Lana Del Rey's sophomore album, "Ultraviolence", produced by Dan Auerbach and due in 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ok. As long as I don't get blamed for some of your controversial and inflammatory posts. :winkgrin:

Scopitone and nbakid2000 like this.
  2. Hendrix_Fan

Hendrix_Fan Active Member

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=lana+del+rey&album=

The DR values aren't that good, but looking at the waveforms in an audio editor you can see some dynamics. The songs on this album are pretty calm and mellow so there are long passages where the peak volume is well below the max. During those peaks though, there is obvious compression.

It is a modern pop artist so brickwalled? Yes. To buggery? I don't think so personally.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I agree. I struggle with some sibilance on one or two tracks, but apart from that, the album is quite listenable.

4. Hendrix_Fan

Hendrix_Fan Active Member

I noticed the same thing. Brooklyn Baby, for example, is a little rough during the song's peaks even on the HDTracks version. The vinyl isn't perfect but does show an improvement. Here are some screencaps of the two (I'm pretty sure they won't load here and you have to copy and paste the link).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

Anyone know where I could pick up a copy of the Urban Outfitters exclusive LP in the UK? I tried having a look at their UK web-store, but alas they don't stock it.

6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

im pretty sure its sold out.

you have to pay 100$ on ebay now.

7. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

It's still for sale on the US web-store, but it'd cost $40 to ship over here, and that's not including the VAT and custom charges they slap on top.

I'm a bit of a sucker for exclusive vinyl, especially with different artwork to the main release. I dunno why, but I feel the UO artwork suits the album better.

8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I'm not sure either cover is particularly right ... the standard one is closer I guess, but a bit prosaic for the "cinematic" quality of the songs.

actually, I'm not really on board with the album title, either. The song "Ultraviolence" is one of the best on the record, I think, but it makes the material sound more over the top than it actually is... anyone else think that a better title would have been "Shades of Cool"?

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

$34? wow that's a rip-off. paid $24 for my copy at a store that notoriously overcharges the hell out of everything.

10. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Is this an 11 song 2-LP version? How are the songs split up between the sides?

11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i guess ebay lied to me...
    i like the front cover better on the official one but the back cover is much better on the UO one

12. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Reverb, reverb and more reverb. Even Enya didn't use this much reverb. There are a few songs I like on this album though.

Ray W likes this.
  13. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I'm obsessed with this album.
    It doesn't happen often but last year it was Bowie's The Next Day that I just couldn't get enough of.

When I went to see Lana last week I thought I'd take a break from the album and Lana after the show. But the opposite happened. Except for listening to Stones in the car to and from the Stones show a couple of days ago it's been all Lana... 80% Ultraviolence and 20% unreleased stuff from 2010-2013.

I even spent tonight drinking Jack & Coke on the porch with my Gibson Hummingbird playing/singing the whole album (except for Money Power Glory)...

14. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i feel the reverb is a bit much at times....but then i think what it would sound like without it and it might not be as trippy or spooky.

Ray W and Dance Mxyzptlk like this.
  15. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

...drinks on the patio...

Flipside is turning out to be one of my favorites.

Perfect way to end the album (Target CD).

GREAT guitar. I'd love a whole album by her like this track.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Ha! What a great line.

Dance Mxyzptlk likes this.
  17. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i just got the vinyl in today....im listening to track 1.....i think it sounds less reverbed. a bit clearer.
    i think the lp is better than the cd.im feeling deeper in the music...but havnt done a back and forth comparison.

Dance Mxyzptlk likes this.
  18. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Playing the 2x lp version now, liking it more than when I listened to the tracks on youtube, I wasn't sure about this LP but like Live to Die it seems like it is going to grow on me like moss on a rock.

That's good moss on a nice rock :)

19. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased the Urban Outfitters version that could give share their thoughts? I was thinking about buying it but there are two bad reviews about the vinyl itself on UO's website.

20. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I received a set from UO and it initially sounded like sandpaper. A good wet/vacuum cleaning cleared that up. Not a fan of the non-gatefold sleeve for 2LP sets, but I'll live with it. Like the alternate cover art.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  21. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Thank you for the reply. I'm a sucker for colored vinyl and I like the alternate back cover. I'm with you on the non gatefold 2 lp sets. :thumbsdow

22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

turns out the back cover of the UO version comes as an insert inside the regular lp. the other side has the track credits.

does the UO version have an insert inside?

23. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I am still listening to the album and love it. I really still stay with listening to it when I can listen to it from beginning to end. I love Brooklyn Baby these days. As far as her live performances, I think she's terrified in huge venues. She's ill-suited for it. She should have turned down the Glastonbury Festival gig. She likes smaller venues and has more confidence then and I think likes the intimacy of it.

She's so sweet to her young fans. She really takes your breath away with her beauty.

Front 242 Addict and Ray W like this.
  24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

is this an official video?

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I took 2 weeks off but now I'm back with a vengeance. Love this record. Love her others too.

Ray W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.