DCC Archive Lalo Schifrin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

After seeing Lalo mentioned in the "Song ID" post I decided he deserved a thread of his own!

I would *highly* recommend his 'Mission: Impossible' recordings from circa 1967 (the Dot/Paramount LP material as opposed to the TV soundtrack - although this has its own merit as well). The two LPs ('Mission: Impossible' and 'More Mission: Impossible') have been put onto a single CD called "Music From Mission: Impossible" (released in Europe as MCA 380 069-2 [also says MCD 80069 on the spine]). I seem to remember seeing a US version being available not so long ago.

Also highly recommended is the 'Bullit' soundtrack. Make sure you get the original 1968 recordings (on Warner Bros). Personally, I would avoid the Aleph releases as they are recent re-recordings of the music conducted by Schifrin and they lack that 60's sound that makes the originals so groovy :cool:.

I guarantee that anyone who likes well recorded 'live-in-the-studio' 60's instrumental material (think wreckin' crew playing very hip arrangements) will love these CDs. As for the sound quality - these CDs sound like flat transfers to me and as such couldn't sound much better - unless Steve were to get his hands on those tapes.....

Anyone have any more Schifrin recommendations? - I'm thinking of picking up the 'Cool Hand Luke' *original* sountrack (I assume the Aleph CD of this is a re-recording again here). I've also got my eye on the 'Dirty Harry' and 'Enter the Dragon' soundtracks.

By the way - unless you are desperate for Lalo's arrangement of the Joplin/Chauvin masterpiece 'Heliotrope Bouquet' (like me :D) then avoid the "Sting II" sountrack from 1982. It seems Lalo lost the magic he had in that golden period from the late 60's to the early 70's.

As a side note - does anyone know the story behind the track 'Secret Code'? I don't think it was on the original 'More Mission: Impossible' LP but it was put on the CD mentioned above. Where does it come from? It's yet another great track - does it come from another LP gem in Lalo's back catalogue?

Happy New Year to all (including Fredric - if you're still checking the board.....)

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Malc S ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.