Last Concert Experience?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by uncarvedbloke, Feb 28, 2015.

1. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Afgan Whigs in Los Angeles at The Fonda on Friday the 13th!
    Not sure if I've ever been to a show on a Friday 13th before but I'm happy to report nothing bad happened. LOL
    The Whigs were excellent and a special treat was an apperance by Marcy May to sing her song My Curse from The Gentleman album. She sounded fantastic as did the Whigs for this awesome hometown gig.

DHamilton likes this.
  2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Rock: David Gilmour at the RAH in September 2016, Classical: Mozart’s Requiem by candlelight at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester November 2016.

Both concerts were excellent. However I’ve dialled back concert going massively since then. Seeing David ran well into 3 figures with transport, accommodation & food. Only concert booked for this year is The Divine Comedy in November, and next year Roger Waters in Liverpool.

Like many in the thread, between ticket costs, fees, travelling, parking, food followed by inconsiderate jerks, the balance between cost vs pleasure has been tipped. Passed on seeing Maiden this year not to mention Radiohead & Sparks as a result.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

This is why I left after a couple of songs when they played in London. It went beyond loud into something truly harmful. My friend sustained permanent hearing damage. Not fun.

Always protect your hearing. Better still, avoid Swans!

Fullbug likes this.
  5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I posted this in the Metallica - Hard Wired thread but thought it fitted here as well. I was at Metallica's Glasgow show on Thursday night and though the staging and performance were excellent the sound was terrible. If you are a fan of bass drums you would have been happy as that was the dominant sound throughout the concert. The two guitars were pretty indistinguishable from each other, mixed too low and I don't know what Robert Trujillo was doing most of the night as his bass was MIA. The drums were actually louder than the vocals. I went with 3 other people who all had similar issues with the sound and my friend said that if he didn't know the set started with the song 'Hardwired' he would have had no idea what they were playing. I saw Iron Maiden at the same venue a few months ago and their show started out a bit rough, but after the 3rd song they seemed to fix the sound issues and it was OK, but last night was a real disappointment.

coffeetime likes this.
  6. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

KING CRIMSON - Atlanta 10/ 23-24/17

An absolute sublime aural assault this past Monday and Tuesday with Crimson.
    I will tell you, after 45 years of seeing this band live they remain the very best live
    gig you can experience. Fripp has some kind of inert guiding light that simply blows
    the roof off whatever else is going on musically. They have always been a cut above the
    norm, but to continuously have this level of musicianship and output over so many
    decades is why they qualify in my top three of all-time... joining The Beatles and Bob Dylan.
    No one else comes close to King Crimson for sheer power, supreme creativity, and magic.
    Reworking music that was made as far back as 1969 .. and making it fresh, yet staying absolutely
    true to form is something seldom achieved, if ever like this.
    There are only a few acts that I travel far to see... planes, pains, and automobiles-
    with age, and challenges this Crimson makes me feel alive.
    As always, thank you guys!

DO NOT MISS KING CRIMSON LIVE...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Reis, snigglefritz and footlooseman like this.
  7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit last night in Dublin. Exceptional.
    Next up, "Steely Dan" the day after tomorrow.

8. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

Metallica in London last Sunday. I last saw them in 2008 and, for various reasons, had not seen them again until now. They were really good and I thought Hetfield in particular performed very well throughout the show. The set list was pretty good with rarities like Damage Inc and Through The Never among the songs that they played. I would have liked more stuff from Ride The Lighting and Justice For All but I think they struck a good balance overall. I hope it won't be another 9 years before I see them again!

9. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

:cry: Tom Petty – 9-22-17 at the Hollywood Bowl – I'm glad I saw him and all, but it also makes me sad.

10. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Steely dan, Buffalo shea’s theater, dead center balcony. Sound was Clear as their albums.

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Wolf Alice and The 1975 at Bayfront Park, Miami, in May 2016

Wolf Alice was the band I went to see and they put on a great show. Unfortunately, the crowd seemed indifferent to them, but they absolutely raved for The 1975. Gotta say The 1975 put on an incredible light show.

Great concert overall, but I wish I'd worn hearing protection.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

We saw Jason isbell last night in brighton, as you have said exceptional, it was the first time we have seen him but it won't be the last

Dennis0675 and Sammy Waslow like this.
  13. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

The National last thursday in Amsterdam. Great concert. Played lots of their latest album.

14. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Bluesfest @ The O2 yesterday.

Steely Dan as the main feature and The Doobie Brothers as 'Special guests'.

Great show by all involved, The Doobie Bros rocked for a fantastic hour before Steely Dan (or Donald Fagan & The Steely Dan Foundation, as he called them) played an excellent 90mins. Excellent night out.

footlooseman likes this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've seen him a couple times this year as well. He puts on a great show with top tier sound production.

16. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

8,4/10 -- May, 2017 - Depeche Mode in Budapest (during the night of the Manchester attacks...)
    But prior to that...
    9,7/ 10 -- February, 2015 - D'Angelo in Zurich (debut of his Second Coming EU tour)

Hard to find inspiration to catch a show, as real artists are seldom made today.

