Kompleting a Kinks Kollection (Rare Odds and Ends)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DayRavies, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I have nearly everything the Kinks ever released, I'm working on filling in the tiny holes where odds and ends have been released on various rare formats. I post this thread both as a reference to people also trying to get everything (it's quicker than combing through Dave Emlen's great but overwhelming and still imperfect discography) and to see if I've overlooked anything.

I'm primarily interested in unique recordings and less so in alternate mixes or edits of the same take unless the mix or edit reveals significant differences. Also, this list assumes a collector already has obvious releases such as the new Deluxe editions, as well as old Castle/Sanctuary releases with material not repeated, Picture Book box, the Velvel RCA and Arista reissues, all MCA, Columbia, and Konk CDs, etc.

CDs:
    Did Ya EP
    -Did Ya
    -I Gotta Move (live from same source as The Road)
    -Days (newly recorded)
    -New World
    -Look Through Any Doorway
    Waterloo Sunset '94 EP
    -Elevator Man
    To the Bone 1994 UK single disc release (also available on vinyl)
    -Autumn Almanac
    -Waterloo Sunset
    Limited Edition Compilation Promo CD
    -You're Lookin' Fine (live from same source as Everybody's in Showbiz)
    Preservation: A Play in Two Acts (Rhino)
    -Money and Corruption/I Am Your Man (includes excised instrumental section)
    Backtrackin' Volume 2 (also available on vinyl)
    -Supersonic Rocketship (original ruined version)
    -Celluloid Heroes (significantly different mono mix)
    -Moving Pictures (alt. "rougher" take)
    Transmissions
    -Several live recordings from TV broadcasts/High quality bootleg.
    Live in London: 1973/1977
    -Several live concert recordings including Good Golly Miss Molly/High Q bootleg
    Down All the Days (Till 1992) (also/only available on vinyl)
    -You Really Got Me (live from same source as The Road)
    --I'm not sure if this actually exists on CD. Dave Emlen says it does, but the only CD of Down All the Days I've been able to find any info on only contains two edits of the titular track, and not You Really Got Me, though I have found info of this release as both a 7" and 12" vinyl single.

Vinyl Only:
    The Great Lost Kinks Album
    -Till Death Us Do Part
    -Pictures in the Sand
    The Kinks Greatest - Celluloid Heroes
    -Everybody's a Star (Starmaker) [faster radioplay version]
    -Sitting in My Hotel (alt. mix with less organ)
    -Here Comes Yet Another Day (unique live version)
    -several shortened edits

Am I missing anything?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

"Welcome to Kompleting a Kinks Kollection! Or . . . uh . . . KKK?

Oy. . . . that isn't good. . ."

3. DayRavies

Oops. Didn't think of that. Just following the annoying fan habit of replacing all C's with K's in Kinks related writing.

No harm meant.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

ix-nay on the ootleg-bay discussion :)

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

For vinyl I would add the bonus 10" ep that came with PRT's Dead End Street-Kinks Greatest comp. It contains some unique mixes/otherwise unreleased stuff, but I don't recall the details offhand. . .

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Has the version of Scrapheap City with Ray singing (on the US single backed by the slightly different version of with 'One of the Survivors') shown up on one of those CD issues yet? If not, that would be one to seek out.

8. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I think this is a copyright-loophole release, not an actual bootleg.

I'm not sure what criteria you're going by. The UK To the Bone might be rare in the US, but for British readers here it's probably easier to find than the American version. But off the top of my head I see that you haven't mentioned the Ray-sung single version of "Scrapheap City," and the longer edit of "Here Comes Yet Another Day" from the MFSL Everybody's in Show-Biz.

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It exists on CD. I have it.

This track is also on the UK Dave Davies Anthology: Unfinished Business.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The 1991 Japanese Complete Singles Collection 1964-1970 [Teichiku TECP-40882~3] has "You Really Got Me" with a load of added reverb. I think this may be the US single master?

This 2CD set was also released as two separate single discs - presumably the reverb drenched track is also on the "1964-1966" volume.

Not that this track is worth expending any effort to get. Still, I don't suppose it made it to CD apart from on these Teichiku sets.

Attached Files:

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Cold Turkey - "Nobody's Friend" 7" single?

12. Matthew B.

That's the fake-echo version of "You Really Got Me," available on every stereo edition of their debut album except for Rhino's — for instance, it's on the Deluxe Edition of Kinks — and also available on several compilations. As far as I know it wasn't used anywhere for the vinyl single.

People thinking of getting that Japanese Complete Singles Collection are better off with the Victor version, which isn't no-noised.

Good call, though there's a lot of controversy over that one. It's "Nobody's Fool," by the by.

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:thumbsup:

Spinning my old Castle "Kinks" album now and there it is! I wonder if I've ever listened to it before - not in living memory...

