Kraftwerk's Die Mensch-Maschine

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SpookyGriff, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyGriff

SpookyGriff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kraftwerk's seventh studio album and a personal favorite of mine, this record is a treat. There are so many interesting themes, ideas, and fragments of the culture from which it came.

Kraftwerk obviously need no introduction, and this album contains many of the tracks that most people would associate the group with - the title track being Die Roboter.

Original German is the only way to go :righton:

Discuss this classic here - its influence, its production, and everything in between.

Maurice, kevintomb, JAuz and 4 others like this.
  2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Probably my favourite Kraftwerk album. :)

I've actually never heard the original German version, though... :hide:

3. SpookyGriff

Give it a shot! It's pretty rad.

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My introduction to Kraftwerk was "Radio-Aktivität" as a kid, but "Die Mensch-Maschine" was my first love when it comes to their albums. I was totally fascinated by the futuristic feel and it's still my favourite Kraftwerk album. Apart from the hits, I nowadays enjoy "Spacelab" and "Neon Licht" the most.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  5. wolfram

Korrekt!

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Still looking for a decent copy of the German version on vinyl, but yeah - this along side Computerwelt & Trans Europa Express are actually my favorites. IMO the only misstep in their "classic" years was Radio-Aktivitat.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Regarding the German vs English versions - is it only the vocals that are different?
    Or are the songs differently mixed and/or recorded (as with Peter Gabriel's German versions.)

8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I see Radio-Activitat as a bit of a transitional album, but I don't think it's any kind of "misstep" at all.

9. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

German version is my preference, too (and is one of my favorite Kraftwerk albums...might be my favorite). The production is fantastic; particularly the sound and texture of the synths.

10. wolfram

No, me neither. It's darker and more experimental than the others, but it's still a great album. I love it a lot, especially late at night. Though it really spooked me out when I was a kid and my brother made me listen to "Die Stimme der Energie" in the dark. :yikes:

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are there CDs of the German issues in good quality - I seem to remember reading that titles were not released in the format with good mastering. Or was that the English versions?

12. SpookyGriff

The 2009 remasters are, to my ear (and many others) very faithful and pleasing to the original sound, and should be readily available in both English and German languages (I think)

13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I drastically prefer the 80's AAD CDs to the '09 remasters. The remasters are unnecessarily compressed and in an attempt to modernize the sound and even it out among the albums they futzed way too much with the EQ. Computerwelt is almost unlistenable (the '09 remaster) between the pumped-up bass and compression.

RocketUSA, hutlock, 93curr and 3 others like this.
  14. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Well I do own a German Target CD of "Computer World" (the German language version) and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have a couple of the remasters but never thought there was a problem with the old 80s U.S. CDs. The old ones take more effort to find now of course. Years ago I used to shop at store that had all the German language versions of the albums...I regret not buying all those. Might track them down at a later date.

rxcory likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This was my first Kraftwerk album too. Even though I prefer "TEE". Think the difference between the stark, European b/w soundscapes of that album and the colorful, scifi sonics of "Mensch Maschine" is fascinating.

And I'm covinced Giorgio Moroder was responsible for turning on the "Neon Lights", "I Feel Love" came out in 1977;)

The transition to the dynamic, hyperrealistic (and as it turned out prophetic) "Computer Welt" is also amazing. My three favourite Kraftwerk albums.

17. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I tried to find Kraftwerk vinyl records in Berlin about 15 years ago, and they really didn't have any. Kraftwerk is probably still hard to find in most record stores the world over, U.S.A. included.

18. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Hmm...I quite like my CD. It indicates that it is 'Made in Holland;' as far as I know the mastering is the same as the original German release. Note that this disc appears to have pre-emphasis, even though it isn't in the TOC.

19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It's not difficult to pick up the German language lp's on Discogs or eBay.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If you can find them, the promo remasters issued in 2004 generally sound better than the standard 2009 remasters, which suffer from too much compression and noise reduction, and sometimes editing errors.

The 2004 masterings seem to have been used for the recent vinyl reissues (at least that's the case for The Man-Machine).

More info on this useful link: http://5-against-4.blogspot.fr/2009/11/kraftwerk-remastered-retrospective.html

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Fleamarkets and record fairs are the way to go. "Mensch Maschine", "Computerwelt", "Autobahn" and "Radio Aktivität" show up quite frequently and usually between ten and twenty Euros. So does "TEE" but if you want it complete with poster you probably need luck or 30 Euros;) ."Kraftwerk" and "Kraftwerk 2" come up from time to time but no longer cheap, in fact their price is on a continous rise. What was once 25 to 50 Deutsch Marks is now 40 - 50 Euros. The album I see least - as official pressing - is "Ralf & Florian".

22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Oh my. Just got into these guys not too long ago. Really dig this one, but I keep going back to Computer World and Trans Europe Express lately.

23. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

This was the first album I ever bought. It was also the only album I ever bought on music cassette. I was 11 years old.
    I still like the album a lot, it's my favourite Kraftwerk album.

24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Fantastic album. For me it marks the start of the Man Machine, Computerwelt, Electric Cafe run, which i find to be the highlight of their discography. (Electric Cafe being a very underrated album imo)

Fave, for me, will always be Computerwelt. It is also the one album that is not just better in German but MUCH better in German. The mix is better, and the humor got lost in translation.

Cowboy Kim and Front 242 Addict like this.
  25. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Radio-Aktivität is one of my favorite kraftwerk albums and their first album I knew and bought.

I would love to put Die Stimme der Energie over and over again in my work LOL

The Keymaster, cc-- and wolfram like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.