Laser Turnatable from ELP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamie Tate, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

Laser Turntable

I know they're 27 kilobucks but am curious how they sounded. Anyone ever heard one?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Emerson, Lake and Palmer made a turntable?

Never heard it but they don't really work that well I've been told..

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've heard one and I thought it sounded quite nice - considered picking up a used one a couple of months back but I waited too long and it had gone (reasons for the hesitation was I think they look ugly as sin ;) plus I'd used up by turntable purchase quota )

All the best - Andrew

4. Jamie Tate

The link is fixed. Sorry about that.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They'll send you a free demo CD, if you go to the bottom link.

I listened to one, but I don't know what brand it was. I know it didn't sound like vinyl. The whole involved sound was gone, and at times sounded spooky.

6. Jamie Tate

I orderd the demo CD. Thanks.

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I just got the CD but will not be able to listen to it until the weekend. There is another thread on this on the hardware forum.

8. Sckott

Just got the demo CD. If you listen very carefully, there's places in certain music that the laser doesn't pick up at all. They play Satchmo doing St. James Infirmary, and there's a second trumpet (?) that's 1/2 missing on some phrases. Most upbeat music really sounds like there's NR in the very minute passages and the air is totally cold.

For a demonstration CD touting a $20,000 price tag, I'm not that impressed. It has its flaws....

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

It turns out it is more like $10,000 which is still a lot of money

10. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Sckott, your post brought back memories of that disc! I had it a long time ago. You are right - it sounds spooky (maybe the fact that you are listening to vinyl that simply does not sound like it) and detached.

I never knew whether the laser digitized the info or whether the system was 100% analogue. But it really had a very cold, "ugly" sound to it. Spooky. :D

11. Sckott

It's uncanny. A surface going that fast with 20 lasers on it won't pick up the very tiny itty bitty nuances of sound. The inhale of breath, the air in a saxophone. IT'S NOT THERE.

and you want $10,000 for this?!? Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

Gimmie a simple belt motor, damped platter and a v15vXMR any day.

12. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I recently got the cd as well. The documentation that comes with it states that there is some damage on the lp that track was sourced from. They wanted to show how the table dealt with damaged discs.

Overall the sound isn't too bad - hard to judge from a cd. The comparison to the conventional turntable was certainly impressive, but who knows what that table was. By the way, the documentation also states that the signal was analog up until the A/D converter for the cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.