Last Action Hero released 25 years ago today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mBen989, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Can't remember much about the movie, but the soundtrack is great!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

"Iced that guy, to cone a phrase"

3. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I saw it at the Fox Village in Westwood in 8-track SDDS, and enjoyed it. I don't think I've seen it since that screening, but at some point, I will revisit it.

4. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Wow I remember this was going on when I visited the USA for the first time.

The movies playing were The Last Action Hero - Cliffhanger and Jurassic Park.

Went to see Jurassic Park at the Universal Studios Cinema in LA. So we got to see it with THX and at least three months before the folks back home in the UK.

This historic incident also happened while I was there I remember on the news...

PIZZA HUT’S BIGFOOT BLIMP ACCIDENT.

Those were the days.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Reading that article it looks like it would be interesting for someone to stump up some cash for a proper re-edit.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I used to rent it on VHS back in the day. I like it.

8. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

We had the EXACT same experience with this film.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's unlikely that all the raw footage still exists to make a re-edit possible. I watched it again last night to make sure I wasn't misremembering the film. Nope, I still enjoyed it. The bad guy killing Jack Slater's son was extreme, but tragically reality has provided much worse in the years since this film was released. This isn't the only critically loathed film I enjoy and will defend.

Rick Bartlett and enro99 like this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I did consider that point about the other footage but you never know. The other issue is "Why throw more good money after bad?"

Michael likes this.
  11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I've only seen this movie once, possibly as a rental VHS. I really enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind picking up a blu-ray release.

12. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

[​IMG] Love it!
    It’s great fun :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member Thread Starter

Is it worth mentioning this was the first film released in Sony Dynamic Digital Sound? It was supposed to be Hook but some technical issues had to be worked out.

14. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Uh huh...uh huh...yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah...

15. Chris DeVoe

Re-editing a film that failed at the box office. To quote that great thinker Rocket J. Squirrel "That trick never works!" My wife and I are two of the handful of people who love Francis Ford Coppola's One From The Heart, which we had discovered on home video. It was going to be shown at Chicago's Music Box theater, and unbeknownst to us, they had reedited the film for this release, addressing some of the criticisms. The re-edit didn't get anyone to reevaluate it, and destroyed what we loved about the film.

16. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Saw it first when released and loved it . I don't care about super hero movies , but this was great fun. Had another look recently and liked it very much. One of the few Arnold movies that aged well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Overrated when it came out, underrated 25 years later.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I agree, and I'm not a big action movie or Arnold fan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't get the Mill Creek version. : )

20. Michael

because the movie has a following and we'd love to see it! LOL...

21. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

I laughed out loud reading this!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  22. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Inspired by this thread, I revisited "Last Action Hero" this afternoon on Roku Channel with my 10 year old son. As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, I'd seen "L.A.H." before but it's been so many years that I remembered next to nothing about the movie.

Anyway, I enjoyed it more than I expected after reading so much about what a mess it was (not just here, but pretty much everywhere over the past 25 years)... it's definitely way overstuffed with a too many throwaway gags and it felt like it could've ended fifteen minutes sooner, but overall I was entertained and my son got a big kick out of it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Michael

I yearn for an extended Directors Cut. : )

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I didn't hate One from the Heart, but I did see it and think, "why the F did this movie cost so much to make?" $26 million for a movie like this in 1982 was absolute insanity. I would've just shot it all conventionally on location, forgoing all the fancy effects, and do it for $10M. Same story, same actors, same dialogue, same emotion, same sets. At least that would've lost a lot less money. It's not an awful movie, but it's not very good, either. It's a far better movie than Last Action Hero, which is a horrific example of 1990s Hollywood wretched excess.

25. Chris DeVoe

He shot it the way he did because it was the only way to get the shots and transitions he was after. Like the floating shot up above the Golden Nugget, coming down over the street, and into the window of the travel agency. Or the scrim transitions between the heroes and heroines apartments. There was a deliberate level of artifice to the film, and reality just wouldn't have served. More importantly, it was Coppola's love letter to the studio musicals of his childhood - most of which were shot on soundstages.

What's fascinating is that everything he was criticized for doing - directing via video tap, for instance - is now standard operating procedure.

enro99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.