Last network show finally switches to high definition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Even DVDs can reveal stuff in old TV shows that the creators never thought would be seen, so Blu-rays go a step farther.

Harry

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw no mention of The Birds, which has nothing to do with the subject topic. We're only talking about TV shows in HD. The Birds had horrible effects back in 1963, very cheesy composites and bad rearscreen projection. I thought the effects were lame when I was 9. It's still a classic movie in many ways, but technically it's pretty bad. The HD isn't any worse than it was in the theater.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Duh, you answered what I asked, but what I asked isn't what I meant...oops... my mistake
    Are there any good TV Shows that broadcast in surround sound ??

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

:magoo:

5. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

Recently I was watching Gomer Pyle on DVD and I could see the gray/blue eyeliner they used on the main (male) cast members.
    The webbing on William Shatner's toupee can be seen as can the attachment point of Leonard Nimoy's Vulcan ears, in closeups in the original Star Trek.
    HD does no justice to Andrea Mitchell of NBC. I have a HD C/KU-Band satellite receiver and can see she had bad acne as a teen.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I noticed Shatner's toupee as well in HD Star Trek, streamed to my new 40" HD Samsung set via Netflix. Hilarious!

This is the first widescreen and the first LCD set I've ever owned. My last television was a beautiful 4x3 32" Panasonic Tau HD model, which had just a beautiful picture:

[​IMG]

I made good use of it for about 4 years while I lived in LA, starting in 2004 or so, but when I moved to Napa for a year I never bothered hooking it up, and when I moved to a studio apartment in San Francisco, well, there was no way this monster was going to be something I could keep, so I reluctantly sold it. I've been living without a television for 5 years since.

I refuse to pay for cable TV, but I have a cable modem, Netflix and an Amazon Prime membership, so there's plenty to see. I've even subscribed to Hulu Plus, at least for the moment, so I could catch the HD version of UFO they're offering. Always wanted to watch that series when I was a kid, never aired again in my area, decided to finally catch it because I ain't gettin' any younger.

On that one, the kicker is seeing the eyeshadow they put on Ed Bishop. Not just eyeliner, an actual thin strip of blue shadow atop the eyelid. He was kinda bug-eyed and I suspect this was an attempt to compensate...

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This is the first HD set I've had since the big switchover and I'm kind of surprised both by the number of channels I can receive with just an old pair of rabbit ears, and also by what an amazing collection of junk they all are. But then one look at the lame-o advertising they run and it's apparent they can't afford much in the way of programming to begin with...

OldSoul likes this.
  8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Sounds about right. In the UK, they keep squeezing more and more channels into the Freeview multiplexes each year so we get more rubbish to watch at lower video quality. On one of the commercial multiplexes, there's 14 channels broadcasting as we speak, sharing 27.1 Mbps of bandwidth. They're all 544x576 with average video bit rates of 1.65 Mbps MPEG2. Needless to say, they all look like ****.

At least the public service broadcaster channels have some decent standards: 9 MPEG2 channels sharing 24.1 Mbps, resulting in 720x576 @ 2.29 Mbps. Looks sort of acceptable...sometimes.

The BBC multiplex is easily the best in terms of quality: 7 MPEG2 channels at 704x576 (plus some radio stations) sharing 24.1 Mbps, but one of those channels is BBC Parliament and doesn't require much bandwidth most of the time. The other 6 are averaging 2.75 Mbps video. Of course, these channels are rather redundant since they're also all broadcast in HD.

9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

William Shatner...toupee.....Denny Crane...toupee???

Say it isn't so.

This "new" version of LMAD is too long at an hour, but still a fun, escapist hour. Daytime television is one step about a filled toilet.

10. This message reminded me of this video in which he installed it in the attic..

Digital TV DTV And Antennas Rabbit Ears vs Directional Antenna

EdgardV likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm sure you're also waiting to see if this newfangled "stereo" thing is good enough to junk the old mono system.

Hey, she's in her 70s. I want to make a T-shirt that says "I look better defocused." (And I do.)

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.