Klipsch owners, stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Klipschorns, Heresy's, Forte's, Cornwall's, Chorus'.

grbluen and The Pinhead like this.
  2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have a HT setup using RF5s, RB35s, and a RC35. For my great room i have RB35s and an RC10. Awesome for rockin roll.

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Own Heresys now. Just starting the search for a pair of minty black late model chorus 2s. Hope to have them by mid summer. Then will come crossover upgrades. The question I have for you or any chorus owner is what do you think of the titanium diaphragm upgrades?

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

Dig your taste. My favorite speaker brands are Tannoy, Altec, Klipsch and JBL.

Gregory Earl and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Ditto. To add to what others have said-Heresys should be off the floor or at least up on risers and slightly tilted up on the front-totally different sound.

6. russk

russk Forum Resident

Finally found and bought a pair of mint condition (look like they were just purchased and pulled out of the boxes) October 1985 Cornwalls in walnut with risers. The guy even had the original boxes, packing material, instruction manual, brochures and receipt. All for 599.99. Can't believe how good these sound and can't believe I ever thought about carving them up and putting in a fastrac horn. For now I'm just enjoying how fantastic the sound. Only draw back to putting these monsters in the corners of my room is that I am thinking I could actually fit some Altec Model 19s in there. Then I tell myself they wouldn't sound good in corners like my Cornwalls :laugh:

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Crites Titanium HF elements are essential for the Chorus owner. A major upgrade.

8. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I had some medium sized ones, which sadly I sold and now I have some kg2's....... I wish I had my old big ones again still.

9. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

I've got a pair of outdoor Klipsch speakers (can't remember the model) in the yard and they sound amazing. They've been outside year round for about 10 years unprotected.

wilejoe likes this.
  10. -19db

-19db Active Member

Tangent 4000's
    The bass loving poor man's Heresy II

11. Olecranon

Olecranon Forum Resident

Count me in. I have a mint pair of Chorus II's in oiled oak.

1) Replaced the crossovers with new ones from Bob Crites.
    2) Replaced the tweeter diaphragms with titanium versions from Bob.
    3) Replaced the midrange diaphragms with new phenolic version from Bob.

I decided to do the full gamut since I knew I was going to be riding these hard!

I debated getting titanium diaphragms for the midranges, but a lot of smart people are against it. If you replace the midrange phenolic diaphragm with the titanium version, there is much more overlap with the tweeter causing a +6db spike at 6000Hz. Bob Crites does make an add-on for crossovers to attenuate this spike, but I just decided to go with his new phenolic versions which sound great to me.

True story--I had a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sigs for years. I picked up the Chorus II's for my man cave because I wanted something awesome for rock. I decided to hook them into my main system, and they never left. What they lack in accuracy, they make up for in energy, pace, and timing. Those horn tweeters have such an awesome airy quality about them. It's like having a concert in my living room whenever I listed to music :)

SandAndGlass, The Pinhead and russk like this.
  12. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I probably don't even qualify for this discussion, but whenever I go anywhere with my one of my iPods, the Klipsch Image X10 earbuds are the ones for me!
    :hide:

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

I was in the Vandersteen camp for a bit too. But to me they just sounded lifeless when compared to Cornwalls or Chorus 2s.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  14. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

welcome aboard!

SandAndGlass and russk like this.
  15. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Original Forte's - Love 'em!!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Bought a pair of Heresys in 1975. Gave them away in 2010.

17. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

A beautiful pair of oiled walnut 1978 Heresy 1's, with Crites rebuilt xovers. They sound terrific with my Fisher 400 in the living room. I now have my radar set on something larger, Klipsch-wise, for the basement.

Gregory Earl likes this.
  18. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Been looking for a pair of American made speakers that will meet WAF
    How are the Heresy's for all over the house listening
    Don't really care about the sweet spot because when I'm listening I'm walking around kitchen,living room etc
    Budget will be around 2k
    Thanks from reading this I'm inclined to seriously look into Klipsh speakers
    Joe

19. russk

russk Forum Resident

For 2k you can grab a nice pair of Cornwalls and throw in a pair of ALK crossovers and they will fill your whole house with glorious sound, plus youll have about 600 bucks left over. You can also put them flat against a wall or in corners and they sound great. That is what cinched it for me.

SandAndGlass and wilejoe like this.
  20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I borrowed a pair of Heresy's a few years ago. That was the thing that really bugged me. Walking around the house. As I would walk across the room the sound would change noticeably.

wilejoe likes this.
  21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

As would happen with every pair of speaker you purchased. I'd go with ceiling speakers if I wanted Muzak:D

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

Thanks I realize that the sound will change and be less then optimal but I'm just looking to get something that will work best for me in my price range.
    I now have a pair of Bose acoustimass 5 speakers so anything would be an upgrade
    I like live music the best. The good Ole Grateful Dead ,Willie, Johnny Cash and southern rock

23. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

I've got a pair of KG'3s doing duty in the garage.They certainly are up to the challenge with some Denon receiver.I've tried to kill these speakers thru hot,cold,spring,summer winter whatever.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Technically I'm a Klipsch owner since I have a pair of (mkI) Heresys, but I've never used them and only plugged them in long enough to discover that the EV tweeters are blown. I've got a spare pair of EV T35s, but haven't bothered to swap them out, and don't much care. They're not to my taste and my plan is to sell them on after repairing the tweeters and maybe give some attention to the state of the walnut veneer. I guess I'm not in much of a hurry since they've been out of the way stacked in a corner of my bedroom for almost two decades.

25. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

I used some KG 1.5's for a long time before I switched to the Rega Rs1.

gfong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.