Kraftwerk More Influential Than the Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamo spingal, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

nevermind the..?

2. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I love the Beatles (and Hey Jude) too.. but just to point out that most pop music (electronic or not) is repetitive and fairly basic.

RickH, jon9091 and Vinyl Socks like this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There were others, and Kraftwerk certainly didn't live in a vacuum, but what is interesting is how they introduced more of a European classical tradition to popular music that had been dominated by the 'blues' up to that point. The other German bands as well but Kraftwerk were by far the most prominent.

So then you had Bowie and Eno exploring those areas, a whole host of new electronic bands, the Punk bands incorporating those textures either via Bowie or direct from Kraftwerk (Ian Curtis was a huge fan and you can hear that cold metallic influence) and of course the early Hip-Hop/Electro scene which brilliantly melded James Brown's funk and Kratwerk's European sounds. From there really springs all the most interesting and best music of the last 35 years and nearly all modern pop music.

e.s., marmalade166, Echo and 2 others like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Actually, not it absolutely is necessary. I say that because, in may nearly six decades on this earth, it flat amazes me how corporate powers that be can convince new generations that what they themselves want is cutting edge and new or what have you, ever reducing people's ownership of their art and expression.

One day, if you're able to remove yourself to the country and isolate yourself from omnipresent electronic media and cleanse, you might begin to understand what I'm saying. I won't hold my breath.

Hardly. By relying on electronics they betray themselves as what they are -- corporate wannabes.

What you're saying is they cannot play musical instruments. How is that being an outsider? Most people can't. What you're saying is they are producing a simulacrum of music. By definition that is a corporate-friendly product. The fact they are "outsiders" simply means they haven't yet found a profitable sales channel. By using the means you've outlined, they indicate fascist allegiance, albeit unsuccessfully.

Tedham likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Good lord, I don't think there is one sentence there that makes any sense. I hope you are being ironic.

Just for your information, the Beatles also relied pretty heavily on electronics.

Steve M., BeauZooka, Uther and 10 others like this.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm glad we finally entered the stage of nonsense I predicted for this thread.

Are you saying that Kraftwerk turned to electronic music because they can't play "musical instruments"?

Steve M., Andrew J, Uther and 4 others like this.
  7. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

Oh, good effort chief! Wish our national footy team had your balls.

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I, along with Afrika Bambaataa, always liked this song:

"Trans Europa Express" - Kraftwerk.

9. Thatfabulousalien

Thatfabulousalien Well-Known Member

I don't know but they where certainly influential and not to just electronic music

10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Die Beatles had more influence on me than any other band, but I could easily believe that Kraftwerk music has more influence on today's music.

Regards

e.s., shaboo and wolfram like this.
  11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well when the aliens come to complain there was no Beatles on the Voyager Golden Record, we'll be spared, as we like music made by robots. So in the future Kratwerk will not only be responsible for the human race's survival but Planet Rock.

12. drasil

drasil Former Resident

thanks for clearly and fairly articulating what it seems many cannot.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    e.s., DrZhivago, shaboo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know who Kraftwerk is. I'm not familiar with those kinds of music.

14. EdogawaRampo

For my information? I know. There is substantial evidence to suggest there was no actual guitar playing by any member of the band after Rubber Soul / We Can Work It Out b/w Day Tripper. EMI was very ahead of the time and if you think the ENIAC girls working with EMI weren't dyed-in-the-wool Beatles fans, then yes, you might think electronics played no part in The Beatles legacy, skiffle, or the 'werk' of Kraftwerk on the modern tone bereft mind.

You might diss them for their advanced years, but The Beatles gave the ENIAC girls adrenal vim and a new direction by dint of the base chakral charge seeing the lads inspired in them, giving us all the benefit of looping today. For that I think we can all be grateful.

[​IMG]

15. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I sing "We Are The Robots" randomly in public places, usually quietly and just for nearby friends.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Todays electronic pop music. Modern pop is all genres. Harry Styles for example on his new album there is a lot of Beatles influence. Lady GaGa loves Lennon. Miley covered them. etc etc. Then there are the modern psych bands such as Tame Impala.

17. EdogawaRampo

Gawd, no. I'm saying electronic music wannabes turned to Kraftwerk because its practitioners could not play electronic instruments and loop not good.

A lot of people don't know this, but the late Farrah Fawcett was an early promotor of Kraftwerk. I distinctly remember a Creem headline that read "Farah Say Kraftwerk Loop Good, Other Bad."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  18. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I'm going to assume you're writing from a position of accidental, rather than wilful ignorance.

Many of the people I mentioned wanted, as you put it, to have ownership of their art and expression.

They didn't have access to music schools, or to recording studios, or to record company advances.

They bought what they could - secondhand, discarded technology like the Roland TB303 or TR808: stuff available on HP, and a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder. They recorded in their bedrooms, or in a garage. They made music. They're outsiders because they worked (and continue to work) outside of the major label structure which still dominates the industry.

Their music is not corporate-friendly, but it has found an audience. If you think it's just a simulacrum, it's just your loss.

19. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I don't know, but I kind of like that band. ;)

DRM likes this.
  20. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

Well I guess that settles it--Kraftwerk are bigger than Jesus!

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Are you interested in finding out and potentially broadening your horizons to 'those kinds of music'? Plenty here will be able to point you to places that will support the statement in the thread title.

Binni, Blank Frank and Echo like this.
  22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my opinion influence isn't transitive, and the influence needs to be identifiable in someone's music for it to be an influence. Since influence isn't transitive, the only way that A can influence B is by B being a big enough fan of A that B tries to emulate an aspect of A's work, or by B being exposed to A to an extent where B has internalized some aspects of A's work, so that it now comes through in their own work.

That's why I had asked if that many EDM, hip-hop, etc. artists are really big Kraftwerk fans, because if they're not, they're not actually influenced by Kraftwerk. They might be influenced by someone who was influenced by Kraftwerk, but that's not being influenced by Kraftwerk. Influence isn't transitive (otherwise we'd need to say that someone like Hildegard of Bingen is the most influential musical artist).

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Smiths Radiohead Blur Nirvana et al - all influenced by the fabs to some extent

theMess likes this.
  24. moops

moops Senior Member

For those in this thread who are unfamiliar with Kraftwerk, here they are arriving in America ....

[​IMG]

25. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.