Lafayette KT-600 preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rickl, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickl

rickl Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got a Lafayette KT-600 preamp. Completely stock from the original owner. Not a scratch. It even came with a McIntosh amplifier clinic report from 8-14-65. The graph shows the pre-amp has 0.1% distortion at 2.5v output at 1000cpc (that is 1000 Hz for you young-ins). The owner always bragged it was better than his McIntosh preamp.

I got a lot of literature with the preamp (warranty card, March 31, 1960 invoice of $79.50, ...) and a note to look at page 34 in the May 1959 issue of Audio magazine for more detailed information. I don't have this so I'm not sure what the info is like.

Does anyone have this or know anything about this? I've read a some things on the Net comparing this to a Marantz 7C and the HK Citation lovers like the fact Stewart Hegeman designed it.

My plan is to bring it slowly up on a variac and if everything checks out, use it with my rebuilt Dyanco Mark IIIs. I've have been collecting parts for a Curcio Audio 'PAS3' preamp but this might be the one. I'll probably replace the two selenium rectifiers and might update some coupling caps but keep is close to stock.

If someone has a schematic or other other info, please let me know.

I'll try to post something once I get it going. It should be fun.

rick
    --
    Minneapolis

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hey Rick.

I have to get a variac for a couple of shiort wave tube sets I have.

What voltage level should I start at, and how long at each?

thanks.

Mikey

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Lafayette made some great sounding stuff back in the 60's. And their prices were very reasonable.

4. rickl

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Thanks Rick.

I never heard of applying voltage to a circuit without tubes, but what do I know.....

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I had a Lafayette KT-600. I found it extremely colored; only good for a vintage system. Check to see if it was made at the factory or by an amateur. It came in kit form....

7. rickl

I brought up the KT-600 slowly and all is well. I haven't had any time to really listen to it but I did hook it up to my modd'd Dynaco Mark IIIs.

Steve, this is a kit. However, it was the cleanest build I've seen. And all the Dynaco stuff I've seen, I'm surprised some kits actually work. This was similar to my Mac pre in wire layout, neatness, ...

It looks nice. Still need to listen to it. Anyone know who made Lafayette tubes?

Thanks to all for replies. BTW, it is in a vintage system (Mark IIIs, Maggie 1s, Fisher 90 tuner, Teac r2r, some cheap sacd player yet to be purchased).

rick

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Perfect system for the KT-600!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.