release. :( This re-release is on Justin Entertainment, JEMD-9, remastered by George Graves. Manufacutured by Cinram for Justin Entertainment Inc. Discributed by MCA Records Canada. The only date on it is 1976 which is when the LP came out. There is very little information on the CD 'booklet' which just folds out once and has the track listing. That's it.

There is a British 2-fer remaster out there but it's pretty screechy. 347EST and Hope. BGO Records(BGOCD518). Pass on it.

The remasters are on Bullseye Records (BLR-CD 2510). Apparently (I can't really tell because of what you are about to read) they are - for the first time - from the original tapes.

Listening to this, I realized that this was the biggest musical disappointment of my life. :realmad: It's so compressed that it rivals the latest Ozzy CD. Honest! There is no soundstage left unless the whole band really *did* play in a space of five feet. :rolleyes: It's bright, in your face and thus I consider it horrible. Of course, to be fair, since I could not bring myself to listen to the whole thing, it may have improved after Anus of Uanus. Sadly, the band had input to the remaster...

Nawwww.....

I actually met the owners wife of Bullseye and complained. She said that no one has complained except me and they have sold hundreds of CDs.... this was a while ago. But hundreds of CDs in a month and a half - not too good, I'd say. I suggested that they should do an audiopphile version with a sound stage, etc. She said she'd mention it to her husband.

Got Greg Goddovich's autograph, though! But that's off topic...

Yes, Hope is out there! My copy is Justin Entertainment, JEMD-13. Also manufactured by Cinram (as per the inner ring) but the writing on the CD says "Manufactured and distributed by MCA Records Canada". The 'booklet' is even more sparse: one sheet of paper, nothing on the inside!

Bullseye is supposed to release the whole catalogue but with (what appears to be) the poor sales success of 347EST, it's probably cancelled. And since Hope was to be released early in 2002.... and it's not here yet...

"shrug" Guess the rarities are not going to make it either.

You know these guys are here in TO (I think). I should do something about that. Like give 'em Steve's email address..... :D

Check out: http://www.klaatu.org/

3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

So sad the hear about the poor remastering. I was looking forward to it but will hang on to my two cd two-fers of the first 4 lps. Also have their Greatest Hits "Peaks" on CD as well. Really looking forward to their Rarities, what a shame about this & the proposed box set. They were damm good band, Capitol should turn the masters to someone like One-Way, they did a decent job on the Lee Michaels catlg.
    Also you mentioned that they said you were the only complainer, did they get a rave reviews?
    Rick A.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't remember seeing any reviews at all - except for the web site babble which was totally off base. And the promotional material. It looked good! I *was* going to have the poster framed....

This coming week, I know someone who knows the Bullseye guy. I'll try to glean some information - maybe something is happening after all.

I do know that these remasters (they are called Klaatu Remaasters ~ cute, huh?) were in the works for a long time because there was debate on how to release the rare tracks. Bonus CD in the box set? As bonus tracks on each CD (didn't happen). Separate CD issue?

I think the masters are up here in Canada.... who has them (band members? MCA? Daffodil Records?) ~ who knows?

Actually I do have a rare Daffidol compiliation LP somewhere with a pre 'first LP' release of Doctor Marvello (I think). I should find it sometime....

5. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member Thread Starter

Great information, Gary. Thanks for your response!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.