Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett reveal details about their new joint album"Lotta Sea Lice" (10/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A nice record. Honestly, I can't say that it's actually better than any individual Kurt or Courtney album. But as a big fan of both artists, it certainly doesn't disappoint. Overall, it seems like Kurt's style is a more dominant force in the songwriting, but Courtney still brings her genius to the table. It's all good, man.

To those that are new to Mr. Vile: you can't go wrong with his previous three albums. All are wonderful. His earlier stuff is more punk and lo-fi, but is pretty great too.

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sorry to deviate (but other threads are closed) was looking to get feedback of the quality of Kurt's vinyl releases. I have read more than enough complaints about warped copies and just flat over all sound. I started to buy "Walkin' On A Pretty Daze" on vinyl yesterday and stopped after all of the warped reviews on other sites...

Am I better just to stick with the CD format on his solo stuff, or can another member give more feedback and thanks.

3. notesofachord

The mastering is somewhat loud on his LPs, but the quality control seems pretty good.

...not as loud as the digital/CD versions, mind you.

scotti likes this.
  4. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

scotti likes this.
  5. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

Finally got around to listening to this; it's been a busy couple of weeks here.

This is a fantastic album. Kurt Vile is as great as ever; this album fits really well next to b'lieve i'm going down. I know very little of Courtney Barnett, but I'll definitely see if I can pick up Sometimes I Sit and Think... in the near future. Favorite tracks are Fear is Like A Forest (which I think has also been performed by Barnett's wife Jen Cloher?) and Outta the Woodwork.

JoeRockhead, gkella and scotti like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is just a suggestion on Courtney's albums, you might be better to start with "A Sea of Split Peas" first as this one is a little more raw so to speak (more loose jams, features Outta the Woodwork) and equally as good if not better than 'Sometimes" all though that is a great album as well...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Tlaloc likes this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks very kind of you and another good example on how this forum can be very helpful to all of us music fans! Bought the CD of Walkin' yesterday and will order the vinyl of B'lieve this weekend...buying them both unheard, based on these great posts from other members...Smoke Ring will be next if these two sound as expected.

tstrapac likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Just an info post...the download included with the LP is for either FLAC or MP3 files.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I saw them play Seattle last night from the 3rd row. Great show. The album songs are really coming together the more they play them, and the guitar interplay between Courtney and Kurt is being elevated. I was blown away by Courtney's rhythm guitar playing...she is next level. My wife and I both agreed that she (and Janet Weiss) stole the show, and that's taking nothing from Kurt or the rest of the band. My wife has been lukewarm on Courtney Barnett, but that changed last night.

They opened the encore with a cover of Gillian Welch's "Elvis Presley Blues", which was very cool since we saw Gillian perform the same song on the same stage last week!

10. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I liked the single . ..they are both like walking definitions of Hipster! but they're talented.
    Come on, no one else finds those lazy, tired, Dylan-esue vocals, like, real put-on? A little?

11. notesofachord

You mean "talk-singing"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a put-on even why Bob Dylan did it. People like the style (me included), especially when there's good songwriting behind it.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Nope.

13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Nah. But keep trying.

14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

notesofachord likes this.
  15. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Off-topic but I suggest everyone who enjoys this latest CBKV release to check out Jen Cloher's latest albums. Courtney (and her band) played on her latest, and the one before that is, to these ears, flawless. Wonderful playing, awesome songs and produced with the perfect blend of creamy country and edgy attitude!

16. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile live

17. mds

mds Forum Resident

Very surprised at how well they go together. Their harmonies, playing style. Real chemistry going. This is going to get a lot of play.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Hey listen . . . I liked this when it came out (the single) and then that live performance above, yessir . . . I'm over my intial impression, this is good and these two are really good, just had to listen a bit more, apologize

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, it's a grower, and it's a "modest" album -- heck, when you take out the covers, it's really an EP. If you're a Courtney fan, don't go into it expecting her Second Big Album -- this ain't it. But it's quite a nice listen anyway, and I came into it knowing nothing about Kurt Vile, and he's growing on me.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. mds

mds Forum Resident

Wow, I just listen to Taj Mahal's first album, only one original song, the rest covers. Does this mean its not even a 45?

21. Sean Murdock

Sorry, I wasn't trying to malign covers -- what I meant was, they only specifically wrote a handful of songs for this release. It's all legitimate! :thumbsup:

If this helps you forgive me, I'll let everyone know that Courtney and Kurt are scheduled to appear on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert tonight.

notesofachord, Rupe33 and mds like this.
  22. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I REALLY like the live performance, I've been listening to it on a boombox for days and it sounds great

23. Sean Murdock

Wow, that Pitchfork Live performance sounds amazing! Great job recording and mixing it -- I'll be ripping that audio for sure...

24. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Can anyone explain the title of the album to me? I don't get it. Am I being dense?

25. Sean Murdock

I didn't get it either, but it was explained in an interview somewhere. I forget the exact specifics, but "sea lice" ae a real thing, and after someone (band member?) told a story about them too many times, the phrase stuck. I would have picked something different, myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.