LA Woman/Live DVD-D21C

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stateless, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I picked the DVD on tuesday along with the Doors collectors DVD as well. I figured I'd get old & new Doors to celebrate and to see if I could tell the difference between the singers. :laugh:

Anyway, I never saw the D21C live so for me this was as close as I'll probably come to buying a ticket. I know it is nowhere near the same thing, but I figure I can offer a perspective of someone who just watched the DVD and didn't go to the show.

For a start the sound quality is great, and the band sounds pretty tight for the most part. Ian seemed slightly uncomfortable at the beginning. I guess he was feeling out the crowd. Being a big Cult fan I was happy when I heard Ian would be singing with Ray & Robbie. I always thought of him as some kind of bastard child of Jim Morrison. :p I'm sure someone coming in from the outside not knowing anything about Ian & his music would think that he is just cloning JM, but I think it is much deeper than that. JM was a huge influence (obviously) in so many ways, but Ian is his own man, and has a catalog of great tunes to prove it. (The Cult's ELECTRIC album is one of the best pure RNR albums of the 80's IMO, and it doesn't sound dated at all.) It it is great to see someone with that strong influence, and who takes the music seriously, fronting the band. Of course JM is irreplaccable, but if R & R are going to tour as D21C, I don't think they could have picked a better front man for this gig.

As far as the DVD does, I couldn't help comparing the 1st 3 tunes to the Doors with JM and was a little bit disappointed. Maybe it's because I've heard the real Doors play those tunes so many times it was a bit of a let down. Ian says "yeah" a bit too much, but that's not really that big a deal. Also someone should lower Ray's mic a little bit. he has a tendency to over sing at times and drown out Ian.

It was a nice surprise to see the short interview clips in between. They were quick but to the point, and at times poinant, especially the last bit with Ray.

The disc really came alive with the LA Woman performace. Ian really let loose and the band was really tight. It might because I've never heard a lot of these tunes live but they all sounded great. I was a little weary at the start of Texas Radio, but once it kicked in it was great. Ian really does resemble Jim at times, but I think it adds to the experience. Also, I do miss Densmore a little, but seeing R & R play off of each other makes it all worth while. Plus, even if he was there, it still ain't the Doors. The drummer & bass player were right on (sorry I don't know their names off the top of my head.) playing their parts very close to the records.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked it up. I've been listening to the audio while I type this and it sounds great. May have to burn a CDR. Oh...Light My Fire kicked *** as well. Ian really belts it out. After I watched the D21C DVD, I had to break open the Doors Collectors DVD. The Soft Parade section is great. JM kicks *** on that show.

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I have yet to pick it up. Where did you pick it up and the cost? I saw them last year at the NextStage in Grand Prairie, Texas. I thought they were great. For the encore, they sang "Soul Kitchen" and that brought the onto to the stage. Then 3 or 4 strippers were on stage and started stripping! Need i say more? :goodie: :goodie:

3. Stateless

$18.99. I would check Best Buy or CC, you might be able to get it cheaper. Oh, that stripper thing happens on the DVD as well. Plus the crowd rushes the stage. Again the LA Woman section was great. Changling, Been Down So..., L'America, Hyacyth House, Riders...great to hear these songs live, and Ian sounds great on them IMO. You know Robbie & Ray are having a great time doing this.

4. Stateless

I thought I'd bump this to see if anybody ever picked it up. Having listened to it for a few weeks now it really has grown on me. I love the LA WOMAN performance. The band really clicks during it and Ian is the perfect choice IMO. Anybody else with a review?

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Well, I'm a big DOORS fan, but wouldn't go to any of these 21st concerts. Glad Ray and Robbie can make a few extra dollars. The DVD was OK, but not the real thing. Can't recreate the past. Their time has passed. I like the original DOORS film clips vs. the 21st Doors stuff. Some old guys trying to rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.