Lana Del Rey says she doesn't want to be called a pop star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

No you do. She makes great records and sounds like nobody else.

nbakid2000, Turbo2k and BradOlson like this.
  2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the thing about Lana Del Rey is if you completely disregard and ignore everything to do with her persona and focus solely on her music, she's pretty damn good

nbakid2000 and BradOlson like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

o_O Meaning...."pop singers" must deliver the goods without all the smoke 'n' mirrors?

For the record, I like some of Lana Rey's music.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Agreed. I know some people aren't all that fond of "Brooklyn Baby", but that song just knocks me for a loop every time I hear it, gives me chills. She gets to something very real there, and the fact that it's so undefineable just adds to it's appeal and mystery. It's in the instruments, the vocal. Don't let the affectations fool you, she's the real deal.

Tommy Jay, stanleyb, Turbo2k and 2 others like this.
  5. What, you're taking her seriously? I think she's taking the piss, 'cause it's not exactly unknown that her rich daddy is the one responsible for setting her up in the industry.

zen likes this.
  6. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

"Brooklyn Baby" is fantastic. As I've said before, anybody who rhymes "Lou Reed" with "hydroponic weed" can't be all bad.

pinkrudy, zen and ralphb like this.
  7. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yep, especially when she hits "the freedom land, of the seventie-ee-ees..."

plus I know the song wasn't intended this way, and it has other meanings, but it makes a really nice tribute to Lou Reed. The emotional palette reminds me of late VU.

ralphb likes this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think the original intent was to cut the track with Lou, but he passed away before they could get together.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As an aside, I forgot about how hot I thought the bikini babe in that video was! :love:

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Lana is great and I truly love her.
    Definitely original artist and I dig her albums which sound good on vinyl.

11. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Yikes I should have known! That's what I get for not doing my research.

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Criminal that this thread has no images...
    [​IMG]

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

^ Looks like a yummy pop star!

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Kelly's got talent and the self respect and that keeps her from sinking into the gutter with the rest of the slime.

But it also keeps her from ruling the pop world. That's why she takes a backseat to the gossip column queens and the ladies getting out of limos with no undies.

I'm glad Kelly hasn't given in to the pressure this twisted society puts on it's women entertainers. She sets a good example. If you have the pipes you don't have to sell your body. Jay-Z gets to wear a nice tux while Beyonce has to poll dance in some ridiculous get-up. Janet's album sales slump so she flashes some nip. We make them paint their face and dance. Will we ever reach a point when sex is so exploited and obvious in everything we see that we simply don't care about it anymore?

Oh look, boobies....here's my money.

olsen and zen like this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

From what I've read, that doesn't matter to her at all.
    The bottom line, as long as the music is quality, she can do whatever she wants. Not bad for a chick who was living out of her car prior to making the big time.

By the way, great post Zodiac!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  16. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

I have yet to hear a song by her and only see her name on Youtube and popular news outlets. Apparently I know that she has slept with a lot of guys in the industry from her own admission. I really don't want to listen to her music for entertainment purposes since I don't like her as a person, but may have to for research purposes.

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I can call her whatever I want, there's no way she can catch me.

nbakid2000, dkmonroe and footlooseman like this.
  18. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

pop tart

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

You said it.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

And vice versa.

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You never heard 'Videogames'??!? What are you waiting for ... a 78rpm mono pressing?

I like her music, but I'd call it pop for sure and she just joins a long list of recording artists who thought they could talk their way out of the mainstream faster than they could sing their way out of it.

Some nasty comments in this thread, by the way. Some people can't behave themselves when certain artists are mentioned.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Based on what I've heard and seen, I'll feel free to call her an "idiot".

23. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

I never heard of that song before you mentioned it and I typed it into Youtube. How on earth does it have nearly 65 million views? She just looks so detached and her eyes look dead. If this is what she is all about then I am not interested in her music.

24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This thread is a good example how you can't be attractive as a female artist and get at least some basic respect. People feel free to call you all sorts of names and eagerly take any gossip for truth as long as it conforms their stereotypes. I can see why St. Vincent went for quirky instead of pretty early on. Otherwise people would surely judge her music before listening to it, assume that she's not writing her own songs and only gets attention because she's a slut.

jay.dee, Turbo2k and ralphb like this.
  25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.