Lana Del Rey's sophomore album, "Ultraviolence", produced by Dan Auerbach and due in 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have found myself playing Old Money over and over.

2. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

For those who couldn't make it to Glastonbury.

I still don't think that performing live is her strongest suit, though she's improved quite a bit.

4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

She's more suited for the studio. She needs the backing tracks, and isn't exactly Mick Jagger on stage. I almost picked up the vinyl today, but was thrown off that it wasn't gatefold. If we get some reviews about the fidelity, I'll reconsider.

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

lauren mayberry also has a little trouble staying in key live...but lana has slightly more trouble...but her songs are harder to sing also.

6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Great thread, guys, and you've convinced me to buy the CD.

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I think it's worth mentioning that Dan Auerbach didn't produce the entire album. He has no involvement on Pretty When You Cry, Money Power Glory, Old Money, Black Beauty and Guns And Roses.

Does anyone know who produced Flipside? I think it may be Dan. I've got the Target deluxe CD which includes Flipside, but the booklet shows no credits for that track.

8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

don't know either, but that song has somewhat of a Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville sound... very indie rock.

somewhat related, the Glastonbury gig points to how la Lana is at a bit of a crossroads, I think... Now that she's refined her sound toward some maturity on the new album, and gained confidence with her backing band, the sillier pop songs from the first album (the ones where she sounds girly or raps about $$) sound out of place. Typical transitional issues, I guess, but on the other hand the 2 songs from the new album come off the weakest at Glastonbury, imo. Could be just because the band has been touring the other material for a year now vs. being comparatively raw on the new stuff, or that they haven't figured out how to arrange the more downbeat material for the stage.

also, maybe it's the fact that the BBC film crew shot her like any other rock band on the bill, but this does feel like a rock show, as opposed to some of her earlier appearances I've watched, which were like pop concerts, where the guys all wore plain black clothes and stood in the background, and all the attention went to her. But if they're going to be a band... that's a different story. Are these same guys who play on the album? (One sign it's still a modern pop act: she doesn't introduce the band.) Not sure they're up to the task of actually playing good rock music... and given songs like the first track on the new album, I fear that she might want to rock out, which could be a disaster without a good producer. I like the economy of the four piece, and that she doesn't have backup dancers and all that jazz, but it might be nice to hear her with more refined players rather than with rock dudes.

9. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I was excited to watch that show on YouTube last night when I found it but was surprised and disappointed. She felt uncomfortable and insecure here, like her mind was elsewhere IMO. I guess the weird mix on the broadcast didn't help either...
    Too bad, I really wanted a great pro shot show from this tour.

Her recent show from Olympia in Paris was broadcast (sound only) too and there she sounds a lot better.

10. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

It's written and produced by Lana herself with her live guitar player Blake Stranathan.
    This song has grown on me, I'd love to have Guns and Roses and Florida Kilos replaced by Flipside and Is This Happiness on the vinyl.

11. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

My vinyl is a gatefold and very well pressed. I don't own the CD and have not compared it with the download that came with the vinyl though. Don't know if there's different pressings in US and EU.

Now I'm off to see the Stones!

12. wolfram

I think that's part of the problem with her live performances. She seems to be terrified of them in general. And not being a strong live singer in the first place and having been bashed for it right from the start probably doesn't help either. Reminds me of watching Amy Winehouse, she seemed to be really uncomfortable with performing live as well. It's just not for everyone.

13. zen

zen Senior Member

I know she's not the complete musical artist and that's alright. Very few music stars can truly take command of the stage (and release good albums).

14. wolfram

I wouldn't say "very few", but I agree, it's perfectly alright if your strenght lies in recording good studio albums.

zen likes this.
  15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I haven't seen the show yet but NME gave it a rave review:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-...amatic-on-edge-glastonbury-set-of-the-weekend

16. zen

zen Senior Member

Cha ching! ;)

17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's also interesting to see the crowd reaction in some of these videos. It's like they want to get into it, but the songs just don't have that outdoor, beer drinking, mega-festival vibe. These new songs are too much of a downer to hit the masses.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I picked up the deluxe edition vinyl yesterday and it sounds great. Mine is not a gatefold and has no dl code. Kinda lame (on the last bit).

19. wolfram

How did my name end up over nbakid's post? :confused:

20. zen

zen Senior Member

:shrug: That's weird. Sorry. Human error...or computers are scary.

wolfram likes this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

My German vinyl is a gatefold-vinyl, which includes a download code. The domestic version I've seen is in a single sleeve.

22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

How come the U.S. version is the cheaped out version??

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I just ordered her albums (+ Paradise) on vinyl.

Turbo2k likes this.
  24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Listened to this on Spotify ... very noice, much better than Born To Die IMHO.

Is the CD brickwalled to buggery?

--Geoff

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It happens on this forum occasionally. It's a regular thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.