Klipsch H 700 Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chip-hp, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

I picked up a pair of Klipsch H 700 Speakers at an estate sale ... I believe that they were made in the mid '60s ... would appreciate any info or a link ... I did a google search but came up empty. :)

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Chip,

Have you hooked them up? I will curious to hear how they sound. Say, you are at post # 1190 - KLIF!

Bob:)

3. chip-hp

Hi Bob,

That's the "Mighty 1190" ... I have hooked them up to my estate sale Fisher RS 2010 receiver that supposedly is rated at 136 watts per channel and they sound pretty good, but I haven't cranked them up yet ... I would like to get a little more info on the Klipsch speakers ... I can't get the grill covers off, so I'm not sure what I have ... each speaker has a little different label on the back ... one says "Klipschorn conrer horn speaker system" while the other says "Klipsch Model H 700 loudspeaker system" ... each has model "H-WO-12" written in ink ... the cabinets are 15 1/2" W, 21 1/2" H and 13" D and seem to weigh at least 50 lbs each.

The Klipsch speakers are sitting on top of a pair of Cerwin Vega DX Series speakers that I bought at a garage sale ... they are 34" H and rated 255 watts according to the label ... sitting on top of the Klipsch speakers, I also have a pair of Ohm Walsh 2 speakers which have round speakers coming out of the top of their cabinets ... both of these speakers are hooked up to the Fisher receiver ... as is my Sony SCD-CE775 CD player which I bought new based on the recommendation of several forum members.

I am not an audiophile ... but I like to buy vintage audio equipment at garage and estate sales if the price is right ... I really like the Fisher receiver, but it is more powerful than I am use to.

I have been comparing the different speakers listening to Ace's 'Modern Vocal Groups - Vol. 5' ... which I highly recommend but that's a different thread ... and Tony Bennett's Carnegie 2-CD which I bought on another member's recommendation and like very much ... first all, the acoustics of the Ohm speakers improved dramatically when I put them on top of the Klipsch speakers ... the top of the speakers are now about 12'' from the ceiling ... the Ace CD sounds the best on the Cerwin Vegas and TB CD sounds best on the Ohm speakers ... and this is at volume level 5 on a volume scale that goes up to 30.

That will teach you to ask "how do they sound". :)

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Chip,

You 'are' an audiophile and you demonstrate all the classic symptons such as seeking out vintage equipment and playing different masterings on different speakers.....there is no use denying it!:laugh:

Thanks for all the details of the listening sessions.

Bob:D

5. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Try checking out Klipsch's website:

http://www.klipsch.com/

Search their forum under "2 Channel Audio"; you will probably be able to find some information on your speakers. You might even find some info under their "Classic Product" link, which is located on the left side of the homepage screen.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I think you have a pair of Heresy speakers - if my Klipsch memory serves me it crosses at 700 hz to the midrange horn and W 0-12 is probably the woofer model type. I'll see if I can find my copy of Dope From Hope (collection of dealer paperwork Klipsch useta print - some funny stuff is in those PK ramblings)....

7. chip-hp

Thanks, Ed ... I did find this from Malcolm by searching "H 700" in the forum:

'H700 is simply an early Heresy. The "H" stands for Heresy. The "700" appears to stand for the crossover frequency between the woofer and tweeter. They have Type C crossover network and 16 ohm woofer, just like the ones labeled Heresy manufactured during the early 70s. All the H700s I have seen, including the 1966 pair I own, have ElectroVoice SP12B woofers. Slightly Later Heresys, like the 1972 pair I own, have Type C crossover and 16 ohm CTS woofer.

H700 tweeter is K77. Squawker driver is K55-V. These are the same as used through the 70s and into the 80s with the exception of the very last year Heresys that had K-52-H or K-53-K squawker drivers and a slightly different sound. The older models had PWK in a chevron for a logo. The bar didn't show up until the later years.'

I am not sure I understand everything that Malcolm is saying, but it's more than I knew yesterday ... BTW mine have the PWK in the chevron on the logo attached to the grill.

8. chip-hp

Thanks, Mike ... Your memory appears to be in good working order ... I was preparing my post while you were posting ... I am a slow typer.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I thought I was the champeen hunt 'n peck typist here! :D That tweeter doesn't crossover at 700; it's the woofer to midrange crossover point. That's toast city if you tried that with about any tweeter on the market. I think that tweeter (I believe it's an Electro-Voice T-35) was designed to be crossed at 3500hz. Heck, why add a midrange horn if you could cross the tweeter over that low - mebbe the mid/tweet horn in a Tannoy like Steve uses, but then the highs are gently rolled off in the last octave... Sounds like you have an earlier version - Electro-Voice built/builds high quality drivers - not cheap, nosiree. Nice snag of an oldtimer - boy, I need to live in a big city again - the audio pickins' here are lean... :(

10. chip-hp

Thanks ... pickings are good ... but there is lots of competition (I got in line for the estate sale where I bought the speakers 3 hrs before it opened and there were 8 people already infront of me - fortunately none of them were interested in records or audio equipment) ... I mainly look for records ... you will appreciate this find - a NM 'You're The One That Done It/This Time (pre Troy Shondell)' by Thomas Wayne (of 'Tragedy' fame) on Mercury 71287 from '58 along with 10 or so other NM 45s from the same era for a $1 each, but I missed several rockabilly 45s (Billy Boyd, Narvel Felts and someone else) that one of my friendly competitors snagged, cuz I went thru them too fast to get to the next sale. These records were still sitting there 45 minutes after the estate sale opened ... so you never know ... it's a numbers game.

Do you know how the grill covers are typically attached to the Klipsch speakers of that era? ... I would like to see the speakers, but don't want damage the grill covers, cuz they are in excellent shape.

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I've never had a pair of Klipsch speakers to pop the hood on; I'd email Klipsch and ask them the proper way to go about it....

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.