Last audio gear purchase you made that was a complete gamechanger

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benefactor, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

This:

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/product...ifi&subcatid=usbdaconverters&productid=hddac1

Not a day & night difference from my ex-DACs (Audiolab M-DAC, Teac UD-501) but plays everything I throw at it plus has a really handy front panel usb input for my ipod/ipad etc. Also sounds a tad more (I hate to say it, but) analogue-like than my previous two players. Easy to set up with my Mac. Interfaces well woth my old Meridian CD transport via spdif. Killer headphone stage which had really been the game-changer for me. Listening to so much more music late night now via headphones. Looks lovely, well made. Have hardly played any LPs since I'm truly enjoying this thing so much.

My first game changer was a pair of Quad II amps and 22 pre-amp given to me aa a teen by my Grandfather. THAT more than anything turned me onto this whole audio malarky! :)

- John -

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Now that is the definition of a game-changer. ;) Congrats. (black or champagne?)

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  3. meadow

meadow Active Member

1. First Watt amps. Nelson Pass designed class A FET solid state (sand) amps. I was a tube fundamentalist until I heard that.

2. Macbook. No more digital transport and ugly CD rack.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very nice.

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

5 years ago when I bought a Mac mini and wavelength usb dac. Not only sound wise but also I have a wife, kids and a small house. Having my full cd collection at my fingertips in an iPhone or iPad remote has kept music in my life daily.

TommyTunes likes this.
  6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

An iPod Classic. Hooked it up to my main system via the dock outlet to the RCA's with needle drops lossless for the music.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

tried that app a few years ago. it sure sounded good but man was it buggy. could barely get it to play an album all the way through, it kept stopping

8. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Mike-48 and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Mike-48 likes this.
  10. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yeah, paying attention to room acoustics can bring large improvements. You can make your own traps if you have DIY skills.

11. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

A used pair of Sennheiser HD 600. These sound great with anything I've thrown at them. I don't even fool around with speakers, placement, and room treatments anymore. Now I can cut out the variables and enjoy the music without my OCD kicking in. :)

Benefactor likes this.
  12. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Naim CD 5SI-2. LOVE it.

14. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

KAB EV-1

15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Toeing my speakers in just a touch, getting them away from the walls.

Sailfree likes this.
  16. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd definitely qualify my purchase of HD600 phones, a Perreaux SXH1 amp, and a Stefan Audioart Equinox cable as a total gamechanger.

17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

JBL S4700 speakers. Probably the best speakers I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

18. Just like Kristeva says above, the addition of the right Step Up Transformer (SUT) can make a world of difference. I built a SUT using the Cinemag 1254 transformers and it has great synergy with my modified Denon 103R. The right cartridge/SUT/phono stage combination can make a HUGE difference!

19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

+1 on SUT. Added a Budgie and sweet Jesus.

Might I add to 'game changers': dialing in my VTA just so with an Ortofon Quintet Black.

20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

So what's your issue with the usual square or rectangular :confused:......:nyah:.......:p

21. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

of course the real game changer with a SUT is correct loading with the best resistor you can afford.

33na3rd likes this.
  22. Thorens 124 MK2
    Thorens 125 MK2
    Omega Super 7 XRS speakers (I listen to 70's reggae, dub, late 70's-early 80's funk and I was concerned I might need a sub, but hell no! these speaker deliver)
    Eico 81F tube amp, soon to be replaced by a Torii Decware, despite it being very very very nice.

and, last but not least, for ease of use, Audioengine wireless gizmos that let me stream the music stored on my Mac to the stereo.

23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Just replaced my Mcintosh MC 275 with a pair of MC 1201 mono blocks.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

An Onkyo TX SR 606 7.1 A/V receiver, picked it up at a thrift store for all of $50. So now I have surround, a game changer. I also have multiple low distortion amps, audibly superior to the amp section of my vintage Kenwood KR 9600 receiver. The Onkyo receiver also has much improved D/A converters. This all shifts things in favor of Digital replay.

25. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

My Rega Aria has given my set up a much needed injection of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.