Last Comic Standing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Laughther is the best medicine isn't it?

Did anyone catch this TV show this evening?

Right at the end of the show, they showed some clips of tomorrow's episode. I have to share this joke with you. My girlfriend and I are still laughing.

"I like my scotch like I like my women... 12 years old mixed with coke." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Some of these new comedians were very funny. I might dial up tomorrow's episode.

2. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Speaking of clips from the next episode, I thought the Parkinson's joke was even better...

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Why wasn't the girl that did the "On a good day I can do 95 words per minute. On a bad day I show up drunk in my pajamas" joke get through to the next step? She was far funnier than the grandma lady that made "jokes" about beating her grandkids. :confused:

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

So many of these comics were not new at all. Ok, maybe I'm spoiled from living in New York and once having too much time watching Comedy Central, but so many of these were familiar.

Fortunately, my favorite working comic advanced- Jim Norton (pink nipples, looks like a baby orangutan). The guy is great. Doesn't stand a chance of winning the whole thing because he's too crude and caustic (and if Dat Phan taught is anything, it's that the cute little nice kid is what the voters want).

Louis Ramey, Pablo Francisco, Todd Glass, that woman in the beginning whose name I forgot- seen 'em all over the place.

And I can't believe that skinny chick was a stripper, and in LA no less, a town crawling with hot babes.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I thought so too. I kept saying, "there's a ringer, there's another ringer." Turns out they're allowed to be involved. This isn't American Idol.

I hope Jim Norton wins. He's such a quick wit.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

He brought a lot to the old "Opie & Anthony" radio show....

This is the kind of reality show one can really sink one's teeth into. Nothing but good, old-fashioned joke telling. A winner, IMO.

Evan

7. Chris R

:agree: That "Who's your mama? Who's your grandma?" joke made me want to take a shower.

8. Chris R

:laugh: :laugh:

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree. I didn't find "Grandma's" act funny in the least. I would say, actually, that most of the comedians/comediennes shown didn't seem very funny to me. I would equate the show with the audition phase of American Idol, where they show not only a lot of untalented people but also pass people of limited apparent talent onto the next round.

10. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I heard Wil Durst was in the competition. Wil Durst!

He's a great comic with a political slant, and one of the funniest guys I've ever seen in person. Guess his career isn't going as well as it should.

11. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

If I were any of those prospective comics, I'd be cheesed that they were handing invitations out like hotel copies of USA Today when they were in New York, and were outrageously stingy with them in other parts of the country-- where there were much funnier comedians, in some cases.

-Kevin

12. Chris R

Did anyone see the Thursday episode this week? We just watched it. Holy cow! :eek: It appears that Brett Butler and Drew Carey did not know that there were other judges.

I disagree with the picks on both shows. I gather this program is now going to turn into a "Big Brother / Survivor". Let's put a group of people together who may not be all that compatible and put them in a house together for a period of time. Doesn't matter if their comedy is that great. IE Ant, and Todd Glass. :rolleyes: What the editors/producers let us see from both of these guys was average material.

From the first show, I liked the woman who's husband is also a comedian. She did not make the cut. On the second program that Dan guy should have made it in the house. Just my humble opinion. I thought Alfonso was one of the best comedians over both shows. :laugh: :thumbsup:

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I was so upset that older guy (forgot his name) that had throat cancer didn't make it. Then the second show I was shocked that black motorcycle guy made it in. His set was about as creative as saying knock-knock jokes. I mean c'mon, we've heard enough stereotype jokes. What really dinks me off is when the female comedians talk about being female, the black comedians talk about being black and the Jewish comedians talk about being Jewish. Boring. :rolleyes:

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Also, what about that bar comic. I thought he did a great job. I guess he was too nice and wouldn't have added enough stress to the house. That's just stupid. The house portion is such a small part of the show. It's not the main draw like the stand up bits are. Ich!

15. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Totally agree. It's old and tired. :thumbsdown:

16. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I thought the "Bed, Bath and Beyond" joke was great! :laugh:

17. vex

vex New Member

The producers are picking the comics based on a group dynamic they are trying to build and NOT based on the talent of the individual comedians. Brett and Drew had every right to be ticked off. Kudos to Comedy Central though for letting the controversy air and for not trying to bury it. Still, it kind of took the wind out the sails for me.

18. Chris R

We do not get Comedy Central in Canada. Do they run the program without the bleeps? The feed I watch is either NBC Buffalo (early) or NBC Spokane (later).

19. vex

vex New Member

Yeah, the show is bleeped...

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think the network has already made a place for Jay London (the furry guy). Have you noticed he's been the last name called (to add suspense) both times he's made the cut. I think they're setting everyone up for him to be the underdog everybody roots for. Fine by me. He's far more interesting than most of the other people on this show. Can't you just see him as some kookie guy on an NBC sitcom. Could save the format. :laugh:

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Jay London was the only guy I actually laughed at; the Bed, Bath & Beyond joke is the only one I still remember! :laugh:

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.