La La Land--the return of the musical

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Boy, has this garnered a buzz.
    It played here at the Film Fest and I don't know when I read a reviewer gush so much.
    He said one thing that really works is their chemistry--they've been together on screen before and there is a casual charm to the whole project. I think this is a must-see-in-the-theater for us.

La La Land | Facebook »

MikaelaArsenault, crispi and Vidiot like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I love musicals, but I'll have to get past my Ryan-Gosling-Worst-Actor-In-The-World phobia.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't like 'traditional' musicals, but this is on my list. I do like satirical musical takes like in the excellent Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw Justin Timberlake on Fallon last week and he was promoting his latest; Trolls, as a full on musical. Besides his role he's actually the musical director. Of course, I'm not expecting The Sound Of Music or West Side Story!;)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Saw the La-La Land trailer in the theater yesterday. They better cut a new trailer. This one did nothing for me. I got zero sense of the movie.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like the tunes.
    No need to look over your shoulder >Singing In The Rain.:)

7. The Panda

This is true.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Him I can tolerate. Emma Stone's meager charms must reflect her having one hell of an agent since she seems to be in every other movie.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've loved Emma Stone ever since I saw her amazing performance in Easy A. Meager, indeed!

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I love that the trailer doesn't tell me the whole plot. I'm fired up to see it!

Full disclosure, I love musicals. I see Bollywood movies to get my musical fix.

I enjoy both Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

The only thing that makes me wary, is "From the writer and director of Whiplash" as I (in the words of the Roger Ebert) "Hated, hated, hated" that film, and considered it the most overrated and overpraised piece of hackery in a decade and a vile slander on music education, a field with which I have a deep and close relationship.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm not talking about the plot. I'm talking about how much of the film is a musical. Is it like Woody Allens "Everyone Says I love You" a regular comedy/drama where songs break out occasionally, or is one long winding winding fantasy piece that is always on it toes like "Across the Universe" (oh, I pray not. What an awful musical) ? I wish I had a better sense of the tone of the film. Is it madhouse like Baz Lurman's musicials with big set pieces or an Astaire Roger's kind of production where a couple just croons to each other. And I didnt think there enough choreography shown for me to get a sense of the production values or
    enough music played to tell me if the music is any good! That's what I meant by getting little sense of the film.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Oh, is it time for the musical to make another "comeback?"

Seems to happen every few years and fizzles out pretty quickly.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

14. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I saw the trailer last night and thought that this will either be a big flop or a big hit with no middle ground. I'll go to see it but I know musicals are anathema to many people.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm sure my wife will make me see it either way.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

After seeing all the critical hosannas for this movie, I'm trying to temper my excitement so as not to have a repeat of The Artist. I did love Whiplash, though.

17. The Panda

new clip. Looks kinda magical in a classic way

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm catching it this weekend along with Manchester by the Sea. I'd say I can't wait but I'm trying really hard to control my excitement!

19. Chris DeVoe

I wish I was home seeing this with my wife. We are two of the only people who loved Francis Ford Coppola's One From The Heart, which this trailer reminds me of.

20. The Panda

I wished with all my heart I'd have liked it. Vegas and Waits, what could go wrong? sigh
    I do vividly remember the Little Boy Blue billboard sequence, tho

21. Chris DeVoe

One of the things that we like pointing out to people is that there is an additional couple in the film - the Greek Choir of Tom and Crystal - and you have to pay attention to the lyrics of the songs to get the full impact of the film. And also, it helps to appreciate that many of the transitions actually happened on the set, with lighting, scrims and half-silvered mirrors.

TeacFan likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Interesting. Looks pretty low key and natural. But that Ryan Gosling Emma Stone combination has me thinking it's going to be a watch at home affair. I hated the way she broke with laughter during the song. I think the last "modern" musical I liked was Woody Allens "Everyone Says I love You." But what can you say about Gershwin and the greats? Plus, the non-musical scenes were also top notch Woody. One of my favs.

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No one has seen this yet?

24. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

One From The Heart is one of my favorite movies.
    I love that movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I am digging the cinematography and I like the romanticization of Los Angeles (since I romanticize it myself at times), but I've just never been a fan of musicals. The Oscar voters are going to eat this up, though. There's always one of these about every decade or so that drips "Hollywood glamour of a bygone era" that the voters can't seem to resist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.