Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Try harder.

Look Deeper.

Merge Your Digital Polemic "Us vs. Them" World View with Your Human Analog World View.

"Like I said, "I'm not sure what any of this means, but I have a feeling it ends with a tinfoil hat."

2. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

To people who watch Austin City Limits :p;)

DRM likes this.
  3. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

You can certainly not fault the Beatles for wanting to be like Elvis. :hide:

DRM likes this.
  4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The thing is most artists/bands doing electronic music can rightfully be said to have been directly or indirectly influenced by Kraftwerk.

The influence of the Beatles is, on the other hand, is for better or worst, almost impossible to measure other than through the testimony of musicians.

DTK likes this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Overall, a fantastic album, one that fits into a nice little grouping with 'McCartney 2', 'Scoop 3' and 'Law and Order'. I was listening to 'Sample and Hold' yesterday, and it gave me chills down my spine.

DRM likes this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Re value judgments, first off, there are no facts about them besides the fact that people have them. "It's a fact that John feels that Pete Best is the best drummer ever."

When we're talking about whether someone has been more influential, if we're going to talk about it so that it correlates to anything objective, where we could have any sort of debate about it, we need to talk about how many people have been influenced by the artist in question. That is objective, and we can know whether someone has been influenced by knowing certain facts about the artist who was supposedly influenced and their music.

gotblues likes this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Enough said.

"Dorothy, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

8. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Is this a thread?

beccabear67 likes this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Fortunately, they had a lot of American influences. Like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard. Also Fats Domino.

"What about the Searchers? THEY weren't Americans."

Sadly, no.

Just kidding!

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

My advice.

"Start from the very beginning.

It's a very good place to start."

andrewskyDE and Brother Maynard like this.
  11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

did you mean to quote me? I don't think I've said anything here or elsewhere that would lead to the conclusion that I embody this--because I really don't.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Influenced by Kraftwerk:

Amazon.com: Computer Age: Neil Young: MP3 Downloads

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, regarding this:

footlooseman said:
    Beatles=analog world
    Kraftwerk=digital world
    Humans>robots
    World=change
    History=rewritten
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Drasil said: I'm not sure what any of this means, but I have a feeling it ends with a tinfoil hat.

14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

DRM likes this.
  15. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I don't follow. (I deleted that post, though.)

DRM likes this.
  16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I think there's been some deletions...

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes...

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my view no one can rightfully be said to have been indirectly influenced by anyone.

You need testimony in all cases.

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What current artists do you think sound like the Beatles?

20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Let me think about this. If there's still a determination to NOT sound like the Beatles.

And remember, I was responding to a certain quote...if you jump back to the quote I was responding to...

21. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I deleted that after you posted because because I don't wish to imply whatsoever that I have a 'digital polemic' or any other kind of polemic, for that matter.

I'm still not sure how my joke did so, though... if that's where the idea came from.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is an interesting question; at the moment, some of the biggest 'rock groups' are 'Coldplay', 'Tame Impala', 'Arctic Monkeys' and 'Foo Fighters', all of whom have either mentioned the Fabs as an influence, or have shown Beatlesque sounds or touches at times (with Coldplay basically sampling some of 'It's Only Love' last year on 'Adventure Of A Lifetime').

When I listen to the likes of Kanye, Sheeran, Bieber, Gaga, Katy Perry, Cyrus, Swift, etc, I cannot hear much of the Fabs or Kraftwerk for that matter, but I know that the Beatles have inspired most of the people that I just listed, and I assume that Kraftwerk have as well.

I started a 'covers of every Beatles' song thread a few years ago, and it always interests me to see acts like Miley Cyrus cover songs like 'Lucy In The Sky', or even Bieber sing 'Let It Be' at a New Years concert, or to hear Ed praise the Beatles and say what a thrill it was to be able to introduce Paul to his Father.

In other words, the influence isn't always heard in the music. A case in point; I love 'Coming Up' by McCartney and I love the Talking Heads. Paul loved the Heads and was inspired by them when writing the 'McCartney 2' album. Despite that, no-one that I have played 'Coming Up' to have said that it sounds like the Heads, even after I have mentioned Paul liking the group.

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Tame Impala is obsessed with John Lennon I would imagine, but I guess that's meaningless as most Beatles fans on this thread won't have heard of them.

e.s., DRM and theMess like this.
  24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:-popcorn: So, what's the score so far?

25. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.