Lambchop - What Another Man Spills (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.Hammershaug, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Hammershaug

J.Hammershaug Forum Resident Thread Starter

Merge has just released a 20th anniversary version of the masterpiece What Another Man Spills. Remastered from the original DAT-tapes and pressed on 2-LP.

Can I quit the hunt for a mint original and buy this one? Has anyone made a comparsion between those versions?

crispi likes this.
  2. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I just bought it, never heard an original. Was there a US version?

3. Jthomp81

Jthomp81 Forum Resident

Great album. I'm curious about the sound of the new remaster too.

4. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I’ve just listened thru and it’s really enjoyable. It’s mastered by JJ Golden, not sure where it was pressed. A few ticks here and there but I didn’t clean it yet. Side 4 is a tad off center but I don’t notice it at all.

J.Hammershaug likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No US release but there was a German lp release in 1998. 1 lp though, not a double.

6. J.Hammershaug

I’ve just got my hands on a NM copy of the original German pressing and waiting for the new version to arrive.

Will compare those and post my opinion here. I know this album damn well after all these years with heavy rotation. Mostly from CD and Tidal.

Kurt is the man.

Larry Loves LPs and Jthomp81 like this.
  7. Having only had the CD, I can't compare vinyl versions, but I am enjoying this reissue. Very nice packaging & mastering by JJ Golden.

Gavinyl likes this.
  8. J.Hammershaug

Nice to hear. Is it a dead quiet pressing?
    I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver the new 20th anniversary version. Order was placed August 8, 2018, so it should be here any minute.

9. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

My 2018 copy is perfect. No surface noise whatsoever, flat as a pancake and centered. I think the whole package has been handled well.
    Sound (I can only compare with original CD) is very impressive and a lot more open. Instrument seperation is well defined with Kurts voice sounding wonderful. Really impressed and will get a lot of plays!

10. Yes, I echo.

11. J.Hammershaug

My copy has started the long journey from Norway back to Amazon in Seattle. It had more or less constant noise, even after an ultrasonic cleaning. Both records was full of paper dust. The spindle holes was fuzzy, and worst of all, record 1 was warped. This is the first time I return a record from Amazon.
    Video of the warped record: iCloud Photo Sharing

[​IMG]

12. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i just got a perfect 'city slang' pressing of this ..... flat, centered, SILENT .... it was on coloured vinyl though, but i'm alright with that considering everything else is perfect ..... LP1 clear, LP2 yellow ..... ordered from a european marketplace seller via amazon .... avatarmusic ....

city slang version of 'is a woman' had issues though ..... very unfortunate. i just can't seem to get a decent pressing of that one. still trying though lol

13. Entombet

Entombet Forum Resident

Are there any differences in sound and vinyl quality between US (Merge) and Europe (City Slang) pressings? From what I read here I could think that City Slang version is better... May I ask for opinions?

14. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

My US version was noisy which was disappointing

15. woody

woody Forum Resident

I have noise only on side one of the Merge version, despite much cleaning. The release is marvelous sounding otherwise, miles ahead of the cd which is no slouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.