Last Action Hero released 25 years ago today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh wow... Okay, that sounds like.. well... not a great experience but I like in-theater dining in the more upscale theaters that they have now- if you get the chance, try that sometime.

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I didn't see it at the theater for all the usual reasons. I was travelling for work and it was on HBO in my hotel room, so I watched it. I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised and was not predicting that Arnold would poke fun at himself like that. It's an unfairly dumped on movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Haven't seen the movie, but I love the soundtrack.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, it's bad.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Pfft! Last Action Hero is kind of a silly idea, and the execution is a little tepid, but I'm not putting it anywhere near a bad movies list. It's not even Arnold's worst movie or anything. It has a few funny moments at least.

TheVU, realkilroy and enro99 like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fun premise, entertaining and Arnold in his prime! It's Good! : )

TheVU likes this.
  7. Michael

you've heard it...now see it!: )

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I will have to catch it on cable one of these days.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

let us know what you think if you do...

The Hud likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I loved it in the theater, have watched it several times at home and can't understand the criticism of it. It's a spoof of action films with film characters coming into the real world - a la Woody Allen's Purple Rose of Cairo.

The Hud and Rick Bartlett like this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I thought it was a fun parody on the genre. I would watch it again if I accidentally come across it but wouldn’t buy the dvd or anything.

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It is no Predator or Terminator, but it is fine. You have to understand what it is. It is not my least favorite Arnold film by any means.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it when it first came out and loved it and still love it.

Lot of fun.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Just rewatched it, it's still great fun! I can probably see why some don't like it, they probably don't
    understand or get the comedy to it.
    I saw this when it came out and thoroughly enjoyed it, I still enjoy it now.
    A lot of funny one liners in there, I'd even welcome a part 2.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Whitney Slater, played by Bridgette Wilson, was my crush when I was a kid! :love:

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I hated it then. Life is too short to dedicate two hours of my life to watch it again.

But where have the last 25 years gone?

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Saw it opening weekend and bought the soundtrack. My opinion of it? I have none at all other than I remember I liked it when I saw it and that was the only time I ever saw it. As for no opinion about it now is because I don't remember anything at all about it. Everytime I see the title I think "Big Gun" (in my best Brian Johnson imitation).

18. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I saw it when it first hit VHS, haven't seen it since. I vaguely remember enjoying it back then, for whatever that's worth. It pops up on the various streaming services every now and again and I have thought about re-visiting it, but haven't had the chance yet.

Interestingly, I just recently finished reading a book called Fiasco: A History of Hollywood's Iconic Flops, which devoted an entire chapter to the problem-plagued saga of Last Action Hero. It seemed like the wheels started coming off of that project early on but by then Sony had so much money tied up in it that they were like, "Nope! It's gonna be a HUGE hit! It HAS to be! Hype hype hype! If we say it enough times maybe people will believe it!"... which ended up blowing up in their collective corporate faces, of course.

I wonder how it would have fared if it hadn't opened the week after Jurassic Park, which pretty much crushed everything in its path that summer.

I like this quote about it from John McTiernan (director) on the film's Wiki page:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Dark Mavis and Ghostworld like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Always as bad as they said it was. It's just weird and confusing.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love the poster art, by the way.

21. Chris DeVoe

What's confusing? The plot is pretty straightforward - lonely kid loves seeing action movies, gets given a magic ticket, winds up in the action movie, brings his hero back to the real world.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I mean even if you don't like the movie, you have to admit that the concept is something you haven't really seen before at least.

23. Chris DeVoe

It's a bit like Purple Rose of Cairo. Maybe the film expected too much from people. Mike Royko wrote about seeing some kid in the theater wearing headphones while watching the movie, obviously just there for the explosions. For instance, you have to have at least a passing familiarity with The Seventh Seal to get the joke about Death walking out of the theater.

"Sorry, I don't do fiction."

artfromtex likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Why can't she be like every other teenager? For prom night she stayed home and field stripped an AK-47.

Strummergas, Rick Bartlett and nosliw like this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, you never know when you have to kill every melon farmer in the room.

nosliw, realkilroy and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.