Kompleting a Kinks Kollection (Rare Odds and Ends)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DayRavies, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

There is a Techiku 1964~1967 best of CD which Joel likes. IIRC, it has the mono "YRGM."

2. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The MD35-5026 disc was done by Sounds Marketing System, actually, so it luckily doesn't have the noise reduction typical of Teichiku discs. There's also a companion disc called Lola (MD35-5027) that covers 1968 to 1970, including some Dave Davies A- and B-sides.

If I'm remembering rightly the 1964-1967 CD sounds a bit higher-generation than the 1968-1970 CD, and might have been taken from the production master for the equivalent Japanese vinyl compilation.

3. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Here's a couple of more:

I've always considered the Ray-sung "Scrapheap City" as part of Preservation Act 1, but that's just nitpicking.

For "Mirror Of Love", the US single has a different mix than the bonus track on the Preservation Act 2 CD reissue, so I've always assumed the bonus track was the UK single mix. I don't have the UK single so someone correct me if this is incorrect.

For "Starmaker", the first promo single of this with just "Starmaker" (no "Everybody's A Star") on the label has a faster mono version than the one that appeared as a bonus track on Soap Opera. This may or may not count.

The long or full version of "Low Budget" never appeared on the album or the CD reissues for some reason and in fact there are two versions of this. On the US singles, there are some call and response vocals from Ray in the middle after the "cod roes" line that are not on the UK singles. There may be other differences but this is the easiest way to tell the difference.

For the live "You Really Got Me" on the Waterloo Sunset '94 EP, is this not the same version as on "To The Bone" but with Ray's Kinks announcement from "Do It Again" tacked on to the beginning?

4. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

There are several different mixes and edits of "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman".

5. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

What is your source for lumping "The Shirt" and "My Diary" in with State of Confusion?

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Not much to add to this thread, but this could be the greatest EP ever ignored.

Jeff

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Don't know if you're interested in Ray solo, but there's a superior alternate mix of "Thanksgiving Day" on the CD single.

Also, the stray "Yours Truly #..." - solo Ray on a Jools Holland comp (also available on a different "Thanksgiving Day" single as a b-side I believe)

Jeff

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

In 2005, there was an exclusive digital download on the iTunes Store (no longer available) called Superman Re-mixed. The artwork was the same as the slip cases for the Arista/RCA Years box sets.

There were two tracks, one called a 'club remix' and the other 'Kryptonite remix', and they are unavailable anywhere else. I suppose they are canonical, as it was an official release, but I doubt the Kinks were involved. They are very strange remixes.

9. KAyen

KAyen New Member

Hi All,
    Sorry for the late response - I just discovered this forum. Anyway, I didn't see a mention of a couple of rare edits that are in my collection:
    1) "Artificial Light" - as found on a 1993 Australian CD single, Don't Forget to Dance. The edit of "Artificial Light" on this disc is about 30 seconds shorter than the one issued on the 1998 Velvel Sleepwalker remaster. And it's a significantly different mix. I'm wondering if the song was remixed for that edition of the remaster and if the version I'm mentioning here was the original B-Side mix of the "Father Christmas" vinyl single? Just a guess as I've never been able to track down that 45. Anyway, the Australian single also includes the title track - which is the same edit as found on the album, State of Confusion - and also a live version of "Stop Your Sobbing" whose source is uncredited but it sounds like it's from the 1980s-90s. But I'm not sure if it's unique to this disc.
    2) "Live Life" - as found on the original U.S. vinyl and MCA CD issues of Misfits. This edit clocks in at about 3:13 whereas the 1998 Velvel remaster album track clocks in at 4:49 and the Velvel bonus track edit of the U.S. single version clocks in at 3:47. All are considerably different from each other featuring different verses/sections that are edited in or out. I happen to like the shortest version the best as it "packs the most punch", but then it's the version I grew up listening to, so go figure.

Anyway, thanks for all the great posts - many have been very helpful in my Kinks Kollecting Kwest as well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

For some reason, I never realized that the UK Misfits had a longer mix of "Live Life". It was only when I bought the Arista SACD box that I heard the song in all its 4:49 glory. I really like the verse that's missing from the US version.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

B-side of my "Christmas" is "Prince of the Punks". Was it reissued at some point with "AL"?

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

"Prince of the Punks" is a bonus track on one of the Arista SACD/CD reissues as is "Artificial Light".

13. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Huh. Never knew this about "Artificial Light" as I've only ever had the Sleepwalker CD remaster from the late 90s where it is a bonus track. No mention of a remix there so never thought about two different mixes. After seeing this post a couple of weeks ago I decided to track down the original UK 45 where it is the B-side of "A Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy" (not "Father Christmas"). Got it today and sure enough the original 45 mix is different. The biggest difference seems to be in the vocals which are different with the CD version sounding, not surprisingly, more "produced". This is not mentioned in Doug Hinman's "You Really Got Me" book as the remastered CDs were released after this book was compiled. I don't have the Australian CD single to compare but it is likely the original 45 mix as that CD single is covered in Hinman's book and it's listed as the same 45 mix.
    Thanks KAyen for the head's up on this as I've never seen this mentioned anywhere before.

I've mentioned this before over the years in Kinks threads but I'll mention it again here for newcomers who may not know. The long version of the song "Low Budget" that appears on 7" and 12" singles are different mixes between the UK and US singles. Neither of these long versions has ever appeared on LP or CD. Hinman's book lists only one long mix but there are indeed two.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. KinksFan1992

This might be of interest to some. The content of the appendix (odds and ends of officially marketed material) to my Kinks collection consists of the following (I have edited it following the release of the deluxe Lola track list):

From Picture Book
    • Come on Now (false starts)
    • Dedicated Follower of Fashion (alt. stereo take)
    • Hidden Quality
    • Gallon of Gas (mono, extended)
    • Nuclear Love
    • Duke
    • Maybe I Love You
    • Stolen Away Your Heart
    • Better Things (shorter)
    • Come Dancing (demo)
    • Million Pound Semi-Detached
    • To the Bone (demo)
    From Kinks Mono Kollectables
    • Beautiful Delilah (alt. mono mix)
    • I'm a Lover Not a Fighter (alt. mono mix)
    • Australia (Australian single)
    • Revenge (demo) Out of This World: Instrumental Diamonds 3
    • King of the Whole Wide World (Leapy Lee, feat. the Kinks) King of the Whole Wide World/Shake Hands
    From Something Else reissues
    • Tin Soldier Man (second-pressing stereo mix) [2005 reissue]
    • Situation Vacant (second-pressing stereo mix) [2005 reissue]
    • Lazy Old Sun (mono alt. vocal) [1998 reissue]
    • Mr. Reporter Face to Face [1998 reissue]
    • Did You See His Name (stereo) BBC Sessions 1964-1977
    From Greatest Hits: Dead End Street
    • Misty Water (1983 stereo mix)
    • Pictures in the Sand (backing track)
    • Spotty Grotty Anna (mono)
    • Groovy Movies (1983 stereo mix)
    From The Great Lost Kinks Album
    • Till Death Us Do Part
    • Pictures in the Sand
    • Early Chunky Medley Then, Now and Inbetween
    • Apeman (US single) Apeman/Rats
    From Percy [1998 reissue] - not included on upcoming deluxe
    • Dreams (mono film version)
    • Moments (mono film version)
    • The Way Love Used to Be (0:58, mono film version)
    • The Way Love Used to Be (1:03, mono film version)
    From Everybody's in Show-Biz [1972 LP]
    • Here Comes Yet Another Day (extended)
    • Mike Cotton Sound introduction to 'Brainwashed'
    • John Gosling introduction to 'Holiday'
    • Muswell Hillbillies introduction to 'Muswell Hillbilly'
    • You're Looking Fine (live) Anthology: Unfinished Business
    From The Kinks' Greatest: Celluloid Heroes
    • Everybody's a Star (Starmaker) (alt. stereo mix, shorter)
    • Sitting in My Hotel (alt. mix)
    • Here Comes Yet Another Day (live)
    • Sitting in the Midday Sun (alt. mix)
    • One of the Survivors (alt. mix and edit)
    • Alcohol (live, shorter)
    • Skin and Bone (live, shorter)
    • Money & Corruption/I Am Your Man (extended) Preservation (A Play in Two Acts)
    • Scrapheap City (alt. version) One of the Survivors/Scrapheap City
    • Mirror of Love (UK single) Mirror of Love/He's Evil
    • Money Talks (single) Money Talks/Here Comes Flash
    • Elevator Man Waterloo Sunset '94 EP
    From Misfits [international LP]
    • Hay Fever (alt. edit)
    • Live Life (alt. edit)
    • Black Messiah (alt. edit)
    From (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman/Low Budget
    • (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (12" single, original mix extended)
    • Low Budget (12" single)
    • Predictable (single) Predictable/Back to Front
    • Massive Reductions (single) Better Things/Massive Reductions
    From Come Dancing/Noise [12" single]
    • Come Dancing (12" single)
    • Noise (12" single)
    • Noise (UK single) Come Dancing/Noise
    • Bernadette (single) Don't Forget to Dance/Bernadette
    • Come Dancing (US single) Come Dancing/Noise
    • Don't Forget to Dance (shorter) Waterloo Sunset: The Very Best of the Kinks & Ray Davies
    From Come Dancing with the Kinks: The Best of the Kinks 1977-1986
    • Juke Box Music (shorter)
    • Sleepwalker (shorter)
    • Catch Me Now I'm Falling (shorter)
    From Backtrackin': Volume Two
    • Supersonic Rocket Ship (original version)
    • Celluloid Heroes (mono)
    • Moving Pictures (alt. take)
    • Come Dancing (UK single)
    • How Do I Get Close (US single) How Do I Get Close/War is Over
    • You Really Got Me (live) Down All the Days (Till 1992)
    • You Really Got Me (live, the Smithereens feat. the Kinks) Attack of the Smithereens
    From To the Bone [UK album]
    • Waterloo Sunset
    • Autumn Almanac
    From Superman Re-mixed (Arista download-only release 2005)
    • (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (club remix)
    • (Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman (Kryptonite remix)

