La La Land--the return of the musical

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is there a DVD release date for la la land yet?

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It's an impeccably well-made film (save for that bizarrely retro-but-not-in-a-good-way sequence at the Griffith Observatory), but I can't say I care much for what's happening on screen most of the time. Fancy camerawork only goes so far. It reminds me of people who praise Children of Men for the long takes -- yeah, ok, but why should I care if what's onscreen isn't compelling?

I realize it's a matter of personal taste, but I just don't think the songs in La La Land are very good, and the only one I can remember at all is Emma Stone's final audition one, and that's because it steals a bit of melody from "Rainbow Connection." I really wanted to like this film, it just didn't grab me.

Deesky and Purple Jim like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not that I'm aware of. I've not gotten a PR e-mail from Lionsgate, and Amazon lists no date...

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last I heard the release date for La La Land for home video is May.

I totally agree. As of today, audiences agreed to the tune of $400 million in grosses (so far).

We must be looking at a different clip. I've watched the thing five or six times and think it's pretty amazing, but I have a pretty good grasp on how tough it was to get this thing shot.

I also thought the color-timing was interesting: in the film, it looks almost like pitch-black night, but live on location you can see it's more like 6:00 in the late afternoon.

halfjapanese and PH416156 like this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Stupid question: what car did Gosling drive? thank you very much in advance.:)

6. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

A Buick Riviera. Early 80's model.

PH416156 and halfjapanese like this.
  7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply; much appreciated. :)

googled Buick Riviera and found several pics: a very nice car, this looks like the La la land one

[​IMG]

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Some Legrand-esque songs and the dances are really enjoyable. I love the Lovely Night segment. But overall it is not a great film IMO.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's due April 25...

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Looks like there's a lot of good bonus material on the Blu-ray, which is nice:

[​IMG]
    I would have printed "7 Academy Award Wins!" and then crossed out the 7 and hand-written in "6."

11. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Watching this again on blu ray makes me hungry for some classic golden age Technicolor musicals. I've seen most of the big ones already, but it would be great to get recommendations from the forum! Especially titles that are well represented/restored on BD. Thanks!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Watching Beauty and the Beast over the weekend with my girls reminded me how much I loathed this flick.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with your sentiments. First up, I did like the film, but I really, really wanted to love it. But I just couldn't make it that far. I love Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling is suitably charming, but, for a musical, I was disappointed by the quality of the singing, the songs selection and the dancing itself, which was mostly walking & twirling with the camera dancing around them to make it seem more dynamic. For a musical, the quality of the singing and dancing should not be weaknesses.

Other than that, I guess I didn't care for the ending much. I know it got a lot of praise for being unconventional, but dammit, in a romcom musical, I want my leads to live happily ever after...together!

The film looked great, Stone & Gosling were charming as hell, lots of fun along the way, but...I wish I liked it more... :(

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This was one of the more vapid, empty promise films I have seen in a long time. Thank goodness a real movie with a real plot and real characters got the award it deserved over this empty vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.