I wondered where the echo version came from - probably been told on here before but my memory's like a sieve these days :nyah:

14. Matthew B.

Shel Talmy, presumably — it's on the original UK stereo LPs. "You Really Got Me" was a one-track recording, so he opted for fake echo with reverb between the channels to give the impression of stereo.

15. DayRavies

I'm not discussing bootlegs in an illegal manner, saying where to get them, offering them, or anything that breaks any forum rules.

Transmissions and Live In London are CDs that are professionally packaged and sold by major retailers such as Amazon and CDUniverse.

The company's who make them may or may not be doing so illegally but if they are, it's a matter to be settled between them and The Kinks.

To be sure, I am only interested in discussing professionally released items available or once available by major retailers, nothing illegal.

16. DayRavies

My criteria was going by the assumption that people would obviously have sought out releases with extensive extra content, i.e. the US 2-disc To the Bone and may have possibly overlooked the fact that the single disc has two unique songs.

Here in the US, both versions are equally scarce and the UK version usually runs cheaper. Don't know why.

Besides, wasn't the 2-disc version eventually released in the UK as well? and in a slimmer case, not the fatboy like in US?

17. DayRavies

Are you sure? Dave Emlen's site says that version is from '97, recorded solo live at the Bottom Line Club.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I'm sure it's on my copy, but there's apparently a second pressing which replaces the '72 version with the '97 version.

http://www.ravingdavefans.com/anthlist.shtml

19. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I too am very unsure about the criteria for inclusion on this list, the late singles were all widely available here in the UK on release and crop up on Ebay often enough. To The Bone was a top 100 album. Not "rare" at all at least in my view, wouldn't a list of non-album tracks be better?

Off the top of my head, if you're talking about officially released songs, there's also Climb Your Wall from Unfinished Business. Do the previously unreleased songs on "The Songs of Ray Davies" CD that came with 1997's Singles Collection (The Shirt etc) count as rare?

If you are adding songs that circulate amongst fans/are available on bootlegs (and you have included live bootlegs) then you need to add Oobadiaboo, She's My Girl, Listen To Me and Darling I Respect You.

I am unsure about the criteria for "significant" differences in mixes. A few of those you list I wouldn't personally say were more significantly different than several that you have omitted, but I agree that it's all subjective.

20. xios

xios Senior Member

The 12" 1980's release of "Don't Forget To Dance" with "Bernadette" on the B side has a tarted up mix of "Bernadette" with more brass.

21. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

As with the Pye albums, I've been clearing up my Kinks collection and adding tracks which don't appear on the Koch/Velvel issues of the RCA/Arista albums or the standard later albums as extra bonus tracks on my hard drive. This is just as I've done with the earlier Deluxe Editions leading to the "Super Duper" list on the Deluxe Editions thread. Here's my "Super Duper" list for the post Deluxe albums. Any comments welcome.

The criteria for inclusion are the same as the Deluxe list, no shorter edits, BBC Radio sessions only, no unofficially released live TV or live versions..

In addition to Dayravies's list, and the tracks mentioned by R. Totale, Matthew B. and Xios there are tracks from BBC radio (on BBC Sessions and unofficially circulating), a few single A and B sides, tracks from the Picture Book boxset, the Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies compilation, the Unfinished Business compilations and a few longer versions from circulating acetates. Add in Ray Davies tracks from Absolute Beginners and an othrwise unreleased track from an unknown TV show.

EVERYONE'S IN SHOW-BIZ

Supersonic Rocketship (Original take, the first few bars accidentally cut by engineer) / Celluloid Heroes (Mono mix) From The "Backtrackin" vinyl and "Backtrackin 2" CD compilations
    Sitting In My Hotel(Alt mix), Here Comes Yet Another Day (Live) From The Kinks' Greatest - Celluloid Heroes compliation (vinyl version only)
    You're Looking Fine (live 1972) from original UK Unfinished Business pressing and US "Limited Edition" Compilation promo
    Supersonic Rocketship, Skin & Bone, Holiday, Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (BBC 5 May 1972) Peel Sessions. The first track was a rerecord of the studio track, 2&3 are on BBC Sessions

Here Comes Yet Another Day is around 3:50 on the Rhino/MFSL CDS, only 3:30 on the Velvel CD. The length of the live tracks is also shortened on the Velvel, the original 11 live tracks on the Rhino/MFSL totalling 33:50, the Velvel only 32:29.

