Klipschorn newbie

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dpriebe, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpriebe

dpriebe New Member Thread Starter

I have recently lucked out and been asked to permantently "store" a set of Klipshorns for my stepfather. They are downsizing their house and don't have anymore space. I am a total Klipschorn newbie and am trying to track down more information about this set. I have done a search on the Klipsch website and have not come up with much useful information. This particular set I believe was purchased in the 60s or early 70s. They are the basic finish, aka plywood painted black. I would like to dress them up a bit (and so would my wife!). The model # is KDFR. So any good links or other sources of info about them? I'm also looking for general directions on what type of amp to use with them. Not that I have much choice at the moment, a Dynaco 70, NAD 304 or some so-called high end Onkyo receiver.
    Thanks, Dave

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Dave,

If you haven't done so already, you should go back to the Klipsch website and go to their Forum page, and then search on the "2-Channel Forum". You should be able to find more information about Klipschorns there. By the way, Klipsch speakers love vintage tube amplification, so your Dynaco 70 tube amplifier should be your best option.

Good Luck,

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

That ST-70 should provide plenty of juice to power those K-horns...

4. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

I concur. Every now and then I power my Klipsch Cornwalls with my ST-70 and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

5. dubai2000

dubai2000 New Member

The Klipsch forum is indeed full of people who are ready to help and offer opinions/suggestions etc. Hence you'll find some preferring ss amps, others (myself included) prefer tubes. In the end it's a matter of taste so let your ears decide.

BTW: Great speakers - congrats.

6. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Yup, the Klipsch 2-Channel forum is the place to be for the Klipschorn. If you have your serial numbers they will be able to identify them for you in a matter of minutes. :agree: I have never heard of the "plywood painted black....KDFR" version. If you would really like them dressed up and live anywhere near Maine, lookup a guy by the name of Greg on the 2-Channel forum. He refinishes Klipsch speakers as a hobby and does a wonderful job. He has a website showing the step by step process. Walnut Klipschorns Then, your Klipschorns will look as good as they sound. Good luck and nice score.

7. Rivendell61

Rivendell61 New Member

8. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I would agree to stay with an old style tube amp. That particular brand truly needs some warm source material otherwise you will start climbing the walls. Definitely stay away from the Onkyo or any other "entry-level" solid state amp. You don't need much power, so there is no need to go to solid state. They were really designed around a tube amp, so your ears will love you if you have a Marantz, Dynaco, or McIntosh from the 60's variety. The combination will actually end up towards the middle of the tonal balance.

9. lynnm

lynnm New Member

Could have been used in a theater.

The "D" in the model name refers to Decorator's model. The decorator style Khorn mounts the midrange and tweeter units on a flat panel above the bass unit and does not feature an enclosure for the upper unit. Otherwise they are identical to a standard Klipschorn.

Black painted Decorator models were frequently used as back of screen speakers in movie theatres. These may well have started their careers in that way.

Your ST 70 should make those puppies sing!

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Interesting site--I looked at the pages for the zebrawood Heresy pair he was reworking. He has some good veneering tips on there. I've bookmarked it for whenever I get around to refurbishing the Small Advents I have here. :)

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I think mentioning Advents in a Klipsch thread is heresy... :D

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:agree: So we've come full circle then. :D

(Can you think of two speakers that are any more opposite efficiency-wise? :laugh: )

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmm - Altec Voice of the Theatre and LS3/5A...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.