Lana Del Rey says she doesn't want to be called a pop star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

who?

sami, goodiesguy and jh901 like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't think she's in danger of being labelled a pop star. I have her Ultraviolence album and it's about the least poppy record I've ever heard. It makes Born To Die sound like Teenage Dream!

Granted, Ultraviolence has songs that need space to grow, but far too many of them are over-long. And would it have killed her to vary the pace a little?

Carly Rae Jepson is unlikely to cover anything from this album!

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

She prefers to be called a whore?

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

To paraphrase Monty Python, let's not call her anything. Let's just ignore her. I really don't get the appeal of LDR. Her whole persona feels very artificial and unengaging to me, this jaded retro pose, but obviously many others feel differently.

theMess likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder how many males in the business would admit they wouldn't have given any females a record deal, regardless of how talented they were, if they didn't get a blow job or get to f--- them?

NorthNY Mark, wolfram and dkmonroe like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree. Personally, I couldn't care less if she boinkity-boinked her way to the top, or rather boinkity-boinked a lot thinking it would get her to the top but instead got to the top on her own merit instead. It's none of my business either way.

And no, I couldn't have come up with a sillier euphemism. :laugh:

7. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Can't believe this was written 2 minues ago. Would have guessed 50 years ago.

8. dkmonroe

Aye, there's the rub, so to speak.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't think she's really that slutty. It's just a part of her act. It's like Miley Cyrus. All that bad behavior, but on the weekends she probably breaks bread with her family at the kitchen table and goes to church. Or reality TV shows...the worse people act the more people watch. I reckon Lana's schtick isn't that different. All I know is I like her music, especially her new record, which isn't pop at all so I can agree with that sentiment. None of this other stuff interests me but its all part of the game these days. You have to draw attention to yourself with vulgar behavior or else your Kelly Clarkson and the only thing people want to talk about is your figure.

10. dkmonroe

Because the last time anything like that happened was 50 years ago? Perhaps, but I rather doubt it.

11. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Other stars keep it their business, which is music, i don't need her to confirm for me that she's ''slutty''.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I love Lana's music but she's definitely bizarre.

13. br6388

br6388 Forum Resident

Don't worry, I won't call you a pop star! :tiphat:

14. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

That one just never gets old. Though I'll never get if it's supposed to mean "Of course I know who she is, but I don't like her music and therefore she's inconsequential" or "I'm to dumb to google".
    Classy.

15. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

The best thing she's done is have Marc Kinchen remix "Blue Jeans" and "West Coast".

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Hey, pop star is one of the nicer things you could be called.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What about this guy?

18. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

A lot do like it, unfortunately not myself....I wish I did :(

19. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Lana reminds me of the days when rock stars were rock stars. And not Sammy Maudlin.

footlooseman likes this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Lana Del Rey wants to be called terrible things by terrible people, because the more abuse and contempt she inspires among squares and dad-rockers the bigger she gets.

jay.dee and wolfram like this.
  21. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've never heard her, but just read an interview in RS which was pretty funny. She said something about making music for herself, and called on how she has to sell it to the public said "No, I'm signed to a label and they have to sell records. I don't need any money".

22. W. Acuff Rose

W. Acuff Rose New Member

I don't think "The Ultraviolence" sounds anything like the Black Keys. (That Dr. John album that Auerbach produced, on the other hand...)

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Well, her family is kinda loaded.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wait a minute, I just wanna say something here. There are a lot of guys and dolls that come and go in this business, but that Lana Del Ray is really is something special!

25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

you know, I read the interviews (the Complex one is more substantial), and she doesn't actually bring up the "rock" label. It's the Grantland writer who does. Now, the writer may not be wrong--I've been saying on the other thread that it seems to me Lana wants to rock out, which imo is not necessarily a good thing, but based just on the interviews, this was a stretch by the writer.

really? Her lyrics sound vacant to me, too!--which is partly why I enjoy them, they're like Andy Warhol statements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.