PRESERVATION ACT 1

Sitting In The Midday Sun (Alt mix), One Of The Survivors (Alt mix, different last verse) From The Kinks' Greatest - Celluloid Heroes compliation (vinyl version only)

PRESERVATION ACT 2

Mirror Of Love (UK single mix) Available only on UK vinyl single (different from the US single mix)
    Scrapheap City(Ray Vocals)B side of US One Of The Survivors single
    Money & Corruption - I Am Your Man (Longer Version) on Rhino Preservation an Act in Two Parts CD
    Money Talks, Demolition, Mirror Of Love (BBC 6 June 1974) Peel Session, first two tracks on BBC Sessions
    The whole 14 Jul 1974 show at the Hippodrome Theatre, Golders Green was broadcast on BBC Radio 1. 6 tracks appear on BBC Sessions, the 7 others circulate/are booted

SOAP OPERA

Everybody's A Star(Starmaker)(Mono radio mix) From The Kinks' Greatest - Celluloid Heroes compliation (vinyl version only)

SLEEPWALKER

Elevator Man from the Waterloo Sunset '94 EP
    Sleepwalker (Longer second verse), Stormy Sky (Extra last verse) Acetates and Rare Anthology Vol. 1 boot
    The whole 24 Dec 1977 show from the Rainbow Theatre London was simulcast on BBC radio and TV. Get Back In The Line is on BBC sessions, 16 other tracks circulate. Boots are often from a remixed, rejigged and truncated rebroadcast.

LOW BUDGET
    Nuclear Love ,Duke. Maybe I Love You, Stolen Away Your Heart, Hidden Quality,A Gallon Of Gas (Longer mono mix)From Picture Book boxset
    Moving Picture (Alt take) From the "Backtrackin" vinyl and "Backtrackin 2" CD compilations

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

Give the People What They Want (Extra verses), Predictable (Different Ending), Destroyer(Longer fadeout), Yo-Yo (Longer Fadeout)Acetates and Rare Anthology Vol. 1 boot
    Art Lover (Alt Take) From the Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies compilation
    Entertainment/Bernadette (1981 Acetate) Entertainment may be the version eventually released on UK Jive. Bernadette may be the version released on the B side of "Don't Forget To Dance"

STATE OF CONFUSION
    Come Dancing (Demo) From Picture Book boxset
    The Shirt, My Diary From the Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies compilation
    Bernadette (Extra Verse) B side of "Don't Forget To Dance"

THE ROAD

You Really Got Me B-side of Down All The Days. Live Philadelphia 1 Jul, 1987
    I Gotta Move Did Ya EP. Live Philadelphia 1 Jul, 1987

U.K. JIVE

New World Did Ya EP
    The Million-Pound-Semi-Detached From the Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies compilation
    Now And Then (Rough mix) from Rare Anthology Vol. 2 boot

PHOBIA

Look Through Any Doorway Did Ya EP and UK Unfinished Business
    Days (1991 Version) Did Ya EP and Scattered single
    Phobia, Over The Edge, Wall Of Fire,Till The End Of The Day (BBC Jan. 7th, 1994) Return to BBC radio sessions after 20years. No Dave

TO THE BONE
    The 1994 single UK CD has two tracks Waterloo Sunset/Autumn Almanac that do not appear on the 1996/7 US/UK double CDs. Waterloo Sunset appeared on the Waterloo Sunset '94 EP.
    To The Bone (Demo) appeared as a B side on the To The Bone single and on the Picture Book boxset.
    You Really Got Me (Live)recorded 12 Aug, 1993 Philadelphia. Waterloo Sunset '94 EP.
    A Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy (Live) Recorded at unknown venue mid 90s. Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies
    All Day And All Of The Night, Waterloo Sunset, I'm Not Like Everybody Else, Till The End Of The Day, You Really Got Me (BBC 7th Oct 1994) Dave showed up for this one.

RAY SOLO TRACKS

Pre-split tracks not on "Return To Waterloo"
    Quiet Life from Absolute Beginners soundtrack
    Sitting In The Stand from unknown TV show
    Return To Waterloo (Demo) / Voices In The Dark (1997 Mix) Singles Collection/The Songs Of Ray Davies

DAVE SOLO TRACKS

Pre-split tracks not on AFL1-3603, Glamour or Chosen People
    Wild Man B-side of Imaginations Real, also UK Unfinished Business
    One Night With You B-side of US Love Gets You single
    Eternity on UK Unfinished Business
    I've Got Your Number on US Unfinished Business 2 CD version

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Regarding the 'US "Limited Edition" Compilation promo', I take it you mean the 'Borders Compilation' (Velvel VELDJ78710-2) pictured below.

[​IMG]

23. DayRavies

Actually, it's on two: the Borders compilation you've pictured which has 5 tracks, and another promo simply titled Limited Edition Compilation that has a blue cover similar to the RCA and Arista Years Box Sets outer slip cases. The blue cover version has 9 tracks.

24. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thanks for the clarification. I think I've seen that disc before in some used racks. So, reading gazebo's list, the 'Limited Edition Compilation' and 'Borders Compilation' are only needed for the 1972 live Kinks version of 'You're Looking Fine'. Correct?
    :cheers:

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Do you have any of the early recordings such as "Ooba Diooba (Ravens' acetate, Nov. 1963)"?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.