There are a few other shorter single edits, but these aren't part of my personal collection.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980, ralphk and 2 others like this.
  15. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

The US 45 of "Don't Forget to Dance" has the US Single Mix (4:15).

The Australian 45 of "Don't Forget to Dance" has the Australian Single Mix (4:35), which has less reverb on the drums.

Backtrackin', Volume Two has exclusive 1985 edits of "20th Century Man" (3:53) and "Don't Forget to Dance" (4:10) as well as the UK Single Edit of "Come Dancing" (4:00) and the Single Edit of "Do It Again" (3:59).

The Arista LP/CD of Word of Mouth has the Word of Mouth mix of "Going Solo", as one might expect. The Velvel reissues, however, have the Return to Waterloo mix, with the appropriate crossfade added at the beginning.

The MFSL Misfits LP has an exclusive edit of "Live Life" (3:47) which is longer than the North American edit (3:13), but shorter than the international edit (4:47) found on the Velvel reissues.

The Arista LP/CD of Low Budget has the Low Budget edit of "A Gallon of Gas" (2:42), as one might expect. The Velvel and MFSL reissues, however, have the longer U.S. Single Edit... twice.

The Arista 2LP/CD of Come Dancing with The Kinks has a custom 1986 edit of "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" (3:37), but forumites may prefer to hear it on Reelin' in the Years, Volume 3 due to its Steve Hoffman mastering.

The Velvel reissues of Come Dancing with The Kinks have the US Extended Edit of "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" (6:00), which is slightly different from the UK Extended Edit (5:58) easily found on the Velvel and MFSL reissues of Low Budget.

The forthcoming 2CD compilation The Essential Kinks will contain the U.S. Single Edit of "Celluloid Heroes" (4:39), edited by Ray Davies himself.

The UK 12-Inch of "Good Day" has an extended edit of the title track (5:24) and a slightly extended earlier mix of "Too Hot" (4:03).

Lost and Found (1986-89) has the LP edit of "UK Jive" (3:50), otherwise unavailable on CD. "The Road" on the same CD is the album version except that it fades out during the applause rather than seguing into the next track.

The LP version of UK Jive has shorter edits of "UK Jive" (mentioned above), "Aggravation" (4:42) and "Loony Balloon" (4:36) when compared to the CD.

Then there are the many single edits not already mentioned...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  16. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

"Black Messiah" and "Hay Fever" are the same on all copies of Misfits. There is only one version of "Hay Fever" and the remixes of "Live Life" and "Black Messiah" were originally just released on singles, and are both of the Velvel reissues of Misfits. However, you are correct that North American and international copies do have different edits of "Live Life". As I pointed out above, the MFSL contains a third edit of the same original mix. The other notable difference between North American and international copies is the sequencing of the tracks. The MFSL uses the international sequence. The Arista CD uses the North American sequencing and uses the North American edit of "Live Life".

17. KinksFan1992

Are you sure about that?

On my Misfits LP (with the international sequence) I have the following:

Hay Fever (3:17 as opposed to 3:34 on the CD album)
    Live Life (3:06 as opposed to 4:49 on the CD album and 3:49 on the single/bonus)
    Black Messiah (3:22 as opposed to 4:10 on the CD album and 3:38 on the single/bonus)

I'll have to double-check my digital copies to check that I haven't chopped anything off, but I don't think I have.

18. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Wow. There are two more alternate versions that Doug Hinman did not note in his book You Really Got Me: An Illustrated World Discography of The Kinks, 1964-1993 and which Dave Emlen did not note on his website kindakinks.net. "Hay Fever" does indeed fade ten seconds earlier on U.S. copies (Arista LP or CD, the latter of which runs for 3:23) and "Black Messiah" is edited on North American copies (Arista LP or CD) compared to international LP copies or the Velvel reissues. Furthermore, the MFSL uses the North American version of "Hay Fever" but also the international version of "Black Messiah". Another thing that I believe that Hinman and Emlen got wrong: the MFSL version of "Live Life" sounds exactly the same as the U.S. Single Remix Edit as opposed to a unique edit of the original mix like they reported. Thanks so much for alerting me to yet more Kinks variations and please do let me know if you detect any more errors as I am finally kompiling the different versions on a CD-R set I am calling Juke Box Music 1971-1996. It is currently five discs and I haven't begun needle-dropping yet.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Kenny D and Hep Alien like this.
  19. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I listened to "Live Life" again, to compare the US Single Mix with the version on the 1981 MFSL LP of Misfits. They are the same mix and are edited the same way, making them virtually identical. The difference is just that the MFSL fades out about a second later. I checked kindakinks.net, and Dave Emlen did describe correctly it as the "stereo single mix, slightly longer." It was just Doug Hinman that got it wrong in his 1993 book, although he probably realized that many years ago.

Also, the edit in the North American "Black Messiah" LP track is jarring, occurring before the last line in a verse and jumping near the end of the next verse. I don't like it or the single remix and its added reverb and missing last few lines.

OK, here's another mix variation that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, although it has been mentioned in another thread by another poster. Before "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" had its subtitle or its synth overdubs, it was released as a 7-inch single and a 12-inch disco single (short and long edits) under the name "Superman". To hear these versions, one must hunt the first pressings from the UK as they have never been reissued on any format.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Kenny D likes this.
  20. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I just checked and the so-called "US Album Edit" of "Live Life" available as a bonus track on the hi-res download of Misfits available via HDTracks is actually the US Single Remix. The running time is listed as 3:47 whereas the the US Album edit (also available on various singles worldwide prior to the release of the remix) is about 3:06 and the international edit (also included on the hi-res download) is about 4:49. Both of the versions on the HDTracks download were already on the Velvel SACD; it was only the US Album Edit that wasn't.

Kenny D likes this.
  21. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Here's another one that hasn't been mentioned as far as I know:

"Village Green" (Alt Vocal Rough Mix) this one was allegedly taken from the a-side of an acetate, whereas the No Strings Version on The Village Green Preservation Society 3CD Deluxe Edition corresponds to the b-side of the same acetate. This one has never been released but a lossless needledrop does circulate among naughty kollektors.

Kenny D likes this.
  22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

This is an amazing list, I've been working on my Kinks Kollection, looks like there is a ton of stuff yet for me to find. I wanted to ask a question, I have searched this forum and the internet and can't find an answer, I'm hoping someone here will know. I recieved the deluxe edition of Muswell Hillbillies yesterday, and on the back the track listing goes to 14, but there is no track 11. It was driving me nuts at first as there are 13 songs on the disc and the track list goes to 14. Is this an error by the manufacturer? I have checked allmusic and wikipedia and there is supposed to only be 13 songs on the second disc, but I don't know why it goes to 14. If this is an error is it on all copies, or just certain ones? Thanks in advance for the info.

Actually yesterday I recieved the deluxe editions of The Kink Kontroversy, Face To Face, Something Else, and Arthur. On Monday I recieved the 3 disc deluxe edition VGPS set, and I got the deluxe Lola on it's release day. The only 2 deluxe versions I had were of the first two albums, now I have all of them, so I have quite a Kool Kinks listening marathon ahead of me in the coming days. :righton:

Most of the sets were only around 12-15 dollars new on Amazon, I thought they would be much higher. The VGPS set did cost $50, and Muswell Hillbillies cost $40, but the VGPS set is worth every penny and I can live with the price of MH, since I got the others so cheap. I actually ordered CSNY 1974 box set to keep me busy as I didn't expect the Kinks sets to get here this quick. Now I have quite a back log of music to listen to.

Again, any info on the MH set would be appreciated.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

It would appear to be just an error by the manufacturer. My copy is the same way. Maybe a track was deleted at the last minute and the graphic designer forgot to renumber. Most Kinks reissues have defects of one type or another. I find it quite endearing. I have never heard about any specific track being dropped from a proposed list, though.

24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

My copy as well omits track 11 on book and back cover....think it's a UNIVERSAL issue....do not know if QC fixed new printings?

ccbarr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.