Later With Jools Holland- the best music show in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

Every Friday evening on BBC 2 Jools Holland presents the best of the latest new music. The singers or band are invited to the studio, where they gather in a circle, usually five or six bands. Everybody plays live. Some do just one song, bust most do two new songs. Occasionally someone plays three.
    There's a short interview with two of the guests and usually there's a short clip from the past. Sometimes people play together for a one-off.

Last Friday Holland had: David Gilmour, Elvis Costello with Allen Toussaint, Paul Simon (with Steve Gadd in his band), The Streets and a Brazilian drumband. All played two new songs from their latest album. Gilmour had David Crosby and Graham Nash to help him out on the title song of his latest cd, The Streets had a gospel choir. The finale was Paul Simon doing 'Graceland' , followed by Rick Wright doing 'Arnold Lane'. Awesome.

It surely must be the best music show in the world.

Next Friday he'll have Morrisey, Hot Chip and a return of Crosby and Nash.

Evan L and Joti Cover like this.
  2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I wasnt that impressed. Paul Simon is past it and I dont like The Streets much. And the drum band failed to impress me either.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

They show some of these in HD on the "Rave" channel, which is a former VOOM channel, now on Dish Network. Unfortunately, it seems like they only have a few, because they repeat them quite a bit.

4. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

You must admit that 'Arnold Layne' was rather good and most unexpected, wasn't it?

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you would think a U.S. cable station would pick this show up for rebroadcast.

renny

6. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

BBC America used to have this regularly scheduled, but I haven't seen it in awhile. It is the best show out there. There are theme DVDs that have held my wife and over, but we really miss it. An hour of round-robin music of strong diversity.

Mark

7. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I was quite surprised they did that, it seems like they did it for a bit of a laugh, Gilmour/Wright were smiling all the way through!.

Not the best thing I've ever heard, but I was fun to watch, and Gilmour got his Telecaster out for the authentic sound.

I enjoyed the rest of the show, Paul Simon's looking his age and maybe his best work is behind him, but I wouldn't just write him off as 'past it'

Good quality perfomances all round, and Nash/Crosby may be back next week

A couple of weeks ago they had John Fogerty on, I think he played 3 tunes and used a different Les Paul for each. A '56 P90 equipped Goldtop, a Historic Std and a Custom, and got great tone out of each, I haven't heard guitar playing like that for ages,enjoyed that a lot.

It' s a hit or miss show for me, sometimes there's nothing i'm interested in, but I've been watching since the mid 90's, I've got loads taped from the 90's that I'll have to sort through one day.

JJ

8. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I hope you are not going to hold it against him 'just' because he looks his age. Is there a special way you are supposed to look when you are in your 60s?

I thought the version of "gracelands' was excellent and so different to the studio version!

John Fogerty certainly doesn't look his age, now I wonder why?

JG

9. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I believe the Ovation channel carries this show in the US.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

of course i don't get that one!

renny

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Steroids.

Evan L likes this.
  12. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Oops, sorry no offense intended. ;)
    I wasn't holding anything against him. Age has nothing to do with it. I was just mentally comparing to my memories of him from the 80's when I was a kid

Most of my musical hero's are now in their 60's, and i'm only 30. He is still PAUL SIMON, a hugely talented and influential artist.

cheers
    JJ

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The show is usually good, but to be honest I don't like Holland's presentation very much: it's a bit over-excited and exaggerated, he finds everything wonderful/great/fantastic; a little bit less of all of that would do the show a lot of good in my opinion.

The Killer and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This show is so amazing! I love the production work too. Three-camera studio video, just like the old days. Gives it an exciting 'live' feel. I've always been a huge fan of Jools as well. Very talented and often hilarious IMHO.

But I can't see this show anymore since it's not on BBC America. Bummer!

dan c

15. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Let's not forget, MTV and American Idol are quite popular over here...

:confused:

16. James Glennon

No offence taken!

Personally, I was so pleased that someone of his age just didn't 'go through the motions' [like so many artists (young and old) do] and gave such a different take on 'gracelands'!
    JG

17. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

It's great except for Jools Holland who drives me nuts, playing boogie-woogie piano over everthing, he REALLY irritates me.

The Tube was much better

Tim

Former member 30842 likes this.
  18. James Glennon

Yeah! But he used to curse on that show! REMEMBER!
    JG

19. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

ah the days when Rock n Roll was cutting edge...I was 15..Friday 5.30pm , I didn't miss one show.
    1983 REM, The Jams last ever show, the Cure, Pete Townshend, saving Tina Turners career, endless clips of 60's stuff not shown for years...the show's influence was massive.

With Later on at about 11pm, how the flip is that going to get todays kids into music?

20. James Glennon

I think it is for old 'fogeys' like us! just before bedtime!
    JG

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'll have to check to see if this is on BBC America. I'd like to see this broadcast!
    Didn't he start his hosting career on the original MTV Unplugged?

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:laugh:

To be fair he doesn't play boogie-woogie on everything! However, when he does go into boogie-woogie he sounds like a lame impersonation of the great exponents of that fine art. And when he starts to sing then I reach for the remote control!

As for The Tube - I seem to remember it being the combination of Paula Yates and Jools Holland that made it so enjoyable. Cheeky chappie and kooky blonde - it was hard not to enjoy watching those two in their prime.

:)

23. James Glennon

Is there any other Music TV programme remotely like it?
    JG

ponkine likes this.
  24. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

25. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Thanks for sharing! This was the performance at the very end of last Friday night's show and I was almost asleep. It's great to see it again during daylight hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.