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Caught the second night of Moon Taxi at the Ryman. I really liked them when I first moved to Nashville and they were Nashville's resident quirky jam band...they've since kinda pivoted and become a kinda generic indie pop thing, but the gf is a fan so we went. They were still a good live band, but once I noticed how much the singer sounds like the guy from Kings Of Leon (possibly my least favorite rock singer in the history of the universe), I was like "man, you guys should really go back to jamming more so there's less vocals." Their lead guitarist has the stage presence of a 14 year old who just got walked in on with a stack of his dad's Playboy collection, but man, the dude can play, and is frustratingly underutilized in their new-ish sound.

18. Plectrum Electrum

Plectrum Electrum Forum Resident

Miranda Lambert
    Highway Vagabond Tour
    Clyde Auditorium
    Glasgow
    August 21st 2017
    Support Act: Ward Thomas

Memorable for a number reasons. Firstly, this was during her first ever European tour and she and her band were absolutely fantastic. But something happened, (not exactly sure what - there was speculation on social media) and she didn't come back out to play an encore (which would've included the gorgeous Tin Man). Still, 18 songs more than made me happy. An encore is a bonus, the way I see it. Speaking of bonuses....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  19. Sammy Waslow

I was at their second Dublin show this evening (they played the first show two nights ago) and - likewise - it was terrific stuff. A great double bill. The Doobies did their utmost to work the crowd and Donald and the band were on top form. Great musicians, great sound. Superb.

20. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

+1

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  21. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Nick Cave ziggo dome Amsterdam Netherlands 6 Oktober 2017. Great show only the sound was too loud.
    But great performance

22. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Gov't Mule, Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 31st of October 2017 ("Mule-O-Ween"):

Although a special event (Mule-O-Ween for the first time outside the USA) i expected it to be not the commercial success it would deserve. There wasn't much press / promotion for this anticipated event and since the crowd at Mule gigs and WHB gigs i attended in Europe recent years was getting smaller i was afraid the concert at the Paradiso in Amsterdam would have a dissapointing attendance. Luckily i was proven wrong. I think it was as good as "sold out". Audience really in to it. Not a sea of cell-phones and no loud talkers around me. Show was awesome. The Mule really nailed the sound of The Free. Warren's voice was in great shape and really did Paul Rodgers justice. I wished for an ABB and Tom Petty tribute during an additional encore but i guess you can't have it all. It was a near 3 hour show. Warren Haynes kinda saved his voice for the Free set during the first set in which they jammed a lot especially suring the lenghty instrumental opening jam and a 16+ minutes "Kind Of Bird". Another great detail: i have been going to the Paradiso for about 30 years and the sound was never so excellent / near perfect than last night. Wow, what a sound!

SET ONE

1 Trane >
    2 Eternity's Breath >
    3 St. Stephen Jam >
    4 Banks Of The Deep End
    5 Rocking Horse
    6 Pressure Under Fire
    7 The Man I Want To Be
    8 Kind Of Bird

SET TWO

1 Fire & Water Concert Debut
    2 Ride On A Pony Concert Debut
    3 The Stealer Concert Debut
    4 I'll Be Creepin' Concert Debut
    5 Oh I Wept Concert Debut
    6 Mr. Big
    7 Little Bit Of Love
    8 Woman Concert Debut
    9 Songs Of Yesterday with "Stixx" Turner, Concert Debut
    10 My Brother Jake Concert Debut
    11 Be My Friend Concert Debut
    12 Walk In My Shadow Concert Debut
    13 I'm A Mover Concert Debut
    14 Mouthful Of Grass > Concert Debut
    15 All Right Now Concert Debut

ENCORE

1 Heartbreaker with Bernie Marsden, Concert Debut
    2 The Hunter with Bernie Marsden
    3 Don't Say You Love Me with Bernie Marsden, Concert Debut
    4 Wishing Well with Bernie Marsden

23. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Great show in Dublin a few weeks ago as well. There was very little publicity for the gig but I looked like a " sell-out". We got a couple of nice Van Morrison cover versions.

24. Sammy Waslow

Bananarama in Belfast, two nights ago. The first night of their much-anticipated reunion tour, and it didn't disappoint. Twenty-two songs performed: effectively all the major singles by the original lineup (except one), plus a few surprises, not least a great rendition of Stay by Shakespears Sister, with Keren and Sara doing the Marcella part before Siobhan joined them (albeit without a reenactment of her psycho angel of death routine, like in the video). Great fun. Delighted I went.
    Next up: Depeche Mode.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  25. Matute

Matute Forum Resident

I just saw Terry Riley play with his son Gyan in Tokyo, second show of the night. For the encore he said he was going to play a short one and played about ten minutes of A Rainbow in Curved Air. He started on piano and towards the end switched to a keyboard with the exact same sound from the recording. Great show.

CBS 65780 likes this.