Kubala-Sosna and other Expensive cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dcathro, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steve,

Just wondering, how did you come across the Kubala-Sosna wire? It seems pretty esoteric. Have you tried many different brands of cable? What are the qualities that make them special compared to others? There are just so many brands of cable available and many of them are really expensive, that I just picked the nearest thing that seemed to work.

Best Regards

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

David,

Cable makers send me stuff to try out all of the time. Some I like, some change the sound too much for my studio needs. I met Joe Kubala of Kubala-Sosna at a trade show in Denver, CO last October. He was introduced to me by someone that I was talking to in the hallway (I've actually forgotten who..) He seemed like a nice guy and we talked about the funny Audiophile industry and the ups and downs of being in the biz. He mentioned that he wanted Kubala-Sosna to get in to studio wiring. I gave him my card and told him to look me up if he was ever in town. Well, a few months later he called me up, said he was in LA and could we get together for a pizza? Sure. He was just a long way from home and wanted someone to shoot the breeze with for a while. After dinner we talked about mixing and mastering challenges and I showed him my mastering studio. I listened to some of his wire and it sounded perfect for my studio needs; neutral but still very musical; the ideal studio wiring.

I arranged for Kubala-Sosna to re-wire my studio.

Kubala-Sosna replaced all the wiring in my Ampex tape recorder units, my Massenberg GML EQ, my Klark-Teknik room EQ, my Tascam recorder, Ampex microphone mixers, echo unit, tubed LA-2A compressor/limiter, digital recorders etc. They reworked my 24 channel Behrenger mixing console, upgrading the standard wire and did the same for all of my studio power supplies. Then they furnished me with a new pair of Tetra 505 LTD studio monitors by courtesy of Adrian Butts of Tetra, Canada. KS replaced all power cords in all gear and all external wiring with their top of the line Emotion grade wiring.

Upgrading studio wiring helps me do my job. It's a worthwhile investment.

3. dcathro

Thanks Steve,

Wow that is one hell of a rewiring job! You must have noticed a big change.

I rewired most of my equipment with 1mm sold core silver some years ago, and that made a big improvement over the cheap wire used by most manufacturers.

I'm currently using Wireworld Eclipse for interconnects and Speaker cables, and it seems pretty good. Previous to that I was using VDH which was also OK although not as high res as my current cables. It is interesting that most mastering engineers don't believe that cables have any effect on sound. I wouldn't mind trying the Kubala-Sosna, but I don't think it's available in this neck of the woods (UK).

Best Regards

4. Steve Hoffman

I think most studio engineers would be astounded at the change in the sound of their rooms with upgraded wiring. I don't think that many engineers even think of it. Certainly not the studio builders. I'm sure Kubala-Sosna wants to change that way of thinking.

David,

I like your website design.

5. dcathro

Hi Steve,

I have been in a few arguments with other mastering engineers about what is audible and what is not. In fact to mention cables on the mastering forums is to invite ridicule. I wish Kubala-Sosna luck. Many people let their belief systems get in the way of their ears.

Thanks Steve.

Best Regards

David

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Steve, are your interconnects and speaker cables still Grovers? Just curious.

7. Steve Hoffman

All upstairs studio wiring is by Kubala-Sosna research. All wire in downstairs listening system is by Grover Huffman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.