Kraftwerk 3D - release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I'll bite as long as the blu-ray picture quality is good. Gotta say that the dvd Minimum Maximum looked very grainy and 2nd rate in parts especially for so called electronic pioneers!

SteveM and Billy Infinity like this.
  2. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

The negativity in this thread for something that hasn't been released and no one is forced to buy is very discouraging.

QQQ, shantysnowman and D.H. like this.
  3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Still a Month until release, so plenty of time to compose oneself and consider the options with a clear head = Logical oder Logische

Not looking forward to the inner turmoil this is now going to create over the next few weeks as I try to decide
    between just the (cd) languages, for those also having to consider the various formats :D

shantysnowman and Dave 81828384 like this.
  4. Dave 81828384

Thanks for that. I needed a laugh. :laugh:

Mbe likes this.
  5. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

As a Kraftwerk fan since the early 70's I am amazed that people are prepared to buy more and more versions of the same music or slight variations. personally I don't find the inclusion of laser shows any more attractive. In a live situation it is exciting in a Cirque De Soleil kind of way but to watch at home is boring for me after the first five minutes.
    This is not meant as a criticism of people in this forum or other people's views. Just my thoughts when reading comments in this thread

SteveM and Yost like this.
  6. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I'm all over this, ordered the 4 blu-ray set with the deluxe book. I don't care to listen to a 3-D concert in the car, I'm in front of the TV set with the glasses on.

According to SDE, the shows are taken from concerts in "MoMA (New York), The Tate Modern Turbine Hall (London), Akasaka Blitz (Tokyo), Opera House (Sydney), Norske Opera (Oslo), Paradiso (Amsterdam), Fondation Louis Vuitton (Paris) and Neue National Galerie (Berlin)", so I would assume they are in English. Does anyone know otherwise?

Therefore, I would think that the difference in the 'The Catalogue" release and the 'Der Katalog" release would be in the text in the accompanying literature. Also, just a theory.

Not sure why people are comparing this to other releases, all of this is previously unreleased live material.

If you're a Kraftwerk fan, you need this in one form or another. If not, then why are you reading this thread?

7. Dave 81828384

With respect, have a listen to the new version of The Robots. I think its more than a slight variation. You may not.

albertop and Kim Olesen like this.
  8. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I will be happy to be proven wrong. But my understanding is that this release is not out yet so where can I listen to it?

9. Dave 81828384

I found it on Tidal and someone else said its on Spotify.

10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Berlin seems like a great place to play and record German versions.

The original The Catalogue and Der Katalog were the English and the German versions respectively. Where applicable of course.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  11. mikaal

When you pre-order from say Amazon UK do they take the full price from your card immediately or at release date?

12. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Release date.

mikaal likes this.
  13. mikaal

Thanks Kim.
    About to "click" for the blu ray box.

14. Dave 81828384

It should be when its released. However, I had a weird experience ordering from amazon in Italy. I wanted to change my pre-order of a movie from a credit card to a debit card (or vice versa, can't remember which) and was told I would be billed immediately. That has never happened to me ordering from Amazon UK.

15. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

IMO the value is in the 5.1 mixes and maybe in the 3d show.
    I really enjoyed Minimum-Maximum and I'd like to hear the full catalogue rivisited with a similar treatment. I know very well their discography and I found their so-called live performances quite refreshing.

Michael D, Runicen and Dave 81828384 like this.
  16. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Really surprising to see the a significant portion of this thread contains jabs at the "live" factor of Kraftwerk's concert performances. I honestly thought that people had moved on from the "checking the emails" jokes that have been going on for the last 10-15 years.

There's no question in my mind that these performances are live. I'll contend that in many cases individual notes are not being played out on a keyboard, but the idea of utilising the "studio as an instrument" has been around for the last 40 odd years. Around the turn of the century the technology caught up with Kraftwerk's vision, and as a result they were able to make their "studio" portable and an integral part of their live performance.

I see similarities between Kraftwerk's philosophy of performance, and that of dub-reggae in the 70s. The idea that a pre-recorded piece can be stripped down and transformed into something unique using audio effects and sonic manipulation. Anyone who has a passing familiarity with synthesisers knows that a significant factor of their use as instruments comes from turning dials and sliders to manipulate and evolve the sound. Many famous synthesists (outside of the rock arena) are not great players, but great arrangers who know how to get the most out of their gear.

QQQ, shantysnowman, reapers and 11 others like this.
  17. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Your assumption is incorrect. Kraftwerk play live every time. Even a cursory listen to more than one show would demonstrate clear differences in performance, not just mix, from one gig to the next.

QQQ, shantysnowman, fRa and 6 others like this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've been going back & forth on the Sgt Pepper set: nice to have, sure, but I struggle to see it justifying its price tag in my personal rotation. Moreover, I figure that there's no way that the Beatles boxed set will sell out at launch, whereas the Kraftwerk may well. (Although I note that the numbered limited edition of The Catalogue from 2012 still seems to be in print, so maybe no hurry on either of these ...)

I'm not the biggest Kraftwerk fan but this Blu-Ray set is so much in my wheelhouse that I think it has to be the mandatory purchase. The decision on Sgt Pepper will have to wait for the eleventh hour.

calgary669 and azjvm05 like this.
  19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

jpc.de list all versions of this release once as "Der Katalog" and once as "The Catalogue", so it seems that as usual everything will be available in both languages.

Kraftwerk: 3-d Der Katalog – CDs, Noten, Bücher und mehr – jpc.de

Kraftwerk: 3-d The Catalogue – CDs, Noten, DVDs und mehr – jpc.de

Dave 81828384 and Yost like this.
  20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This looks good, but also not good- I was at the Tate Modern show for The Mix, and it was wonderful. But I'm torn between wanting to get their actual albums (which I don't have on physical format at all) and getting the DVD/ Blu-Ray set. Truly a first world problem.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  21. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I'm glad I'm not a Kraftwerk completist. Imagine having to buy all these releases in two languages.

Yost likes this.
  22. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

buy the recent re-issued LPs - they are pretty cheap here and the sound is excellent.

negative1 and LivingForever like this.
  23. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yeah, I'll settle for the abridged concert film, and get those new reissues. Everybody wins!

shantysnowman and SteveM like this.
  24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

[​IMG]I hope the Blu Ray recreates the amazing 3D atmosphere I remember from last time I saw KW.

25. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Pre-ordered the 8 CD version of 3-D Der Katalog from Amazon.de. Hope it's a German vocal version, but I guess it's just the packaging that differs from 3-D The Catalogue. In any way, I'm very much looking forward to this! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.