Last Album(s) You Purchased Because of a Forum Discussion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KDubATX, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When Thread Starter

What is the last album(s) (whatever format) that you purchased because of a forum discussion?

Happens a lot i'm guessing if you all are like me.

I picked up Sector One and Sector Two on HDTracks after reading about the *new* Rush remasters. The whole discussion prompted me to go look for the new versions but my eye caught that NICE $30ish price point per set that I stacked w/ a coupon and picked up 10 HiRez albums for less than $6 each.
    The 1989/2007 Album set was a bit more $ on HDTracks but Amazon had the CDs for $30 so I scooped that up as well.

All in all about $90 impulse purchase based off a forum discussion of versions of the albums that I did not actually end up buying LOL.

Thankfully I know some of you have done worse and spent a lot more than that, so spill it, whatcha got?

majoyenrac likes this.
  2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I am currently researching recommendations from the Brazil/Samba thread, the Lounge thread and the Dean Martin Reprise thread. A list is forming....

3. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The latest ones from Beck and Father John Misty.

JL6161 and tmtomh like this.
  4. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

I went for the new Physical Graffiti (2CD version) on the strength of recent discussions. I was so impressed with it I decided to order the earlier albums and am now waiting with everyone else for the release of the last two (not so concerned over Coda - I bought it when it first came out, listened to it a couple of times, and never bothered getting a CD version later).

Fullbug, Eric B. and tmtomh like this.
  5. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Discussion about the excellent sonics lead me to purchase Aja CD by Steely Dan and the best of Steely Dan CD. Great sound on both. Some of the older stuff is very trippy (like the song Do It Again). Aja has a mellow 70s vibe, very jazzy with a lot of horns and funky bass. Not my favorite music, and a lot of it borders on Muzak compared to Aerosmith, but it's cool for what it is and I am happy with the purchases.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    ledsox likes this.
  6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell's Hejira, after the "They snub me because I'm a woman" thread. I like artists who trash talk the system.

JL6161, ConnieGuitar and Zeki like this.
  7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ian Anderson: Homo Erraticus
    hadn't thought about, or listened to, Tull in decades. Forum piqued my interest again and acquired the latest Anderson solo. And quite like it!

8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Beck - Morning Phase

tmtomh likes this.
  9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Deep Purple-Hard Road box set.

I didn't want to buy more Mk I CDs. After I read the reviews here, I had to get it.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  10. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

There are so many titles that I have bought because of this forum. Stevehoffman.tv is a great revenue generator for labels that release quality work.

Most recently I ordered The Beatles Blue/Red comps simply due to the reviews here and that it was pressed at Optimal from the Analog tapes. I don't need any more Beatles albums but I couldn't resist.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  11. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Not a discussion, but I want to thank whoever it was that posted a You Tube video of David Wiffen a few years ago.

It led me to buy 3 of his CDs and he's since become one of my most favorite artists. :righton:

12. Who's Next SHM-SACD from CD Japan.

13. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Groundhogs- Split. "Dark heavy prog blues". Essential. thanks shtv

14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Not me, at all was it? http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ing-to-right-now.418583/page-23#post-12088414 :D

The very last thing I bought inspired by this forum, is the Damon Albarn album Everyday Robots (to my shame it only took me a year! :rolleyes:) I've not heard that yet - got it yesterday - and have a load of things to work through but hope to get to it very soon.

But the last new purchase was Gaz Coombes (ex-Supergrass) LP of Matador in late January and I like it a lot and also, not long before, I bought his previous album on CD (his debut) called Here Come The Bombs - they're equally great IMO. That again was due to the forum and I am a fan of Supergrass and have been since they started out in the mid-90s.

Another couple that I didn't own - and hadn't heard before and due to reading up on them I decided to get them, are The Rolling Stones' last two studio albums Bridges To Babylon (played yesterday and I enjoyed it very much) and A Bigger Bang (on 'the pile' for the weekend sometime.)

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  15. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I bought a lot of Grateful Dead stuff, three albums by the Band Of Horses and four albums by Procol Harum after reading various topics about those bands here.

Marvin likes this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The Sun Dogs by Rose Window.
    Original Soul Sister by Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
    Sinatra and Swingin' Brass.

17. 'Amused to Death' - Roger Waters.
    Kept seeing this album being mentioned in various threads so thought I would get hold of a copy to see what all the fuss was about and to check out the Q Sound effects that were often mentioned.
    A great album and with the bonus of great sound quality.
    Thanks !

18. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Well I bought 2 CDs after seeing them praised here, one was Close To The Edge, and the other was a recent one by Culture Club. Both were disappointing. heh

19. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Steven Wilson's latest... Only listened to it once so can't pass judgement on it yet.

20. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Audio Fidelity Pet Sounds
    Audio Fidelity Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits
    Audio Fidelity Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits V2

There seems to be a trend here!

21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Most recent maybe Le Butcherettes a couple months ago.
    It is hard to tell sometimes. I picked up a couple albums by the Pogues. Was it because I heard about them here or did I know about them and the idea was reinforced by discussion here?
    And this happens a lot - I am researching a artist I hear about here and it leads me to a different artist.

22. The first The Sound boxed et. Had never heard them that I can recall but love their second and third albums to bits. "Missiles" is an essential Desert Island single IMHO.

23. I suppose it comes down to what you were expecting. I listened to samples before buying what was recommended and quite liked it when I received it.

24. rsulzinger

rsulzinger Forum Resident

Rumer's first CD (and second and third CD)

25. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Viet Cong - s/t

wolfram and Moth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.