Languaje related:Did the US won this time over the UK? Movies Vs. Films.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kiko1974, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just for fun but, do you think the US won this time regarding the choose of words? We mostly watch movies shot digitally these times so most of the times "film" as physical media is not used. in 2018 what word you think is more accurate, "film" or "movie"? We don't watch much shot on film, projected on film movies in 2018, so what word should we used?
    Since I was a kid my mother languaje, Spanish, has been adapted to the change of times making some words still correct but not contemporary and of every day use anymore, and words that were not correct or inaccurate in the past, the right ones in the present time. Does this happen in English also?
    I'm sorry for my ignorance about the subject, I started learning a very basic English back in 1986 when I was 12 and then started to learn what I consider more or less REAL ENGLISH, that is getting the needed level to for example being able to write this thread just relying to my head,no dictionaries or grammar corectors used, in the mid 1990's by watching fims or movies in English, and also as I live in a very touristic are in Southern Spain by changing hours of English-Spanish conversation with some retired British people that came here to live and enjoy of the Sun and warm weather,but couldn't speak a lick of Spanish. I may be using inaccurate and outdated words as my learning has been a long process.
    Back to topic, what most of you consider right or accurate in 2018, the word "movie" or "film"?

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

3. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

S0 the ol' BBC class bias is still alive and well?

[​IMG]

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Music "videos" stopped being shot on video in 1982

No reason we need to to stop saying "film"

Trivia: The word "movie" originally referred to people who worked in the film industry. Around Hollywood in the early 1910s you would see signs at hotels and boarding houses saying "NO MOVIES ALLOWED".
    All languages evolve. A special aspect of English is turning nouns into verbs: "I'll contact you", or one I still refuse to accept, "This will impact us".

One of the major factors "impacting" English in America nowadays is Political Correctness, but forum rules prevent me from going into detail about it.

5. stepeanut

I like to think of it as maintaining standards rather than pandering to the lowest common denominator. YMMV, of course.

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's just that I thought that battle had already been lost. All the British TV documentaries I see invariably have somebody with a grating provincial accent YELLING out the narration. The days of Sir Kenneth Clark calmly reciting his wisdom in eloquent Oxbridge would seem to have ended long ago.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. stepeanut

One’s voice accent and using the correct words are not the same thing.

But yes, the use of provincial accents on the BBC has increased in recent years.

8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The difference is that "video" origins from Latin, and means "something to see", so using the term in broader sense for all kind of visuals is justified. "Film" originates from the actual material/tape used during filming, and if this technology is no longer in use, it's quite normal the term "film" to fade.

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

My point was addressed to the larger issue of the BBC encouraging the idea of "Posh"

10. stepeanut

I thought you were arguing the complete opposite:

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Revolution Will Not Be Mispronounced,
    or
    It Is Perhaps The End Of The Beginning:

In 1960 I was surprised to read in the Financial Times that teenagers were now spending £500 million a year. It was this increased spending-power that changed popular music into a major industry. At last, this had an effect on the BBC. Recognising the need to provide programming for this new category of consumer, the BBC started Saturday Club, the radio equivalent of a Jack Good TV show, and realising that the majority of teenagers in the country came from a working-class or lower middle-class background they inaugurated a change that in BBC terms was quite shocking – they allowed the programme to be hosted by someone not speaking with an Oxbridge accent, Brian Mathew.

Disc-jockey David Hamilton worked for the BBC at the time. ‘Brian was a Home Service newsreader. Like all of us, he read the news with an accent as posh and public school as they come. But when he started introducing Saturday Club, we were shocked.’

Brian hadn’t been to public school and like most of the newsreaders his posh accent was a fake. ‘When I got Saturday Club, Jimmy Grant, the producer decided I should speak normally. We wanted to be accessible – we were aiming at youngsters. We wouldn’t be allowed to use real Brummie accents, or Manchester, or even cockney, but at least we could speak in a way that wouldn’t put them off. After the show had been going for a while I bumped into Frank Phillips, the BBC’s senior news announcer whom I’d been working with previously. He looked me straight in the eye and said: “I’d like to punch you on the bloody jaw, for what you’re doing to the English language.”’​

-- from Black Vinyl, White Powder by Simon Napier-Bell

Kiko1974 likes this.
  12. Kiko1974

Shoking is the word I'd use after eading this and get to know the kind of control BBC has over the right use of English on their programming and their anchors.
    You should have seen the weather forecast on the private channel (Antena 3) I watched tonight, the anchor is from the Cannary Islands and they have a very different and distinctive accent that sounds more like Latin American than Castillian Spanish. On the case of this girl she has a very strong Cannary accent, I personally dislike this.
    In Spanish, as in every well spread languaje, there are many many variations and accents, expresion that one would easily hear in one part of Spain that if you go to the other side of the country and you say that expresion people stare at you like saying "what have you just said?".
    On Spanish public T.V. they try their anchors to speak a plain and accent-less Spanish as much as possible but they don't always get it, it's almost impossible to get an Andalusian or a Catalonian to get rid of their accents even if they work on T.V. in front of the cameras.
    Spanish is a languaje that tells a lot about the person who speaks it like where is she/he from and their social status. I'm one of those rare cases who has no accent at all, I'm Andalusian from a Galician mother (Northwestern Spain) and an Andalusian father,but I have no accent at all, I got fed up when I was a kid of all my class mates telling me "you speak so posch" or "do you intend to work on T.V.?" I didn't mind them, they poor Andalusians are the ones who speak a dreadful and hard to understand Spanish. Many Andalusian T.V. anchors are allowed to speak on their native accent, many times is seen as "cool" :realmad: .

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Everybody has an accent

14. Kiko1974

Well, I guess you're right, my father tells me "when you get that Galician accent you become very dangerous and it's better to stay away from you". This means I'm really really UNGRY and pi$$ed off and I don't respond of what can come out from me. The 99% of the time, most Spanish people can't tell where in Spain I'm from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.