Label saver? How about a dent puller? (WARNING LARGE PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeff Guidry, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Guidry

Jeff Guidry New Member Thread Starter

Howdy, first post here, just got in to vinyl and I am researching about cleaning methods, which led me here.

In a previous thread I read about pricey "label savers" for preserving record labels when hand washing, going for fifty dollars, and reading plans about making them for about ten.

Not sure if this is breaking news, but I discovered that car dent pullers (I got mine for 4.99 each at the local AutoZone, and you need two) are very effective at preserving the label and giving you big handles to grab on to.

Here's how I put them on:

[​IMG]
    This is a dent puller in the open position. The lever that is at a diagonal to the vertical one is the one that will be pulled in to create the suction that is needed to hold on to the record.

[​IMG]
    Center the dent puller on the middle of the label. It will overlap the level, just check around to be sure that it is not covering grooves that you will actually want cleaned.

[​IMG]
    Apply a little pressure to the record on the back side and turn it over with the dent puller now being on the underside.

[​IMG]
    Now place the other dent puller (also with the lever open) about centered on the top side of the record. Not really important if it is in alignment with the one on the bottom unless you are anal.

[​IMG]
    Now grasp the handle and pull the open lever to the closed position.

[​IMG]
    Like so.

[​IMG]
    Now turn the record upside down and clamp the other side.

[​IMG]
    And so now you have a convenient way to handle your records with no fear of damaging your labels. Just pull the levels apart to release the suction when you are done.

gss and Ntotrar like this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Sweet!
    M~

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for the tip!

A thought: how much pressure do these apply to the record?

4. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

5. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

thats pretty clever!!

6. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Great first post! Welcome.

Do these cups have a hole in the middle to allow for the spindle if you want to grab a LP from a turntable?

7. Pix no show...?

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

They're there.... refresh or reload or something....

9. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

My concern

Is there any chance this action would cause a crack or deflection of the vinyl? I would not be so concerned when both sides are done, but as you are putting on the second side could there be possible damage before equal pressure is applied.

10. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Very cool. $10 total cost sounds good to me. Thanks.

11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Brilliant!

12. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Nice, thanks! I tried making my own with outlet covers, but for some reason I can't find the right screw knobs around here. I may give up and go for the dent puller.

13. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

Great idea! I was going to try the outlet covers this weekend, but this is much easier!

14. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

Cool... and welcome Jeff! I went over to audiokarma.org and gave them a link to this page. I've gotten lots of useful info from the nice bunch of guys over at audiokarma.

15. Wow, that is very cool!

I love it when a product made for one purpose is re-imagined and used for another with great results. :righton:

16. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Since dent pullers work from suction and a record has a hole in the middle, I don't suspect that there is a moment "before equal pressure". I think that is why you have to hold the first one in place. I'm more curious about how waterproof/immersible it is.

I'll be giving this a try!

17. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Dent

I wouldnt use this. It looks to me like this could easily crack a record with all that force and suction.

Why risk that when all you need are two large rubber pads, two large washers, One Bolt and one wingnut? under 10$ at Home Dump

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! What a great splash onto the forum! You can probably even soak a record in water now.

19. Key

Key New Member

Ha yeah I use something very similar but not as ready made as that. These little plastic furniture movers/sliders. I actually bought them to move some furniture but re-purposed them by super gluing a cork to the plastic side and using the padded rubber side to cover the labels. Can't find a picture of the exact one I use but most of them just happen to be the size of a record lable.

20. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

The force and suction would be directed through the hole, to the dent puller on the other side. Since there's one on each side, each with the same amount of suction, the net force on the record would be zero, I would think.

21. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Not only that, but you'd be able to use the spray hose on it. Blast out all that gunk stuck in the grooves.

I'm going to have to give this a try.

22. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I get the feeling that AutoZone is going to have a run on dent pullers the next week or so.

Cashier: “Yep, you can spot them not long after they walk in. They have no idea where to find them and yet they always buy them in pairs too!”

23. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

Agreed. That's a hell of a first post.

24. Jeff Guidry

Jeff Guidry New Member Thread Starter

I am flattered and overjoyed that there has been such a positive response to this suggestion. I am quite glad that my little brain fart will be used to help people enjoy their music more. I am curious to hear reports of what others have experienced with this tip.

But I must warn you to look only for audiophile grade dent pullers, and carefully look for perfectly matched pairs or your stereo sound will be off... ;)

Hilarious, my brother suggested the exact same thing when I showed this to him. He suggested I buy a few thousand in bulk and get them to stamp "audiophile grade" on them, I could rent booths at audio shows and make a killing selling them for $30 a pair!

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is way over the top for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.