Late-night horror hosts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Paradiddle, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

He reminds me a little of Eddie Cantor. Cool.

2. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Anybody from L.A. in the late 60's? For the life of me I cannot find anything on my earliest childhood TV memory:

It was a black and white show. It involved at least 1 Witch, (maybe 3?), and they sat around a cauldron, making potions and witchy curse threats. It was probably on Friday nites, and I remember a few episodes at least. It was probably on KHJ(?) Channel 9 in L.A. : Black & White Classic Horror movies followed (we did have amongst first Curtis Mathes Color TV sets back then, so B&W was noticeable to me)

(I think it was Channel 9, and my 2nd earliest TV memory was a music show on that channel called "Boss City")

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

A couple more from Cleveland... I was too young to have seen Ghouldardi... but I did see his successors... Hoolihan and Big Chuck... and then later Big Chuck and Little John. I was even lucky enough to sit in the audience for a taping of that show. Very funny show. I loved it and the movies were great too. Although the one I was at a taping for was really messed up (not a monster movie... more a psychological serial killer thing).

[​IMG]

Also in Cleveland during Saturday afternoons was Superhost! A weird super man guy with red nose. Loved that show too.

[​IMG]

clhboa likes this.
  4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

In Cleveland, Ghoulardi begat The Ghoul who begat Son Of Ghoul. These days you can find Son Of Ghoul at weekend flea markets selling illegitimate dvd-r's of 3 Stooges and other old horror stuff. Everybody's gotta make a living.

5. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Elvira, best cleavage in horror. Didn't care much for the movie, I preferred looking at her. :evil:

6. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

The Cool Ghoul WXIX Cincinnati in the early '70s.

[​IMG]

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

There was only one.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Dr Shock on Channel 17 (I think) in Philadelphia. I don't remember much of the show, except that the set was so cheap, things were falling down and he was always making light about the crappy set, in between the bad puns. I think he had a single out called Let There Be Fright.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

In th'e mid '60s Zacherle hosted a TV show out of Newark called 'Disc-O-Teen'. It was a 'Bandstand' knock-off -- with one curious difference: instead of lip-synching, the musical guests would simply stand around while kids danced to their record.

Apparently all 'Disc-O-Teen' episodes have been lost, except for a show with The Box Tops (which I've seen). There's a rumor that another episode with The Doors still survives, but last I heard it has never turned up.

stereoptic likes this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Milwaukee horror TV played a small but morbidly (no pun intended) fascinating role in rock history when Tom Evans and Badfinger made their car-wreck appearance on 'Shock Theater' in 1982.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ee/+badfinger++horror+milwaukee&hl=en&ct=clnk

Clips are on YouTube

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Milwaukee, Dr. Cadaverino Nightmare Theater.

gates69 and sixtiesstereo like this.
  13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Back in the late 60's thru the 70s, we had a Creature Features in the SF Bay Area, hosted by Bob Wilkins. He was eventually replaced by John Stanley. Their favorite bad movies were titles such as "Mars needs women" or "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

14. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Somebody has to have more footage somewhere.

15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Oddly, I've never found any other footage online, which is criminal. As a Milwaukeean, I grew up
    watching the late Jack Du Blon (Dr. Cadaverino, Albert The Alley Cat), and he truly was a national treasure.
    One of the best, and most hilarious, horror hosts in the country. No matter what, I stayed up late to
    watch, not the films, but his arrogant attitude toward the fans and the gifts/letters they sent to him.
    And he always used great horror surf music as his background music, which I loved. A labor of love
    on his part, and any horror fan in Milwaukee was truly blessed being able to watch him.
    There's a lengthy article about Jack and "Nightmare Theater" on the Milwaukee Horror Hosts
    website. Here's the link
    http://milwaukeehorrorhosts.com/frameset.html
    Also, if you were from Milwaukee, and you watched WITI's "Late Late Show", which
    also showed a lot of classic horror films, this was what they used as their theme music.
    They just used the opening, but you will recognize it immediately if you are from
    Milwaukee.........

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

There was a short clip of Dr. Cadaverino some were, but other than that now lost clip.... if there is more out there it's not surfaced.

17. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I had the advantage of being able to see Sammy Terry in Indianapolis, Dr. Creep in Dayton and The Cool Ghoul in Cincinnati. I am still grateful to Sammy for allowing me to see "Wrestling Women Vs. the Aztec Mummy".

[​IMG]

18. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

Oh, I just remembered watching David Letterman as host of freeze dried movies. He didn't wear the horror make up that we all love, he just made fun of bad movies.

19. Django

Django Forum Resident

The first one I though of was...

[​IMG]

Just made an impression on me.

20. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

It must be strange when someone quotes your four year old post.
    You missed this bizarre little guy called Feep.Hosted a show called'Fantasmic Features' on WNAC Boston.He scared the **** out of me in the late 60's when I stayed up late to watch the movies with my older brothers.He was played by Ed McDonnell,who was Major Mudd,host of a kid's show in Boston for many years.
    [​IMG]

izgoblin and Mark Nelson like this.
  21. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

I seriosusly need full episodes of The Ghoul shows with the movie included....can anybody here help?!

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

23. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I remember that on channel 16. "Uncle Ted" was a studio hand who was also an amateur magician, so the show was his magic tricks. He wore a fez, as I recall. The shows were often amusing. We also got channel 9 out of New York, on which we could watch Chiller Theatre. The hand that came up out of the ground had six fingers. :D

Complier likes this.
  24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I remember one woman named "Misty Brew", sort of an Elvira knock-off... There was also "Ned the Dead", I think he's still around actually (but I rarely watch local TV anymore, so I can't say for sure)...

25. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Another shout out for Sammy Terry. When I was around 8 yrs. old I would stay up and watch Sammy. Sometimes I could not eve make it through the intro to watch the movie he scared me so much. I remember i had a friend of mine stay over and we were going to watch Sammy Terry and the movie Dracula. When Dracula shows up on the screen standing on the stairs my friend freaked out and put on his shoes and ran home in the middle of the night. Great memories of Sammy Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.